1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people put up with dolls that can't sit up?

Jun 1, 2010

1. Still working on getting the Customhouse dolls sitting.

2. My Supergem girl has the same sitting problems everyone else has described, but she's a good stander. My two Elfdolls are very disappointing because it's very hard to get them to stand and that bothers me worse than sitting difficulties. I'm about to wire them.Their knees and the knees of my DIM MSD girl don't seem to fit well at the joints. If you suede or kip them it just makes the joints fit worse and doesn't help at all. The DIM girl (older body) is my worst stander, but she sits and lounges very well. My other two MSDs (BBB Sprite and RS Song) are wired, sueded and strung with the thickest elastic I could get in them. I also s-hooked them and carved down their wrist joints a bit. That done, they pose as well or better than my more expensive dolls. My newest acquisition, an AE Lian Rong tiny boy, is probably my best poser, better than my Soom Beyla, who is rather clunky.

I've got a Loongsoul body on order for a floating head I have. I ordered this body specifically because of the way it posed in photos. I'm hoping that it will be my first really good posing body. If not, I'll probably save up and get a Minifee on an A-line to see what all the fuss is about.

3. I have three EIDs. Not one of them can sit up unassisted with pants on. But look at those bodies. Just LOOK AT THEM.
      Like I GIVE a crap how they SIT? :lol: Priorities, folks.

Actually, no, we cannot "all" agree on that at all. Just because you don't like your money to be spent on a doll that can't sit up doesn't mean that other people share your priorities. The ability to sit unassisted is nowhere near the top of my own list of doll priorities.... My money has wayyyy more important things to worry about. Do I love the face, do I love the resin, do I love the fullset, etc. "Is the body halfway cute?" is as close as I come to sweating the engineering.

So I have a ton of dolls with Special Sitting Needs, but I don't have a problem with it. At home, everybody's either sitting on chairs, or standing in stands. At meetups, either I bring props/stands for them, or else I hold them on my lap the whole time. (Or, quite frequently, they take a seat on a couch that someone else has provided.) If I'm going on a real action-photo outing, then I don't even bring the problem cases; I bring the SD10, who sits & stands like a rock, or the SDCutes, who are like action-figures. But the majority of my dollyplay is photography, at home, with guys in sultry lounging poses on cushions, so sitting is zero problem.

Your doll's body is designed the way the company made it, so you either: (a) modify it to your liking, (b) replace it with a different one that suits your needs, or (c) deal with it.

4. Anju has some issue sitting, mainly that she cannot sit with her legs out in front of her very well. If her knees are bent she can sit forever. I don't think she CAN slouch. But that's just the way she's made, she's a Dollfie Dream II so her exoskelleton parts get in the way sometimes when posing. But I'm pretty sure Dollfie Dreams were made to appeal to male Otaku's by being able to look awesome in sexy tight anime clothing (or naked) and stay in a position for a very long time not for being able to sit with their legs out in front. I got her because I like DD's, not because she can sit awesomely or not.

People buy dolls for different reasons, the main one being the sculpt. Often whether or not it can sit well doesn't come into the equation. Though if people are that worried about whether or not a certain sculpt they like has certain posing quirks, they should do some research and ask around before buying- so as to avoid possible dissapointment. If someone else did get such a doll that can't sit up straight with no support- which is a very stiff, unatural, and uncomfortable pose for a human let alone a doll, why should it matter? As long as they're happy with it, it shouldn't.

5. I don't particularly care about sitting or about posing. I buy a doll because I like the artistic look of the doll~ Personally, I'd rather have a prettier body that wears pretty clothes, even if she has to be propped up to sit. My dolls aren't hard to get to sit up, but I don't fuss with it all that much. Everyone has different key points when it comes to dolls. If I did have a floppier doll, I wouldn't consider it a fault or defect, and I wouldn't contact the company. I'd only do something like that if I knew that the doll was supposed to be able to hold a certain pose, and others dolls did, and mine had a particular error.

6. Love is blind- and it doesn't care if the doll sits, stands or slouches!
      To be honest, it depends what you want the doll for as to how it sits (or poses in general).
      If, like me, you enjoy how they look, playing with them and taking a few (not very professional) pictures, then it's personal choice as to if it poses well. If you're getting a doll for photography/art/etc. overall then you're going to want something that poses well. Even then, if the doll has a really gorgeous aesthetic that you're looking for you might not mind the posing ability!
      It's all personal choice and opinion.

If you don't think it's worth the money, don't buy one that can't sit/pose well. Or invest in something cheaper etc.

7. My EID Jessica has the mobility joint. She sits just fine. /shrug

Volks dolls for me have been the worst to get to sit. It could have been their stringing or just their body structure.

8. To be honest, my SD boy is hard to get sitting right unless he's leaning on something. He can sit up, but it takes quite a bit of fussing to make him do it. However, it's not hard to get him standing on his own (I've got that one down to under a minute of posing), and when he does sit up, it's worth it. He's my first doll and I love him, even if he doesn't pose well.
      I have been thinking lately though to buy him an extra body (because I want the pretty hands and more-or-less hidden joints), but there's a possibility that the new body will still have problems (since his head is rather heavy for an SD). In any case, I think it's really up to how much the person is attached to the doll. If they find a sculpt they really like, even if it doesn't sit well, then they go for it. They can always wire the doll later if it annoys them.

9. Word.

I don't demand that my big guy be a champion poser. It's more than enough that he looks the way he does... The form in his case allows me to overlook the lack of function. XD

10. I kinda like the slouch factor some doll have. It's always been unnatural to me that a doll sits straight up like a solider at attention. I think it's adorable and adds character to a sleepy or dreaming doll. Who sleeps with their hands down by their side and on their back all the time anyway? lol

11. Because I love them. So, they don't post perfectly. They have sweet, adorable faces and look lovely in their clothes. They can just sit propped up.

12. My Custom House Cebee can't sit either. But she is my very first girl and I still love her very much T_T So I put up with her orz.................

13. My kid delf hodoo occasionally has problems sitting but if I put his hands behind his back he can prop himself up and look cute doing it so it's forgivable. I blame it on the fact that I have him tightly strung. He did sit fine before then, but he kept kicking his feet off. It was one or the other.

Otherwise, Fei - my kid delf bory on the limited version body (he has that patch on his back that can pop out for the wings) sits fine. I suspect that's because of the build of the body being made to support the weight of resin wings.

Icarus sits very well due to the number of joints his body has. He can sit cross legged without putting a single joint out of place. My only complaint with Icarus is how unnaturally straight his back is when sitting unless you choose to slouch him. He sits up so straight that on occasion he does topple backwards. It's not a huge deal to me. I've transferred Des' habit to Icarus and just place his hands behind him to prop him up.

Seung is forgivable in everything right now. He can't sit up without being propped up, but this is with good reason. Seung was purchased second hand on the market and his body is possibly about three years old. The joints that used to keep him sitting upright have worn down so much from the love of his previous owners that without sueding he has no hope of holding himself upright in a sitting position. Yes, this does bother me when trying to take pictures of him. I work around it for now and plot to get him a new body in the future - once I can find a decent match for three year old doc resin. It doesn't diminish my love for him though. I bought him knowing his age and flaws but had fallen in love with his face to the point I couldn't let him stay on the market anymore. I'm not about to get rid of him because he's an old fart with a worn down body.

14. I hear ya! I admire the EID boys for so many reasons...and sitting isn't one of them!

15. The B&G boy I just sold gave me nightmares trying to get him to sit properly. He could slouch, but his character wasn't supposed to- he's very prim and proper. I had other issues with the doll fitting the character, but that was really my deal-breaker, and I DID have to part with him because of it. My dolls being able to sit next to me and keep me company (lol) is very important to me.

Of course, there are exceptions. We knew Amber would have some issues, due to her unusual construction, and we were happy to accept the sacrifice. But for a normal, human-shaped body, I DO consider it very poor design if a doll can't sit. I also find it very unusual, given the assortment of bodies we've gotten to play with.

16. In all honesty, not one of my dolls are great posers. The mecha has standing issues, my delf looks odd sat with his legs infront of him due to his back's arch. My bernard is on a supergem body which has masses of issues at the moment...he likes falling backwards unless I slouch him. My EID has the same sitting issues as all seem to in his tight jeans.

I kinda got used to it and don't mind much. 'Sides, I like Geist to slouch, and Bowie looks pretty awsome languidly layed out on the fluffy animal-print cusions. Their inability to do these things unaided adds a kinda charm...that they are still dolls and do rely on the owner's help.

17. I have a Doll In Mind Galahad and he is horrifically difficult to make sit. He has a weird, almost arched back and when I attempt to sit him, he always flops backwards. However he stands really well so I guess that makes up for it a little.
      It really does bug me about him and sometimes I do think of selling him, but I love the character too much and the sculpt is too much 'him' to really think about it. Maybe one day though if I need the money!

18. There are dolls that can't sit up? O_O I think I just wouldn't buy them. ._.

19. Yes it would annoy me if my dolls couldn't sit. But reading this thread it seems a bit like it's paramount that the owner learns his/hers dolls posing quirks. I have seen mentioned that EID super hero's can't sit and another owner says they can, earlier in this thread somebody said that their JID girl couldn't sit but mine can (without the mobility joint may I add). Some dolls need to be coaxed in to sitting it seems...

20. 1. Do you have a doll that can't sit up? Did you contact the company? Does it bother you?
      - My Crobidoll Ys can't sit up if his legs are hanging off the edge of something. Lol. ^__^;;
      But I did get him to sit the other day like that. However I think it's more of a stringing problem.
      He is strung WAAAAY to loose. And that's what I think the problem is. > A>
      We'll see once I get him restrung. XD