1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people put up with dolls that can't sit up?

Jun 1, 2010

1. My dolls do have a slight problem with sitting. They can't sit up straight, only hang a bit to the back :p Though it is solved with some hotglue sometimes. I'm not really bothered by it. Though they need a support for straight sitting up, they can sit up almost by themselves without, even though they hang a bit.
      Maybe that is also caused by too tight stringing, don't know for sure but don't really care either...

A friend has extremely floppy dolls :p I didn't understand a while back why she had them like that but it has its charm. It just takes some practice and when you learned to control them, it's so fun to play with them ^^

2. 1. - I've never owned a doll that couldn't sit straight in some form though Heliot is driving me utterly batty and has to slouch. It does bother me that particularly expensive dolls aren't even strung right to stop flopping.

2. - If I had paid vast sums for a doll (so, over $500 for a SD, as a ballpark figure) and it couldn't sit or pose I'd probably raise it as a design flaw with the manufacturers and see if I couldn't fix it myself somehow.

3. My Soom/RS hybrid girl is very floppy and can't sit without being proped up.

Since she was second hand, her previous owner had left her very floppy and I thought it would bother me since my other dolls are tighly strung and stand so easilty.
      So when she arived I restrung her, got her to stand and sit up; and then I reslied I liked her being floppy. She does slouched and relaxed looking poses beautifully.
      She's know pretty much known by her nickname of floppy, by a complete conicidence she had the same nickname from her previous owner.

Honestly, having them being able to stand/sit unatended is nice but not important.

4. Being able to pose is important to me. I have only had one doll that couldn't sit (Iplehouse) and she can sit now that she's sueded.

5. You just love your dolls, lol, even if they have some issues sitting or standing unassisted. I definitely have doll or two that's a little floppier than I'd like, but that really means I need to get down to the job of restringing and sueding the doll, to be honest.

My first doll was Volks Nono Pureskin. Now I love my little Eden to death and she's awesome-tastic, but I dove into face up work and she was my first experiment in that realm...hence she had to be unstrung and such. The face up came out ok, but I didn't do the best job of restringing, so now Eden is my floppy little sweet heart. But that's my fault, lol, not hers or Volks. I've had her for about 5-6 years, so its high past time I purchased some new elastic cording to give her a good restringing and it definitely wouldn't kill me to suede her. But her floppieness doesn't make want to get rid of her....it makes me want to improve my skills. So she has to sit in a chair for pictures for now. Not such a biggy considering even as a doll seamstress I have plenty of other lovely girls that can stand when I need a model for photographing a new dress I've made.

6. I sold the doll who could not sit or stand(Glorydoll). It drove me that crazy! I realized the hard way that posing and body shape were very important to me. I have been careful not to fall in love with just any face since then. I know how I get when the body is not to my expectations. It just ruins the whole experience for me and frankly, I can't put up with it.

<<<< ------ This doll here (my avatar) was the answer to that nightmare. ShinyDolls are the best posers and I was soooooooooo happy when I got her. I also find that my Volks SD13 bodies sit very well as does my MiniFee although she needs some coaxing.

7. Having a doll that doesn't want to sit sounds very frusterating. I don't think I'd put up with it.

8. Of all my resins only one has a sitting issue: Rosen Lied Apple and frankly, if i wasn't suck a lazy biyatchi I'd loosen her strings. THAT would take care of it. All my other kids (see list below) sit up just fine and dandy.

9. Considering the price of the dolls, I think being able to function as intended is important, and the function should happen w/o modification.

HOWEVER

I do have one doll that I don't trust to leave sitting by herself w/o back support-my blue fairy. She can sit. She sits very straight and lady-like...but she takes effort, and cannot slouch to correct the problem.

AND
      she is my favorite doll.

I think standing is actaully easier than sitting when it comes to the way BJDs are built, and my bluefairy looks lovely no matter what standing position I put her in. I think standing is more impressive looking than sitting, and generally if she's doing something, its sitting in a chair or standing. So I am not bothered by her 'not wanting to sit by herself'-ness

10. This is my current problem haha. I have a DSAM32 Saint and his way of 'sitting' is a little frustrating. This is probably because he doesn't sit like most BJD. I'm beginning to think his creator made the body with standing and lounging around in mind. Gaah. I think the thing that bothers me most is that I cannot sit him in the crook of my arm and carry him around like my other dolls. He likes to flop forward onto his thighs... (T_T). Hopefully pants will help out with sitting and carrying thing. [EDIT: It does! WoOhoO \(^o^)/ ]

I deal with it because he is beautiful and awesome otherwise. ;)

11. Do you have a doll that can't sit up? Did you contact the company? Does it bother you?

My Iplehouse JID I can't sit. =/ My friend and I found out that it seems to be the joint. With a little bit of sueding, I'm sure she'll be able to sit! ^^ Since I found out what exactly is wrong, I felt no need to contact Iplehouse, It really doesn't bother me much!

12. In photos of bjd's I've seen the dolls slumped backwards instead of sitting up. Sometimes it seems it is the doll's armature, the way it is put together. The dolls look odd sitting together all slumped backwards. Though, also, perhaps lacking a way to prop up the doll to sitting up position. My Volk's SD16 "Jo" I noticed his butt sticks out at the back when he sits. This is correct for getting balance as male figure skaters stick their butts out when in landing a jump or a spin.
      Making furniture for the bjd's, I would make a kind of fine bean bag cushion that could go behind the doll as a prop to help the doll sit up in the chair, sofa.

13. Sitting.... sitting... hmm... You know, I couldn't tell you who all amongst my ranch can sit and who can't. They all stand. All the time. Unaided. That's my requirement.
      *cough* ...after the whole "ooo pretty!" requirement... :sweat

JennyNemesis, you took the words right out of my head. :lol:
      ...I thought you had more than three? My fourth just arrived at my friend's, and I still want a fifth that was intended to be the first...

14. My Illusion Spirit Zhu Qing (sp?) is a little....against sitting upright ^^;; If he doesn't wear trousers, he's quite good at sitting, but in his jeans...grr >.< He just falls backwards!
      My Resin Soul Mei is a little unsturdy, but in the right position, she sit's very nicely ^^ I have a jewellery box shaped like an armchair, so she sits in that! xD

15. GIGGLE!!! Yep, and my Elfdoll boys sit magnificently but are the world's biggest PITAs to pose (part of the reason they appear in stories veeerrrrryyyyy slooooowwwwllllly ... takes a Herculean effort to get them to do what I want). Matters not a whit to me; I love their faces and their chests, and well... yep! That's what does it for me. :)

Yes, you crack me up. It's always worth finding a JennyNemesis post at the end of a frustrating day, just to put things In Perspective! :lol:

16. XD All I can say is.... AMEN SISTER!

I have four minis, two on RS boy bodies that don't like to sit up ramrod straight, and that's okay! I don't want them too. Give the torso a bit of a tilt forward and they sit fine. My DollFamily boy body is fabulous to sit, plops down straight and doesn't budge. My fiddly guy is my Dollzone double-jointed boy body. He likes to tilt to one side, so I have to pop his centre piece back straight before he'll do upright, and I prefer that he lounge gracefully rather than do that whole 'ruler straight' sitting thing.

My AIM is to have an EID Chase sitting around, do I care that he sits upright? Not particularly. I'm not buyin' him for his posing honey! Do you see those biceps and shoulders? If there were real men like that we'd be all over them. Besides, I've heard of worse EID issues than sitting, like manliest men ever made with the weakest ankles alive. That might make me more aggrivated than the sitting!

17. The first BJD Volks released were essentially designed to be displayed with a doll stand.
      If you like the doll you appretiate it not as an action figure but as a work of art.

18. I just received my first doll, and found that she has this problem. She just can't seem to sit up on her own. It bothers me, but I'm not sure what to do about it :(

19. Wow are you serious? D:
      i also have a Illusion spirit ZhuQing, and he sits like a rock no matter what hes dressed in D:
      but i think his stringings quite tight ^o^ his arms normal snap back to being crossed from time to time xD
      but other then that he sits really well :0

20. Oddly enough I have noticed that a lot of people mention problems with their Super Gem girls, and I have had two, still own one, and worked on several and never once noticed a problem with them sitting fine. The big culprit for me was the SD10 oldskin volks body, which would seriously not sit properly without a chair, due to the arched back. Currently I don't own any that won't sit, and it would definitely be a factor in my keeping a body around if it wouldn't.