1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you buy BJDs?

May 25, 2010

1. First doll: I was going to buy a Kid Delf but then I got disheartened coz I didn't have much money at the time. But after my 17th birthday, I decided I was going to get one and the BlueFairy Louis mould stood out to me. A few months later I got him.

Second doll: He's a white skin version of my first doll. He was sort of an impluse buy as he was a left over from an event, but I don't regret buying him now (my favourite doll +_+). I got him a year later.

Third doll: Few months later I got this doll. I sort of got influenced coz I saw a few cute yo-sds at the last few meets. And then when I saw Fairyland release him, I got him >_< I still feel a bit unsure of having him as my ideal yo-sd (coz I don't plan to buy anymore unless I replace him) but I think he fits in so I'm not too fussed atm :3

I'm trying not to get carried away and buy dolls unless I really want them now XD I have a few moulds in mind that I want but I want another Bluefairy louis (valentine version *w*) so I'm gonna wait til he gets released again til I buy other dolls :3

2. I buy dolls because they make me happy. I love my action figures & obitsu/volks as much as my larger dolls. Although I'm always afraid of chipping fragile resin on the bigger ones. They seem a bit more fragile than my 1/6 dolls. I have to laugh at the sentiment expressed earlier in the thread of smaller dolls just snapping apart as if a 3 year olde is collecting them! :lol: What nonsense!

I bought my first BJD(DD1) after much searching and just loved the more mature body, plus I was about to have our second baby. My second BJD purchase was on account of me turning 30. My next will be a present partly in honor of the hard work I do with thr kids & around the house and partly because my husband and I have been together 10 years(married 7). Special dolls for special occassions!

3. I will buy my second doll because I had fun waiting for and making my first doll. Another reason is with my second doll I might try doing a character for her as well instead of just a style concept. There are a lot of looks I'm not willing to try myself (tattoos, extreme hair styles/colors, piercings, etc) for personal and professional reasons and with a doll, I can experiment with all these things. A mini fashion extension.

4. My first doll was bought after much, much deliberation, because I wanted a little model to sew for. The second was a girl, so I had a girl I could make dresses and such for. The third was a total impulse buy - A friend was getting a doll from Bobobie, so I got a Sprite at the same time. And my fourth was my attempt at venting my frustration with sculpting - Since I couldn't *make* myself a cute new doll, I'd just have to *buy* one.

5. Well.... I first saw this awesome doll at a con. He was really tall. I was thinking "I want one!"

After that I went to sell art at cons a few years and I kept seeing them. I saw someone selling one.... and I asked the price and they said $800.... and I didn't have that much.

I bought some Pullips.... but they just weren't the same... finally I got a large sum of money saved up and I bought my first BJD... and she was by a banned company on DOA. O_O; I was very mad my doll was from some place that copied molds. As an artist that was a big no no thing to me.

I bought a MSD from a non-banned company and gave my other doll to a friend who likes dolls. ._. After that... I was thinking... "My doll needs a friend". Then the friends kept rolling in....

To make a long story short... I buy dolls cause I think they are beautiful artwork!!

6. I just got Mekare a few weeks ago from my hubby as an early anniversary present. I will randomly find things online and he adds it to my "gift list". When I saw her online, I squeed so loud he knew I had to have her :D She's a Hujoo berry (a practice doll if you will), and I am saving for a Super Dollfie or a MSD sized BJD simply to have different sizes and different cute factors ^_^

7. my first doll i saved up for a few months. i ended up not keeping her. i think i buy them based on their face and body molds, how they fit my tastes, and what i would like to sew for them! its like there is something i want them to be and i enjoy making them into that.

8. I see a doll I really like, I buy it. It's really not a deep thoughtful process. I don't like all that many, especially these days.

9. You took the words right out of my mouth :lol:, these are my main reasons. Also, I love how perfect/flawless and beautiful some dolls are <3.

10. My first BJD was completely instant gratification. I was at a convention in 2006 and had decided to get a doll if I sold $x amount. Well, at that time BJDs were not all that common at cons, but one of the dealers had a slim selection of the SoulDoll SDs and I fell in love with Paris. He's my only boy and I still love him. The rest of my dolls were (mostly) planned and I fell in love with them before I bought them. XD

11. I've been in love with BJDs for quite some time now. I remember randomly falling into the D.O.D website and loving the Sha and Shall dolls, but it was mostly aesthetic love. Hahaha. I still recollect the time I went back on that website and made the picture of them together my wallpaper. After months, I never gave the dolls much thought again.
      Next thing you know, I'm on deviantART, and I see that a beautiful looking doll is taking up the front page. So I look at it, and I just start obsessing over them. I just had to become informed about them. I tried finding the D.O.D website, and at this point, I couldn't remember the link, and when I finally found it, I was rather disappointed that the dolls were really expensive. That had nothing to do with me not wanting them though... They were beautiful, but I just wasn't as in love with them anymore. I did more searching and FINALLY found the one I wanted. The Bobobie Apollo. I just ADORE that doll. Seriously, you have no idea! To top it all of, it was a fraction of the cost of a D.O.D doll! Definitely a plus!
      And well, to answer your question, I've wanted a BJD to keep it as a companion. I want something that will keep me interested and get my creative juices flowing. Plus I never really had any toys growing up as a kid, so I gotta spoil myself sometime! ^_^

12. I like them as characters. For me I have a character in mind, and then try to find a model to go with it. It's kind of like giving your imaginary friend a body? That's probably the strangest I've ever described it XD But I like the idea behind taking a basic doll base and transforming it into something unique and all your own that no one else anywhere has. I've made figures from sculpey and things like that, but they can't move- they just sit there. I really like the idea of being able to pose them.

13. Shes beautiful!

14. Oh gosh 3 of my 1st dolls finger snapped off & BOY did I freak! I still cant get thejm 2 stay on DX

15. First doll: Had wanted a doll for years, finally had saved up the money and chose Unidoll Ark, after much consideration (the others were Soom Sabik and Dollshe Hound).

Second doll: When I saw the limited Cynical Baby Cathy on Cherishdoll's website, I simply HAD to get her. Made a bargain with myself, though: "If they still got her in stock by that and that date, I'll get her for Christmas." They did and I got her and not even two weeks later, she was home. I simply love that "very, very angry Anne of Green Gables" look of hers ...

Third doll: Much the same as with the Cynical Baby - saw Akando and I just HAD to get him. Besides, he just happened to be perfect for Morgan. *grin*

Fourth doll: Celaran. Now, he's a doll I've been wanting ever since I first heard about Minimees. I was going "wouldn't it be cool to turn Celaran into a doll?". There's little Celaran already, a Dollfie NeoGuy (one of the small "cheap" ones). But I wanted big Celaran, too. Last Christmas, D.I.M. was doing that special offer on Minimee-heads and I just happened to have enough Christmas money left to get the head. And then, Unidoll happened to offer unstringed dolls for pretty cheap (well, compared to what their dolls usually cost ...) and I decided to grab one. And now, Celaran's sitting at home, next to Luken (my Ark) and patiently waits for me to finally get started with sewing his proper elf clothes (he's wearing some of Luken's stuff now, thank god they're the same size).

That said, my main reason for getting those dolls was probably "Well, I wanted them and I had the money to buy them." :D

16. My first 3 were Elf Dolls. I ordered the first one as I loved face, and DH bought me my second one which was in stock at store DDE. He of course arrived first and I was in love. Had never seen let alone held a BJD let alone knew sizes. My first 3 were SD. But it all started to get crazy as I tried to not only get more but learn more. Now 3 years and over 200 dolls later I am in a better place. know what I like, what I don't as far as bodies, companies and sizes. Now it thrills me to no end when people ask me for advice.

17. Edited due to me not reading it right! Sorry!

I really don't know why I bought mine; it's literally the greatest irony of my life. For some reason, they just fascinated me after a while.... The compulsion of the BJD? Yo no se (i don't know)!

18. 1st - I've always been intrigued by bjds ever since I saw Bonhwa's dolls 4? years ago on Deviant Art but never seriously thought about owning one until my sis got one. She had to show me Doll-Love's Anona and I instantly fell in love with her little lips and just had to have her. I mainly got her for photography and drawing and always had the idea in my head that if I ever got sick of her, I could sell her. But, now, I'd never even think of parting with her.

2nd - Sevin started looking very lonely in pics and when she was in pics with my sister's dolls, she'd look evil like "this is mine! I own you now!" so I decided to get her her own little slave. Except, he's very antisocial and I'm not sure if I really care for his mold now that I have him.

I'm going back and forth on ordering a Luts Lishe ever since I held Pen-Pen's Riley and I kid you not, the girl is haunting my dreams! So chances are, she'll be my third doll. I really only intended to have 2 dolls until I saw Riley..it's not fair!

19. I was into offtopic 1/6 dolls for awhile so it was natural that my first doll would be 60cm obitsu. I bought her head from ebay and while waiting for her body to ship from Junky Spot I ordered my second doll.

My second doll was a bit of an impulse. I had some money left in my doll fund and while browsing Ebay I found a tiny resin that was just too cute to pass up. A week later an oreintdoll SO showed up at the door. I was amazed at her size and detail but it wasn't until my third doll that I got the resin fever.

My third doll was second hand DZ Megi. I saw him on the MP for a few weeks before I contacted the seller and purchased him. When I held him for the first time it was rather odd. He was so heavy compared with my Obitsu but I loved it. I've been hooked ever since. Now I have a whole family of dolls and I love it.

20. I buy dolls I love, price doesn't come into it for me because if I love a mold I'll just wait until I can afford it rather than settling for a cheaper alternative that doesn't grab me as much. I do have to prioritise, though because it's going to take me a long time before I can get another doll off my wishlist.

It took me years to find the doll for me but I always knew she was probably only going to be the first. And now I've got a wishlist and my second on the way :D My first was a girl and I wanted both genders represented on my shelf so I knew I'd have to have a boy, too. But these two are quite mature and I've found myself wanting a cute younger boy next. I'd also like a tiny I can fit in my handbag and take out with me. So I guess I buy BJDs because one alone can't fulfill all my dolly desires.

I never liked dolls much when I was a kid but BJDs have always appealed to me from the moment I saw them. I like the Hans Bellmer weirdness of their joints and the presence they have. But I also like the fact they're such patient photography models and like guneko says they can be great "fashion extensions" I can only wear one hair style at once but I can have lots of doll wigs and eyes and get it out of my system that way :)