1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you buy BJDs?

May 25, 2010

1. Different reasoning for every doll really.
      (oh I'm bored today...)

1st doll: I can't really explain. I was not a doll person but I just wanted it. I was in love, lol.
      I actually first wanted Volks Lucas but the size and price scared me, I soon after found DoD Kirill and it was over! *click* ordered.

2nd: DiM Aleksei, I adored DiM boys but at this time was still sworn to only have mini size dolls.
      DiM came out with their Happy line, I had to have Aleksei.

3rd: Volks Schulze, I think I saw a pic in the gallery, or one FS in the marketplace that I missed out on that I fell for his cute expression. I ended up getting one off Y!J.

4th:
      Volks Yori, It was either when Kun or Souseiseki was released when I first remember seeing nude pics of the solid torso girl body and thought the sculpt was so beautiful. Honestly, I bought the body and then bought the Yori head because it was a decent price and a cute girl head to go on the body. I loved my Yori much more than actually expected after the head arrived. A big step for me in doll collecting, first SD size doll and first girl!

5th: K-Doll SP Kill_U, I just thought he was a cool looking boy. Thought I needed another SD size doll so my Yori wouldn't be hanging around kids all the time.

6th: SoNyeonGi Hyul SH, well when "cool looking boy" didn't end up working out I wanted another boy. Fell in love with one of Yian's personal dolls first, jumped at the chance to get a Hyul.

7th:SoNyeonGi Javi, maybe a bit of an impulse buy. Thought he was cute, loved my Hyul so got another SNG head.

8th:Dollzone Celine, I actually only bought this doll for the body which was to be used for another doll, the head was to be faceup practice.

9th:Pixydoll Mano, so I was on a bit of an 'artist head' kick. Mano looked like such a perfect lovely girl from the photos, how was I to know that once I had her she seemed to make a better boy. >_>

10th:
      Volks Ryu, he reminded me of my Kirill, but way cooler! Entered for the Volks lottery and won!

11th: Volks Bianka, so I have this left over girl body lying around, Bianka's body...
      (was actually wanting Rose more at the time but someone locally happened to be selling a Bianka head so it worked out perfectly.)

12th: Volks Okita Souji SDGr, the newest addition. I still was wanting an SD size boy after the previous several not working. Okita is perfect, looks like a big brother to my Ryu whom I adore. I was actually very afraid to buy him for fear he wouldn't fit in as well but entered the Volks lottery anyway figuring "I'll leave it to fate." and guess what!?

It's a little odd that the dolls I still currently own (#10, 11 &12) have all come to me somewhat by chance. I guess that doesn't say much for my reasoning methods.:lol:
      Overall, I guess I can say I buy them because I think they are beautiful and I like having pretty things. :D
      Anymore, "fitting in" to the collection also does seem to play a role as well.

2. I like collecting all sorts of things from vinyl toys, and figures.
      I like anything I see as "cute". I saw BJDs about five years ago
      on some site I can't remember and then kinda forgot about till recently and I looked into it more and fell in love
      with how they were made. I really wanted something I could actually spend time playing around with instead of just something I put up on my desk and hardly ever touch. My first BJD was a lati yellow I love him to bits but, he's so small and a few months later ordered a KDF Bory who I am still waiting for. I find BJD's to be a lot more unique than figmas or nendoroids are and BJDs aren't just cute but, you can actually do more with them than place them someplace and look at how cute they are and then never touch them again. They are a lot nicer to collect than Obitsus or Azone or fashion dolls and in proportion. I really like dolls to have good proportions I have one Obitsu and his body is just gross. BJD's are just built so lovely.

3. I've always loved dolls in general..but when I first saw BJDS I was completely smitten..obsessed actually. I found the idea of a jointed doll you could customize fascinating. This was waaaay back when Volks was the only company and you had to use a shopping service to get a hold of one..and believe me, it was a real pain. My first BJD was a Unoss..the most realistic, adult sculpt at the time..I fell in love with her beautiful hands. As much as I loved the concept though, price was a factor. I focused instead on 'art' dolls for a good many years..but when I happened across BJDS again, they had evolved so much (not that I do not still have a huge respect and appreciation for Volks) and there were so many companies and such a vast array of sculpts to choose from..well, I just couldn't help but fall in love all over again....! My motivation to purchase a doll is usually because that particular doll suits one of my 'characters'..or sometimes, it's simply that I find the sculpt beautiful or interesting in some way.

4. Well, the thing is I have a weird thing where I have to to have a current hobby where I collect things on a regular basis.
      The reason BJDs got onto my list, was mainly the fact that, with most things, if I like something enough, I get it.
      BJDs are of course expensive, so of course, it took me a couple of years before I actually got up the guts to be like, "Hey parents... You should buy me this pretty and expensive thingy you can't really use or play with yourself..."

I ended up buying them, also because the certain BJDs I like have a look that I find very pretty.
      I also like things that I can play with (videos games and things like that), so I really like them in that way.
      There more reasons that I just can't place right now. @_@

5. My first wasn't a quick-buy and for me... well sort of. I really wanted the doll and before I couldn't figure a means of obtaining it (did not work at the time) so I slept on it for a long time until I actually saw it in person at an anime convention from a dealer selling BJDs (finally working). For a doll her size I thought she was really expensive and I gave it some thought. I figured that I may never have an opportunity to see this doll available again and in person even (limited quantities)! And that's what justified my purchased.

6. because i love them^^

7. I have no BJD's yet(though im very close to buy one-just cant choose which!! ^^) ,but i deffinetly know wh i need tham.I love everythingperfect anf beautiful- and bjd girls are the perfect women for me. So
      I just desperatly want such beauty to be by my side

8. Because I love dolls and this hobby :)

9. Like someone said earlier; I don't know.

Seriously, reading through this thread I've tried to remember my reasoning back in 2007 when I bought my first one... but I can't.

I've always been a hardcore collector of things, though. I collect anything. From ladybirds and rocks when I was a kid to books and lotr figuirines as a teenager(still collect books though), so I guess something big like bjds would come eventually. Only thing is, though, I've never liked dolls. They scared the living crap out of me as a kid. Seriously traumatized. I remember I bound a rock around one of my dolls and sunk her down in a water and consequently lied awake every night since, afraid she'd return from the dead or something. Anyway! On topic:

I suppose it's the collector in me. Well, now it's the collector in me, but I don't know why I first started collecting bjds of all things. I guess it's because they're so "collectible".

I'll do as Nell did and make a rundown (funtaims)

1st: I don't know. I only knew about bjds as the scary dolls with the batshit owners, then one of my fav artists on dA got one, and I really admired the art she made out of him, and wanted something similar. Reading up on it I figured MSD was a nice thing to start with. Researching companies such as Luts, Lati and Volks I finally stumbled across DZ of all things. Their Mo was just alien/elfish/not human looking enough that I fell in love. Still love him dearly.

2nd: By now my friend had gotten into the hobby too, and we were making an elaborate story with characters. My next character was supposed to be a really nerdy, fragile, half-Japanese. Looking around I stumbled upon Soom Namu. Bought him perhaps three months after my first. He stood in danger of being sold, though (after my friend sold all hers), but after a remake he's more loved than ever.

3rd: Instant buy. I saw DiM's newest boy in the love line; Arno, and fell madly and deeply in love. I based his character vaguely of Alphonse in Fullmetal Alchemist. It didn't work out, sadly, and I sold him half a year after.

4rth: Another instant love, like the third. I was looking for wigs on Leeekeworld when I figured I'd check out their dolls. Saw Cliffe. They only had his head for sale, so I bought it and sent it onwards for faceup without looking at it. How I dared is beyond me now. I got him back (sadly a bit worse from wear after a very rough time during shipping), but fell madly in love. Took me over a year and a half to put him together, but I am happy.

5th: I had been out of the hobby for a year and am currently trying to glide in again. I wasn't really up to buying anything new for a while, you know, trying to get to know the marked again and all. But then I noticed the new, huge, influx of adorable tinies and I figured, it's time I got that honey delf muffin I've been ogling for so long. So I did. Currently waiting excitedly.

6th: Been dreaming around the marketplace for a while, checking out dolls I've vaguely wanted for a while. You know, checking out how they sell and all. I like to open up the threads, look at the pictures, imagine what character I'd make for them. During one of these "raids" I stumbled upon Migidoll Jina and... I didn't really think, I just bought her. I hope she'll be another 4rth rather than 3rd. Still waiting :D

Sorry for long, winding post about nothing D:

10. I think long and hard about buying each doll because they cost so much, but as for choosing which one to buy, it's almost always been love at first sight.

11. Why do you buy BJDs?

Because I like them!

Seriously, though, I was being overrun with fixed pose anime figures when these crossed my radar. And it was alllll over.

12. Why do I buy BJDs?

Poor impulse control, mostly. ;)

Well, that and there's something about the heft of a bjd, even a tiny, that just makes me feel all squishy inside. Also, the creep factor. I love creepy stuff, and it seems to be overwhelming opinion of those OUTSIDE the hobby that they're creepy (I both don't get it and delight in that at the same time).

I do remember first happening upon Volks dolls (they were the first I saw, I came over from Pullips) and thinking "Who in their right mind would pay seven hundred dollars for a DOLL?!" And then they started haunting me, and the justifications started. Also, the discovery of smaller sizes and more companies with less expensive molds helped. My first was a dollmore kid Calvin called White Dream Calvin with lovely blue eyes and this wicked white fur wig that I've never even managed to change. He was a combination b'day/Christmas present. Most of the few I've purchased since have been literal impulse buys. I'm hoping to get my first SD sized girl soon.

13. I always had a thing for dolls, yo ;~;

I used to collect holiday Barbies when I was a little kid and I stopped when I was 12. It's been a thing of mine, the dolls, since I was a kid.

But the reasoning behind it is that I love these sculpts and their uniqueness. Honestly, the biggest thing for me is that I love making things and customizing their faces. In short, it's fueled my love for crafts, that's why I buy them.

14. I have been looking for myfirst doll and spent a couple of months looking at them and trying to decide when BAM. I saw a Migidoll Ryu and knew that was just the one for me. I am currently trying to buy one :). So yes, I saw the mold and fell in love with it.

15. Well, since I planned out all the dolls I wanted after I got my first, it just became a matter of which ones I could buy more readily, and which ones I wanted sooner. Now I'm trying to get them in a certain order so that when they get here they'll have another character doll already here that they can "interact" with in photoshoots and such. Like, the characters that are related, or friends, or lovers. Just so that I have something to do with them when they get here. But all the molds on my list are ones I've been eyeing for a while and absolutely adore. I do waffle between sculpts for certain characters sometimes, and it sometimes has to do with a lower price, but I learned not to let price dictate what molds I want. I like the molds I like, and I'll get them one way or another.

16. I haven't bought one yet, but my first one (and any that might follow in the far flung future) will be well thought out purchases. Not just because of the price that I would have to save a while for, but it's a high priced purchase that I BETTER D*** WELL be happy with because I do not want such much to go down the drain that leaves me with a load of regret.

I appreciate the attention to detail that well made dolls represent and the culture that seems to have sprung up around them. Plus, I hope that it will inspire me to take up crafts again.

17. Why did I buy my BJD? well I've been wanting one, but as I searched and searched through many many sites I couldn't find the one that really drew me. I was looking for that "OMY, I must have it" that really powerful pull of wanting the doll. I finally found one head mold that just blew me away. I couldn't look at any other doll with that same feeling until I had him. It also took me a while to find the right body with the right price, but that was more of like a quick buy - just wanted to get it over with. So right now I am searching for that perfect girl right now. I have the boy, I just haven't found the "right" girl that I want to get for him. ahaha I need that same feeling.

18. the one i am going to get, i have absolutely nowhere near enough money for, but i love her so much, i have to have her.

19. I fell for the first one. I'd never seen a face that beautiful before, so I had to have him. The rest came after I decided to create a doll family loosely based on one of my favorite fictional ones.

20. My first doll was purchased quickly, but not on impulse. I happened to find the company, saw the doll, and immediately knew that was the doll I wanted to own. I didn't really want to spend the money, but as days passed I knew I wouldn't be satisfied if I missed the opportunity--and, amazingly, at that moment I wound up with enough money to pay for the doll! It was really great~ I have since sold that doll, but I don't regret the purchase and there was nothing wrong with the doll. She was just too beautiful for me! XD I felt like I ought to put her in a glass case and never play with her. However, if I had to go back in time, with the knowledge I have now, I still would buy that doll all over again. I loved owning her, if only for a while.

My second doll was another quick purchase. When I decided to sell my first doll, I knew I wanted another doll--but of a different sort. I wanted a girl that would be adorable and durable. Something I wouldn't feel "glass case required" about; I wanted to play with the doll and be silly. A friend of mine was kind enough to let me spend some time with her dolls, to see what size I liked. When I realized I was most comfortable with the MSD size, I wasn't sure which doll I liked. The only sculpt I was particularly fond of was a bit hard to find...and that evening I found an unopened fullset on auction. o_____O Kaching!

My third doll was a purchase I hemmed and hawed over. I didn't know if I really wanted the doll, but I wouldn't have another chance to purchase it if I did really like it. I'd seen a few really nice pictures, but there wasn't much to see about the doll. So, eventually, at the last minute, I bought it. That's the only purchase I wish I hadn't made. When I opened the box, I knew it wasn't right for me. Oh well!

My fourth doll was also a quick purchase! x_+ With me, I know if I like something within seconds. If I deliberate, I don't "need" it. (Not that I "need" dolls, anyway, but if there's hesitation I'm just not committed to the idea and won't regret passing it up.) There is one doll that I've really liked, but I've avoided purchasing it for various nonsense reasons. Since the doll is a standard model, there was no urgency. Then I saw it in person... doomed! I always worried that I wouldn't like the sculpt in real life, but I loved it when I saw it! To me, the face looked even better than in pictures! I knew I shouldn't spend the money...but I bought her anyway~ I don't really wish I hadn't bought her, I just need to save up again so I'll be more at ease; I don't really like spending money.

Overall, I think it's best for me to only buy dolls that I absolutely cannot stop myself from purchasing. XD Thankfully that doesn't happen often!