1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you buy BJDs?

May 25, 2010

1. My first doll was a quick buy. Needless to say, I sold her a year or so later. Now, when I buy bjds, I have to study their sculpt not their faceup as that was my first mistake into getting into this hobby. I completely did not like my first doll after a while and was glad that she was sold off. Now, I learn not to buy in hype and sometimes wait for owner pictures. It's the hype about a new doll that sometimes I worry. I get so into without realizing that I might not even like the doll entirely.

Now, while I'm in this hobby, I strive to find an amazing doll that I absolutely do not want to miss out. Other than that, if it's ooo it's pretty and I don't come back thinking about that doll for a while, I'll just miss out on it. I got into this hobby primarily my love for dolls.

2. My first resin doll was technically a quick buy; I was browsing a doll site and saw a mold that was PERFECT for one of my favorite roleplaying characters, someone that I never thought I would get a doll for. At the time I was thinking I wouldn't get into resin dolls because of the cost involved and stick to vinyl, but I couldn't pass him up. Once I found out where to get him and that there weren't many made, there went my next paycheck and I had him a week later.

My second doll...if I was going to own only one resin doll, Yoru was probably not the one to get. ^_^; As a very family-oriented character, after a few months I started to feel like he was lonely. I did some searching, and with a little more saving I was able to bring one of his sons home.

Basically I buy dolls because having tangible versions of the characters in my head makes me very happy. ^_^ And they make great models and inspiration for my other hobbies, like my writing, photography and sewing.

3. I buy bjds because they make me happy. They're beautiful and it's such a fun creative hobby. I typically buy dolls that work for specific characters of mine, which is one of the reasons I have a large doll family -- it's a big cast and some of them have boyfriends/girlfriends, family etc.

4. :< I think the main reason why I buy BJDs is because I want to be in a hobby that I can get more involved with. I like seeing the pictures taken and clothes that people make and like to think, 'I bet I could do that too!' 8D
      Though, I'm more of a collector, so I'm more focused on getting the dolls than doing things with/to them. But I hope that when I reach something of a 'completion point,' I'll start hobby linking and take more photos and try to make them things c:

5. My first doll was an impatient buy, I was doing research but wanted to get the doll chosen and home. I picked a mould I did really like but I tried to force it to be my character Cosette even though I knew the mould didn't suit her. My next buy was an attempt at making my main boy character Luka but I just didn't like the doll and the mould was good for ONE version of him but not the version that I wanted. For awhile I tried buying moulds I just thought were pretty but the characters never grew. So now i'm back to character buying and trying to research and make sure I think they'll fit the characters. Worst case that they dont? I sell and try again.

6. With my first doll, Blue Fairy Sarang, I was smitten with the sculpt. I saved for her three times before finally buying her the last time; the first two times I waffled and put the money into savings. FInally my bf said "Just buy her already!!!" and I did.

To answer the question, I love BJDs and would rather have them than the money I save to get them. I get more and more of them because there are so many beautiful ones, and my heart is touched by a lot of sculpts :)

7. Hmm. Well I first got into BJD's because of their size and posability. I saw photostories and loved how well they could be used for that. My first doll was a quick buy. I knew almost nothing about BJD and only knew of 3 companies, Volks, Luts and Dream of Doll. Obviously with price being a factor in my un-bjd-educated mind, I went with DOD and picked the prettiest one I could find. I tried to make stories too but it was dificilt for me to see just this one fairly huge doll surrounded by arrogant looking Bratz dolls. So I decided to get a friend for that doll. I found a link to DOA on the DOD message board, and educated myself up some. I fell in love with dolls from all kinds of companys and as I was looking at them, the little world that surrounded this one little doll suddenly exploded to include nearly 12 dolls. It was very sudden. I got my second doll and bonded instantly with him because I had done tons of research to find the perfect sculpt for the character I had created as my firsts friend, and realized that the sculpt I had for my first doll, didn't actually fit the character that had develped inside it. (it is still a very weird thing for me to try to explain >.<) So I slowly purchased a new doll to replace my first doll, then started saving for my next doll. While I was doing that, I suddenly discovered another doll on eBay, and I had to have it so I bought it. My first true impulse buy. Many of the doll on my original list are now no longer on that list, as I decided to go with characters over dolls, and realised that I dont want some of them all that bad.

8. My first doll was a quick buy, i saw him at an fair and bought him on pure impulse, i didn,t know anything about bjd and learned from forums and other dollowners, i now have 11 dolls and some i bought after fallen in love with and some because i really adored their mold, so it,s different... my first boy i still love and will never sell.