1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you go/want to go to meetups?

Jul 12, 2009

1. Like others have said, to see other dolls. The first meetup I went to I got to see a friend's Bernard and that really helped me to make up my mind that I could handle a doll of that size. Now I go both to see dolls and to see friends...:)

2. Honestly, a lot of people that I know are either afraid of dolls or hate the idea that I am planning to spend so much money on them. So, going to meet-ups when I get my doll is going to be about being around other people who understand the hobby and are as excited about it as I am.

Also, I want to get to see other people's dolls and how they treat/interact with them. I love to see how people dress their dolls in the pictures that I see here, but seeing it in person is a whole new thing. And as always, finding out how dolls are different in person than in photographs.

3. Me too-I really feel like I need new clothes for meet-ups so it kicks my sewing muse into gear, and the dollies benefit. Then they need new shoes and wigs to go with the clothes...:|

I like to see the dolls in person, and what people have done to them. I went to a meet-up before I got my first BJD, to see what they were like. Haven't swapped/sold yet, but I'm looking forward to the opportunity. What I most enjoy though, is the exchange of information and ideas.

4. I like to meet people interested in the hobby, because they are usually quite nice and can answer my many questions. Also, it's just fun to go and see the dolls in person, and to show off my own ;) . And of course there might be a raffle. heh heh heh...

5. It's really a social thing for me, a chance to get out & talk to other folks that have my same interest. Plus I love seeing everyone's dolls & the creative things they do with them. And doll meets can lead to making friends. I've met my best friends thru other doll related clubs & activities.

Basically, it's just fun & we all need some of that in our lives.

6. When I first started out I went because I thought if I'm spending so much money on something I want to be able to do something with it. Thereafter I made some really good friends and so the regular meet-up group I attend I go to because it's a darn good excuse to see my friends! :lol:

I also like it because I get to see a lot of dolls I wouldn't buy/would like to see before I buy and a lot of my friends get the bigger dolls I want but can't handle, so it's good for that too ;)

Mostly the social aspect though, since pre-BJDs I didn't get out much :XD:

7. I wish I could go to one. Which is funny, because I'm currently battling severe social anxiety. But I've never seen any BJDs other than mine in person. I'd really like to see what other dolls are like up close and see what people have done with them. That and I don't know anyone that likes BJDs. The few friends that I already have aren't interested in them at all.

Oh yeah, and to finally meet people who don't give me nasty looks or lectures about how much the dolls cost. It would be nice to be around a bunch of people that would never say "That thing looks like it's only worth 50 dollars to me, if that".

8. I just enjoy talking to people that are also interested in the hobby and I just love seeing their pretty dolls. Also, I really enjoy taking pictures of dolls in general, so I really love taking pictures of other's dolls and seeing their reaction when they see the pictures. Meetups are just awesome. xD

9. Honestly, it is, to a degree, for attention. I spend a lot of money and time on these dolls, I like to share them with other people who will appreciate them.

And, likewise, I want to appreciate what other people have done with theirs, and doing so in person brings a lot more to it than just seeing photos.

10. I agree that getting to see other dolls in person is a big plus to meetups! For me... I do a lot of hybridization. So it's also great to be able to compare resins and see which bodies may work for a floating head. :sweat

It's also a good way to share the hobby with others who are as enthusiastic. As much as my long-suffering boyfriend tolerates my doll chatter, it's more fun to discuss the hobby with other collectors than to subject unwilling participants to my squeeing over the latest pretty doll release. :)

11. I like to go hang out with other people that share the same interest that I do--it's a lot of fun. It's also neat to see other people's dolls.

12. Right now, it would be to see the dolls in person. I haven't yet seen a BJD "in the resin", but I'd love to, if not for the fact that it would be further incentive to save up.

Once I own a doll, it'll be just for fun. :] I really want to go out and meet other doll collectors. There isn't a Pullip community around here, and not being able to hang out with anybody who understand my hobby is actually one of the biggest reasons I'm losing interest in those specific dolls.

13. Just like everyone else has said I WANT to go to meet ups to see and talk with other doll collectors, it is really the same reason I joined DoA to gush about my boy (soon to be boys) and learn as much as I can and be social. I don't get to talk to my family or friends about BJD's much because they don't understand so going to a meet-up and chatting with other collectors would be AMAZING!!!

14. I think maybe the doll meeting is the place where you can see the real dolls, not just from the photograph. However, the reason that I attend my first doll meeting is just I was stick to my friend, and she went to meetup because she wanted to see her friends.

The reason that I attended the second meetup is to see friends whom I never know their faces before. We know each other on the web board or blogs and I wanted to see some friends that I know from the first meeting.

Other reason is probably just want our dolls to have social time, may be :D

15. When I first joined DoA I was not very into the idea of meetups, but then I saw a video on youtube that showed people at a meetup and it looked like a lot of fun. It was also nice to force myself to meet some new people. (I tend to be intensely shy/nervous around people I don't know well) And, of course, I got to see lots of pretty dolls. :D

16. To show off, of course.... well at least in my own case - there's no more appreciative audience for your dolls than other doll enthusiasts, I think, so meetups give the opportunity to show off your dolls tot hem and for them to show off their dolls to you.

Also, actually meeting people you've interacted with online can be fun.

You get to see and handle other dolls that you might not otherwise get to experience without buying one for yourself (can be dangerous! I had no real interest in PukiPuki until someone sat next to me at a doll-meet produced the one she had received that morning), but it can help you decide, without the expense of buying it to see, whether a particular doll/sculpt/company is right for you or not.

And they're nice, fun-but-low-pressure, social events to attend.

Dollygeeking with other dollygeeks!!!

Lot to be said for that alone if you don't ahve another dollygeek close to home.

Teddy

17. I want to go to a meet up so I can see dolls in real life... and definitely not to be social...(because people scare me...) Well, I guess it would be nice to make friends in this hobby, too. It would just be a difficult endeavor. ^_^"

18. Glad to see i'm not the only one who wants to show off! XD

19. 1) Vast array of stunning dolls in SF :fangirl:
      2) Vast array of fabulous people in SF :D

20. That would be my answer, I've met several fun people in the area that I would never have met otherwise and had a lot of fun. Plus since we're a bit spread out around here, I've visited parts of the valley that I wouldn't have had a reason to visit otherwise.