1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you go/want to go to meetups?

Jul 12, 2009

1. I like seeing the other dolls, and meeting the owners! I'm not a hugely social person, but it's really nice to hang out with other people who get it and aren't terrified of the doll getting damaged because of it's price, don't think they're strange, don't insist that the boys are girls, etc.

I've only been to one meetup so far, but that's because the one I've found closest to me is only every other month or so, and I was out of the country for the last one. I'm looking forward to going again!

2. because i wanna meet ppl who share the same interest as i do! and maybe make new friends ^^

3. To make friends, to see dolls, to take pictures, to sell/buy/trade, and generally have a fun time! :):chocoberry

4. I went to my first little meetup with friends pretty much within a few days of my first doll arriving in 2004, and have been going regularly, maybe every few months or so. I've always LOVED meetups for a variety of reasons--

1. Seeing other & new dolls.
      2. Sharing my dolls with others.
      3. Seeing other outfits and wigs.
      4. Sharing information and talking about dolls with others.
      5. Taking photos of my dolls and other dolls (often with new and interesting backgrounds).
      6. Doing something social with my dolls (a change from just playing with them on my own).
      7. Going to new places and meeting new people.
      8. Going to fun places and meeting with friends (going to a nice park or having Tea or going to Downtown Disney).
      9. Doing something new, like a convention or a Dolpa or a learning something--like a re-stringing session.
      10. An excuse to play with my doll (change their outfit, get them looking nice and taking photos).
      11. Just getting out and having fun.
      12. Sometimes able to buy things or meet special guests--doll companies, etc. (various companies or reps are sometimes asked to attend, or sometimes people bring things to sell or trade, and then there are the dolpas or doll conventions with vendors).

5. I like them because it's nice to be around people who share the same hobby. At meetups people can see other molds in person and have conversations with people who know what they are talking bout. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have only non-doll people to talk to about bjds.

6. I like meets because it does give us an opportunity to learn about molds, doll care, and also a chance to socialize with other doll lovers.

7. Well I finally went to my first doll meet over at Otakon, and it was rather interesting to see all the dolls. I'll admit I'm a bit shy with people at first, but once I got talking with some it was nice being able to hear some of my questions I had being answered straight from the owners themselves, and I find it quite fun seeing how well my "artist eyes" would allow me to guess genders. ((hehe I didn't get a single one wrong ^_^ )) I also enjoyed asking everyone for the names they gave their dolls. It makes them feel... like aquantances.

I'll admit for my first doll meet it wasn't huge or something really great but it did have a rather interesting atmosphere to it. I have come to learn that just like the owners each doll had it's own unique style and often it wasn't even close to being similar to what the owner was wearing. I felt that this made each of the dolls seem more realistic rather than just a mimic of the owner, as some would think.

In the end I have to say that to go to a doll meet is much better than just simply asking about the dolls on the forums and whatnot as being able to experience the dolls firsthand, especially for the first time, is quite a unique experience verses just waiting and assuming what it'll be like. Plus, I think it can help a person decide if they really want to go through with this hobby should that subject matter arise. Not to mention, seeing all the beautiful dolls in person just makes things more... interesting.

8. I'm actually not social (not in real life anyway)
      but I really want to meet the other local BJD people and see all their beautiful dolls, not really sure why ^^;

I had a lot of fun at my first doll meet (and I didn't have a doll) so I guess it would be even more fun with a doll
      and as weird as this is going to sound, I kind of want Nadeko to have some dolly friends (not that I think she wants any, she seems pretty happy with just her bear)

9. Well I could agree with most of you, but there is one more argument: I want to know who those "users" are for real :) How do they looks and if they are as ... as in the internet ^^ It's always exciting to find out who are you talking with all days long XD

10. Like others have said, I really like seeing all the dolls close up and in person. It's one thing to admire a sculpt online and very much another to see it in person. It's nice getting to ask questions. I also get a lot of inspiration seeing other dolls. I like sewing doll clothes and seeing how things are put together, what kind of fabric is used, and that sort of thing is very helpful. Oh, and hearing about good and bad customer service experience with regards to online doll-related shopping sites is also really helpful.

11. There's a meetup near me next weekend, and I still feel reluctant to go without a doll, but it looks like my first doll may arrive before then! (and just in time for my birthday! :D). As for why I want to go, there are a couple of reasons. I can't have every doll out there (nor would I want to) so being able to see them up-close is the next best thing! Plus, other bjd people clearly understand the hobby, so for me there's less embarrassment and less explaining. Also, it could be nice to meet people with the same interest.

12. I haven't been to a meet up yet, but I'm very eager to go to one some day. The main reason why is becuase I want to meet people in the hobby who are in my area and make new friends. I hear lots of nice things about meet-ups, and I hope to attend one soon!

13. I'm dying to go to a meetup right now because currently, I don't know of a single soul sharing this hobby with me that I could possibly meet in real life. Sure it's nice having online friends, but sometimes you just really want to meet people and talk about things you're really interested in.

I don't know how far I'd be able to travel to go to a meetup, but I sure do want to.

14. Why I love going to meetups is because you do get to see different sculpts in person, get tips from doll owners about brands/sewing/ect. I find it very fun because you make friends that are in the hobby and it gives your'e doll(s) to be able to get out and make friends. :)

15. Why do I go to meets? Okay, the last time I went to a meet, it was at a total strangers house. I walked in and the people there were half my age, and I thought,"Uh, Oh, ... this is going to be EXTREMELY awkward and boring. We will have nothing in common, and I will have nothing to say". Hours later I almost felt like crying when I had to leave. We had talked DOLLS, DOLLS, DOLLS til we were blue in the face. I mean , have you ever went to a party where EVERYONE there had taken metalsmithing classes in college? And paints, and sculpts? And could read Egyptian hieroglyphs? It was just bizarre how much we had in common. Mostly of course, we talked dolls: doll sculpts, doll companies, doll clothes, doll shoes, doll wigs, doll eyes, doll jewelry.... I love BJD collectors... they are such fun, exciting people, they are so excited about the hobby, they are so full of energy and creativity about their dolls. I go to talk about my obcession, to meet new people, to share ideas and information, and, oh yeah, gotta admit it, to show off my dollies and get to see in person other BJD dolls.... which I don't get to see otherwise.

16. I live in a small town in a small country. My country have a small (that I know of) group of people that really are intrested in these dolls. So, we have the option to be close friends.. Or at least known to each other.

Also, I go to see others doll and show them mine, get ideas as to photo and outfit and so on. =)

17. I haven't been to one yet, but I do really want to go to one.
      The biggest reason is that I want to meet other doll people. My friends aren't interested in dolls, and my family thinks they're weird so it would be nice to be around people that I could actually talk to about dolls.

18. I haven't been to any meets yet but I'm going to one soon.
      I just want to meet and hopefully befriend people who share at least this interest with me. I also wanna see different sculpts in person. It'd be good to be around people who know what I'm talking about when I'm talking 'doll'.

19. I want to be able to see what different brands look like in real life. Also I want to see what kinds of clothes and accessories other people use. It's also nice to know everyone there likes the same hobby, and isn't judging you for liking dolls. That's why I'm glad I finally got to join this forum! :D

20. I've never been to a meetup... But I really want to. My sole reasons are to meet new people and see other types of dolls. I currently only own a Dollzone MSD girl and a floating head from Luts, so I'd love to see other completed dolls from various companies.

I also don't know anyone around me that is into BJDs, so I wish my area would have a meetup or something so I could get to know people. I feel a little lonely where I live. ><