1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you go/want to go to meetups?

Jul 12, 2009

1. I went to my first meet up the other day and it was great! I wanted to go because of the social aspect like the OP said--I just wanted to be able to talk to other people about BJDs! Also, getting to see other dolls in person is awesome! Although, not very good for my pocket book. lol

2. I'd love to go to meet up for social reasons. Making new friends, talking about things we have in common, sharing ideas and tips. Simply, to have fun. Unfortunately, I'm not able to connect with polish community.

3. To meet people and make new amazing friends of course! >< but it's a little sad there's no BJD community in Greece... u-u

4. I would like to go to a meetup to see if there are people who have the same doll interests as myself (i.e. some are into realistic-looking dolls, some Dollfies, some with fantasy characters, etc.). I was going to go to DollAkon in Dallas this year but my schedule won't allow it.

But, even if I did go I don't know how welcomed I'd be there because of my age and gender. I might be like Lita and get there and then immediately leave if I feel out of place. So, I guess I would have to find something else to go see in Dallas or whatever host city a meetup is in :D

5. I'm going to go to meet-ups to see dolls and the people who own them. Owning a doll was not something I had considered until seeing the Little Gem Free Choice event. Something really grabbed me with the Sueve face and I just had to own one. At the meet-up I hope to learn about other dolls, see them in person, and find out how much fun other people have owning them. (And maybe get some good advice in the process.)

6. I want to go to a meetup just to see the dolls in person. I think I'd be too afraid to touch or hold them, but it would be a thrill to see them.

7. i would love to go to a meetup. I live in a very very small town, and no one really shares my enjoyment of my dolls. More so since i just moved here, so no one really seems to share my interests or ideas >.< I would want to just . talk to some people i have something in common with.

8. Reasons why I go to meets:
      - To meet new people and, hopefully, make new friends
      - Learn about dolls
      - Admire dolls
      - Take pictures
      - Share tips and experiences
      - Show off my doll

9. I haven't been to a meet yet but would love to in the future. I don't know anyone else who collects dolls so I would love to meet people who share that interest! It would be great to see lots of different dolls in person as well.

10. There are several reasons I like going to meetups.
      They are:
      To talk to other collectors and learn things
      To make new friends who love dolls like me
      To see other dolls in person not just photos of dolls
      To take my dolls out and enjoy showing them to others
      Luckily we seem to have meetups every couple of months in Melbourne at quite a variety of places. From doll markets and conventions through to getting together in the pancake parlour!

11. I want to go to meets to meet people in the hobby. I don't know anybody that has a BJD, so it would be nice to talk to someone that shared the same interests as I do.

12. I love to go to meetups! But it is only once a year. This year it was in the finals and father's. day so I have to wait one year that I can go again...:(

13. I'm yet to go to a meetup but am planning to go to one very soon although am a little nervous about it. I would be going for both the social aspect and to see some other dolls close up. It will be awesome to meet some new people who are into these dolls as I don't know anybody else who collects them. I also don't get to see any 'real' dolls apart from my own because i don't know anybody in the hobby and as far as I know there are no actual stores in Aus that sell BJD's so it's only online pis and photo's i get to see.

14. Doll meetups add another dimension to the hobby for me. While I could easily enjoy my dolls by myself, why would I? I love the feeling of community, the sharing of information and reviews on companies and doll engineering, and just the relief of talking to someone who knows exactly what you're talking about, face-to-face. Family members tend to tune out or give me an "Um... okay..." look when I accidentally express my love of a doll sculpt out loud (lol) or my excitement about an incoming package, but the people at meetups will go right along with me.

15. I went for a first time at a meeting of BJDs lovers in Paris: it was such a pleasure to see the other dolls, touch them, show mines... and I learned many things about them !

And, I must say, it's impossible to talk about BJDs with my friends and family, they dont understand at all why it's so interesting...

16. For me I really just want to meet people in real life who are also in the hobby.

17. I would like to meet people that are in the hobby as well.

18. I think the answer to this is obvious, at least for me; why not meet and interact with others who have a loved hobby in common? Our BJD connection may lead to having other hobbies in common too and could result in making a wonderful friend even outside of these meetups. I just think it's natural to want to connect with others and what better way to befriend others in-person than meeting those individuals who you already know you share commonalities with interest-wise?

The initial get-together is a bit nerve-wracking because a doll meetup isn't an outing normally considered and it may appear strange at first with not knowing how a doll meetup may go. Once I became acquainted with everyone present at the meetup and realized that we're all here simply because our love for the BJD hobby has brought us together, I was way more relaxed and comfortable with this first meetup, even without a doll. I love meetups and think they're a great way to meet potential new friends, to admire dollies that were brought to the event, and to chat about BJDs in general, even if the thought of a meetup may seem bit scary at first. :)

19. I'd like to go to a meet so I could have some proper conversations about BJDs with people who understand the hobby. My parents, boyfriend and friends are all very understanding and let me babble to them sometimes, but I can't really have conversations with them, since they have no opinions about BJDs of their own.

It would also be nice to see other sculpts in person, so I could get an idea of what BJDs other than my own look like in real life.

20. I'm not sure I'd ever go to one tbh, it seems too social for me and I'm quite solitary :s but on the other hand I hav ebeen chatting to a girl in my class about bjds and it's so great to be able to talk to her about them so maybe in a few years I might actually do it