1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you go/want to go to meetups?

Jul 12, 2009

1. I've been to a meet up and it was fun but I suffer with really high anxiety so I won't meet up very often as it takes me a while to build up the courage.

2. I enjoy going to meet-ups to see dolls and see their outfits/costumes that they are wearing. I also enjoy meeting people that have the same hobby as I do (even though I usually don't talk to others much). I like seeing what others have for sale and buying things for my own dolls. It's also a pleasure to hang out with my best friend who got me into the hobby and recently my Mom has been getting into the hobby ^^ It's just a fun experience and hopefully it will stay fun!

3. I used to attend a lot of meets. There'd be one every few months or so, and they were always a lot of fun. There would be TONS of dolls there, and food, and socializing ... Unfortunately, the usual group I hung out with all seem to have been devoured by real life. They've dropped off the face of the earth and I haven't been to a meetup in a few years now. :(

I tried hosting one or two (definitely a step outside my comfort zone), but it's hard to come up with a place to hold them that isn't very public, doesn't cost a crapload of money to rent, or can be rented by someone outside the community (as in a library in another town). So, no local meets for me anymore, which is a shame because I really don't have anyone to talk to about this hobby aside from other people in the hobby.

4. I just really want to see other dolls! I have't gone for a meetup yet or had to opportunity to, but I would love to look at other people's dolls and perhaps pick up some tips and what not

5. I like seeing other dolls and having fun hanging out with a bunch of people who have a common interest. It is nice to go to a social gathering where you know things are going to be laid back and fun. (At least that's how it's always been for me.)

6. I no longer go to the local meet here due to harassment, but when I did start going it was so much fun! I wanted to go initially to make friends and meet new people, and see other dolls in person. It was pretty cool while it lasted! Plus it was in a restaurant so I got to stuff my face! .w.

7. I haven't gone to a meet-up yet but I love the idea of taking lots of pictures of different dolls, making friends in the hobby and seeing a bunch of dolls in real life - especially since many of them would be dolls that I've been admiring for a while (in photos). Sadly, I doubt I'd be able to actually make friends. As much as I want to have people to chat about dollie stuff with, I'm terrible at starting conversations (and getting to know people in general, pretty much all of my friends not only talked to me first, they had to work to get anywhere with me).

One day, I will try! At the very least I'll get to see some dolls and take pictures. Maybe if I attend enough meets, I'll eventually be able to talk to people.

8. I have never been in a doll meetup because there are none in this city (small city). Also I have not been in this hobby for long.
      Also I'm not into travelling to other city to join a doll meetup - not yet (I have social anxiety and asperger). x)

9. I love seeing everyone's dolls and talking about dolls. they also bring stuff to sell too

10. Excellent question! It's nice to be within a social group where other people understand your hobby without judgement. It's also a great way to make new friends in the BJD community!

11. I'd like to go to meets to meet other people into the hobby. There is little I love more than meeting people with the same interests and being able to converse(fangirl) with them. I'd also love to be able to see other people's dolls!

12. I always love making new friends, especially those who have common interests and can appreciate your dolls! Meeting their dolls is an added bonus. :D

13. I don't go to meet-ups and I probably wouldn't go to any either. Except if I were going with people I already know and own dolls. Otherwise, it'd be very awkward for me. I'm a shy person and my voice does not project that far at all, not matter how hard I try. I'm honestly like a human Fluttershy.

14. I have this love-hate relationship-like attitute to the whole idea of meets.

Things I like is that you get to talk to other adults who also collect dolls and don't feel it's weird, plus you don't have to expalain what an eye putty or 'msd' or 'restringing' means. So it's cool ;) I'm lucky to live in an area where there are lot sof talented seamstresses around, so it's also cool to see their designs irl (like, really cool and just impressive ;) But...

At the end of the day, all you (can) talk about is just dolls and some random bull. I mean, just because we're all into dolls, it doesn't mean we're gonna be besties or something. So, not just in my local community, but in general, there are lots of people in whose presence I have to be pretentiously nice and all, you know what I mean. And I just don't like being pretentious. So, I just prefer meeting in smaller groups, with people whom I know for years/months and we've talked a lot and a lot on topics other than dolls, and we're generally getting on well. Plus, we get to go outdoors and shoot some photos together - I love that! (I always end up posing the dolls, bc apparently people say i'm good at it, while others take the photos, bc my camera's a crap lol xD).

Besides, it's fun once a year or so... but when I think of a whole day spent on going to somewhere distanced, and talking about mainly just dolls for like 6 hours straight I'm jsut sooo... not into it :3 Then I just feel that the 'child inside of me' has indeed died looong ago xD

15. i love meeting with ppl whom share same interests as me

maybe i m a weird one
      i have many interests that ar very "weird" to the crowd out there and i barely have frds share same love in it unless i found them on net

i love cosplaying, dolls, japan street fashiom, anime/manga
      they often classify me as "an adult ehom refuse to grow up" but i m simply just enjoy it as my hobby

16. So I can talk IRL about dolls without driving my local friends/family crazy. XD

17. I haven't been to one yet as there doesn't seem to be high meetup activity in Southern California :pout: , at least not that I could find with a Google search...Maybe it's an off season? I only recently came back to California. But would want to go for two main reasons.

1) See other dolls in person.
      2) Meet other doll collectors. I'm curious to see how diverse a group of people can be but also all have one thing in common.

18. I'm curious to know if the people who said they wanted to go to DollAkon went or not. I bought my first bjd there after a decade of sighing over them at AKon.

I like to go to doll meets for several reasons. I get to socialize with people who share my interests. I learn tons of stuff. And because there is a huge range of doll types in the area, I get to see pretty much every size and company, especially if I ask for certain things to be there. There is a pretty big range in of ages here, so I don't feel odd being a middle aged woman who collects dolls. :)

19. I like to go to doll meets to talk to other people who "GET" the BJD hobby. It is so nice to be able to talk to people who share my obsession with BJDs, people with whom you don't have to stop and explain the terminology and esoterics of the hobby. It is wonderful to get to see other people's BJDs, to see what they look like in real life. I go mostly for the social aspects of it. I live by myself and it is fun to get out and attend a party where you can bring your dolls, talk about your dolls, and yes, show off your dolls. I make doll costumes, and I love showing off my dolls latest clothes. I have dolls ( Pipos Cheshire Cats) that I would not have acquired if I had not seen them and been able to handle them at a doll meet. I was sure I didn't like anthros until I saw them in person... I melted into a little puddle of happiness, unable to quit smiling at their cheerfully maniacal grins.

20. I would really love to go to a meet in Colorado for a ton of reasons :D first off, the people and the scenery here are amazing I think. I want to be around a bunch of dolly people and their dolls in the pretty places here. We may not be good friends, but it'd be nice to have someone tangible in the hobby where we can ramble about dolls in person. And there's more things you can do in person rather than just talking. Oh, and it'd be nice to see other dolls in person without having to own or buy them. Sometimes I just like looking at other dolls even if I won't ever want them.