1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you go/want to go to meetups?

Jul 12, 2009

1. I would really love to go to a meet up and meet people in my area that like and collect dolls~ But living in Japan, for me its really hard to find people that speak english.. Plus a lot of the Japanese doll collectors (that Ive meet) really only tend to collect the Dolfie Dream dolls~ Beautiful.. But my dolls really dont fit in at such events..

2. Meets look super fun - I'd love to get to know other owners in my area since I live in a pretty small city and having new friends that share your interest never hurts! Plus being able to take group photos and find friends for your dolls, of course.

3. @miyozuzu -- That's another good reason to go to meetups (if it's possible... some people don't live near enough to other bjd owners). I can spare all my non-bjd friends, and just talk bjds with people at meetups or cons!

4. I love going to Meet Ups - I RUN 3 different ones ( not doll-related but certainly GEEK related) and I'm a member of 5 other groups that meet periodically, plus am a member of about 20 active online groups. So yeah, I'm kind of a social animal...LOL
      Doll meet ups are great to see various sculpts in person, to meet like-minded people, get advice on your own dolls (like maintenance tips etc) & to buy stuff :D I love them!

5. Some of the best people I know were met at the local meetings. :kitty2

6. I want to go to doll meetups mainly so I can meet people with a similar interest as me! I have made really great friends through Lolita fashion meet ups, and I would love to have the same thing happen for this hobby! It would also be nice to see other doll sculpts in person and learn about other people's characters.

7. Love to go to meets for the following reasons
      1. Great friends to talk to
      2. Awesome dolls to look at
      3. Friendly, creative environment
      4.Place to display your dolls, share your triumphs, frustrations etc.

8. For me, it's a mix of socializing and learning about dolls. I'm very new to the hobby so hanging around with friendly and helpful owners who know waaay more about BJDs than I would even know to ask about is a great way to learn. Plus, it's really inspiring! I had no story in mind for my doll before going to a meet, then after hearing everyone's amazing stories for their dolls, I've written one not just for the doll I have...but for 5 more to come. And even though it's not a fantasy-type story like the ones I heard at the meet, knowing there is a cool group of people out there who make up great stories--and who would want to hear mine too--is so encouraging and inspiring!

9. I think meetups are a great way to meet new people. That's definitely one reason to go.

10. I would love to go to a meetup, but I have no idea if there are any in New Zealand, maybe somebody would know and could tell me :) I actually have no bjd friends, but I get inspiration from watching alot of Youtube video's, from Anne Pecaro, Tatsuko,Shell Bea and Libacious 1 and many more. :dance

11. For me it's social - meeting people who are into this crazy hobby with me is fun! But I've also learned a lot from other doll owners and I get to pass that knowledge along to newbies just starting out. Restringing and sueding and such is a lot less stressful the first time when you've got someone there to show you how it's done in person.

12. i just want to know 1 ir 2 people in my area with the same hobby who can be by nerdy dolly friend. I don't really care for meet ups unless there will be a lot of vendors! I love buying stuff.

13. The reason why I would want to go to meet-ups is to form a bond and share my passion with other people who are just as into the hobby as I am. It also would be fun to make friends with people who are similar to you. ^-^

14. When i first got my doll, i had already agreed to meet at a mall along with other BJD owners and i went there. It was awesome, the ladies were amaizing even if they were older than me. I actually had so much fun with them and we talked and stuff. I ended up being friends with one of them, we have so many things in common plus i wanna study in the same university as her. Anyway i later then found out that some of these ladies owned recasts andi was damn shocked because i and my friend and her friend are artists and we were shocked. So i came to the conclusion to never ever go to any dolly meets up cause i know it will end up in a fight and i dont want that.:atremblin

15. I'd really like to go to a meetup because I'd like to meet other people who are interested in dolls. I don't currently have any friends in real life who are interested in dolls so meeting a whole group of people who are would be very nice! I recently stopped by a meetup that my local community had. It was great to see so many dollies and doll lovers in one place. I do not have my first doll yet but once I do I definitely plan on going to a meetup!

16. It's been years since my last meetup, the local BJD's community is pretty much dead...

I remember last time, we were in a nice place all taking pictures, talking about new dolls and sewing. I'd like to go to another, it's fun.

17. I honestly can't say I am an incredibly social person out in the real world And I know people who collect dolls but my doll has never been put with another doll or been out and about I think it'd be awesome to take pictures but now that I have my second doll on the way I think I won't be as desperate to see him with another doll if I have two so I really can't say I think it's just to see what other people have done with their dolls and hear their stories

18. For meeting new people and new dolls that I don't have, I think? It's good to share about my hobbies with new people who also have the same hobbies. It's good and happy, but sometimes it also bring the complex, because it's also small society, too. but wish you have a good time with your good people :)

19. I've never been to a meetup (my first BJD hasn't actually arrived yet), but I'm hoping to at some point during my lifetime. The appeal for me is the fact that I'd have the opportunity to meet other doll owners in person rather than just talking through the internet. It's always fun for me if I can share my hobbies with someone I know in real life! :) I've been collecting off-topic dolls for the past three years and I have yet to meet another collector of any sort in person.

20. Number one reason for me- I love meeting new people. I'm pretty social, so meetups are cool. I also like to go because I'm curious to see what others have done to their dolls and to get a chance to see sculpts I don't own or haven't seen in real life before.