1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you need more than one?

Jul 13, 2009

1. Because they embody characters and some of my stories have large casts. Also, I happen to like them, so I enjoy having a lot of them around me to look at and fuss over. Plus having multiple dolls gives me the chance to play around with different styles of faceups and clothing.

2. Well, maybe two basic reasons for me? I don't have any dolls yet, but I already know that I'm going to get a number of them.

First is so that they aren't alone, and have all sorts of relationships with the other dolls. Whether it be as a couple, or friends, or siblings, stuff like that. It's a lot more fun that way, and a lot more lonely if it isn't ^^; . I mean, that way, even if I end up forgetting about them for a while as I concentrate on other things (as I am known to do) , I won't feel too guilty because they'll still seem nice and happy in the company of the other dolls... XD . This way, it's like a doll family, and I think of them more as a unified 'whole' or 'set' like this, rather than individual dolls.

Second is to fulfill all the needs and wants I would want from dolls to satisfy all my various tastes. Like a happy girl doll, and a moody boy doll, and cute child dolls, etc.. Like filling up the metaphorical food pyramid until there's a healthy balance of everything XD .

ali

3. they are horribly addictive in all their cuteness. There are so many different kinds its hard to stay with just one. I am trying to do that now. I have a karsh on the way and he will be my only one.......at least for a few years.

4. Hmmm, I don't think I actually "need" more than one, but these dolls are meant for inspiration/creation and with so many beautiful dolls already made and being created every month it's difficult to not let you imagination run wild with new characters and looks that you'd like to own or like any normal person fall in love with a gorgeous piece of art in the form of a newly released doll.

And well, they are easy to get addicted to, so I don't need more than one I just WANT more than one doll to make me feel inspired ^_^

Sabriell

5. I loooked around for a while before I found my first girl SDC Kaede, and was content with just her for a pretty long time. But then, as you spend time viewing pictures here on DoA and on doll companies website, I think its easy to find yourself want more and more dolls. ;) And as others have posted, why not? If you can afford them, and enjoy them, I say go for it! :)

6. The girl I want just wouldn't be happy all alone in my room when I am gone. Yes, I know that she is made of resin and doesn't even exist yet to glare at me with her plastic/glass/whatever eyes, but I just know I could not leave a doll all alone by itself for long periods of time. I tend to assign anthropomorphic (human-like) characteristics and personalities to toys and or posessions of value. A doll is both and so attains such status in my mind.

So, my girl is going to need someone to keep her company, and that company is going to be a boy. Because I can't ask her to go dateless for the rest of forever.

7. I don't need more than one, I just want more than one. It's pretty much that simple.

8. Well, people who are fans, collectors, or enthusiasts about a certain subject rarely just have one of thing they love. It's no different from someone who's into computers having 3 at home and a netbook and an iPhone... or an aspiring musician who follows more than one band and gets tickets to see all the ones they like when they play in their hometown, etc.

If you don't have the space or the money, or if you are just getting into the hobby and aren't sure you'll be sticking around, or even if you only really LIKE one sculpt enough to own, then you don't have to get another doll. If you're happy with one, that's great. But there's no point limiting yourself that much in a hobby that's meant to be fun. I don't want to own as many dolls as some people here have- I think 10 or 20 would be way too many for me and I'd rather have a smaller group- but limiting myself to only my first doll would probably be pretty boring and frustrating. There are a lot of other dolls I like, and IMO they're cuter in pairs or groups!

9. Why would I need more than one? Because they're cute! And when you get more of them together, they're even cuter! I can't wait to get my Yukino a friend so they can live together :)

10. My brain keeps coming up with OC's...also my boy needs a another boy...TAT

11. It started with Moswen. When I bought him, there was a free head going on so I thought I'd make that free head into Moswen's lover, Kijika. Things happened and Kijika just refused to live in that sculpt. Their son, Jaiseki, took it over instead. I still needed Kijika (and found him). Of course, now that I have Jaiseki, I need his lover, Sarojin. And since I have Jaiseki (Moswen and Kijika's son) I need to round out the family and get their daughter, Xinda. Naturally, if I have Xinda, she needs to have her lover, Chane. By that point, I figured that I should just go all in and add Moswen's half-brother, Thylian, and his lover, Dakvir to the mix. To... even out the family.

Naturally, I can't explain why Jolen (another original character of mine) suddenly demanded to come home. And considering that he finally let me in on what he was looking for in a partner (and that I found in less than a week *head desk*), I'll have to bring that doll home, too.

There's also the dream dolls of Ryzel and Quinlin from my recent novel that I'd like to get if I had the money.

That's... 3 dolls that I currently own, 2 dolls that I plan on buying before the year is done and an additional 7 dolls that are a "sometime in the future" purchases for a grand total of 12 dolls. I only ever intended to have 2 (Moswen and Kijika).

Dolls are not only potato chips but potato chips covered in crack *nods*.

12. I love a number of different sculpts (so much so that I would consider getting multiples of some!). Each character may require a different sculpt. :)

13. To be honest, I really didn't feel a want or need for a second doll for quite some time.

I was very satisfied with my first doll.

I really had to force myself to buy a second doll. Dolls are wants for me, not needs. I didn't need another doll, so I put off buying one. I finally decided to in the end because they were something that I intended to collect (meaning, own more than one).

The purchase is not something I regret at all, but I am not nearly as excited as I was for my first doll.

14. I do NOT need more than one.... in fact I do NOT need even one.

But I love to collect pretty things and collecting means that one will end up with more than one.

15. I'm a collector, pure & simple. Once I start on something I have to have more. It's a sickness. But really, there are so many amazing sculpts out there, how can you decide on just one?

16. I honestly thought I was going to be happy with just one doll. I had a puki pipi and she was my world for the longest time.

Now, I have a BBB Mei and a DZ Nina. I very much like having the different body styles and faces. I love the size difference (both are MSDs but the nina is much larger than the Mei). I just enjoy the dynamic of having multiples. I also love having the ability to make a wider variety of pictures.

And most of all, I love too many dolls to just have one.

17. 1. Different characters. ---OK. I don't have characters I'm getting dolls for, so that's not it for me. I thought I'd get only one, but soon got my second... because:

2. I really liked the sculpt of another doll. This is the BIG one.

3. I thought it'd be fun to have a girl doll, when my first was a boy.

4. It could be fun to have them pose together.

5. Excuse to buy more/different outfits. And wigs. And shoes. And styles/types of clothes.

6. Different size/type of doll appealed. Like, I got some tinies when my firsts were large sized. Thought tinies were cute. And then thought I'd want a girl/boy tiny, or an anthro, etc.

7. Wanted variations on dolls, like hooves and horns or some other type of thing that goes with other dolls (in my case, SOOM monthly dolls... Gah, they just get to me every time!... also tempted by Souldoll Chiron...)

18. They all hit my 'OOOH SHINY' buttons in different ways. I wish I could explain it beyond that in a more elegant manner, but it really does boil down to that. (I have too many OOH SHINY buttons, I really do.)

19. For me it's a matter of putting my characters into a doll. To have my favorite and most used characters in doll form. But after I have finished I don't think there would be much need to get any more of them. Unless it's reflecting a younger stage in there life. =]

20. I've just always needed multiple of everything I get into. I love fashion and styling outfits so I could never just have one doll who dresses the same all the time. And I don't want one character who's a jack of all trades, it bores me and seems superficial. Right now I only have two but I used to have eight others, I only scaled back so I could better pamper my current two. Now that I think they're suitably dressed and whatnot I want a new one to work on.