1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you need more than one?

Jul 13, 2009

1. Versatility. Pretty much the same reason mannequins exist in any given quantity. Plus I like different sculpts by different companies so I can compare and contrast in clothing size. Versatility is a good answer... I'll go with that one. ^^v

Plus rules of display grouping. Odd numbers look better than even numbers. So one SD and two MSDs grouped together on a table catch the eye and draw people in.

2. Because I have a tendency to only allow myself expensive things if they are 'useful' in some way, I tend to justify dolls/toys by using them as prompts for my writing.

This meant that I ended up creating a character for my Cuprit. And from her character, I developed a story (because what use is a prompt for writing without anything to write, after all?)

And, unfortunately, characters with stories have a bad habit of propagating more characters, who have their own stories (who have their own characters... and so forth... :doh)

I suppose I buy lots of dolls because lots of dolls are more 'useful' to me than one (as far as character creation and writing practice go).

(My original plan, of course, was only to get Cuprit. "BJDs are too expensive", I said. "I'll just buy one hooved girl, and then I won't want anymore", I said. Little did I know *_*).

3. I have yet to even order my first one and I'm already planning on at least one or two more (although if I fall in love with my first one, I'll probably end up with more than that). For me, everything comes in couples. I have two cats, two dogs, two parents (:lol:), two best friends... I can't have just one! It's the same with dessert, I always have to have two cookies. 'One' is such a lonely word. That's why I get frustrated when a tv series/movie/manga etc. only focuses on the protagonist of the story because I usually get attached to two of the main characters. I'm a romantic at heart even though I don't like most romantic clichés. I like my stories to have couples, so that's why I've already planned relationships for my future dollies. I imagine that doing photostories of a lonely doll would get boring really quickly.

I also agree with everyone who said that each doll is their own little person. We create styles, skills and personalities for them and having different kinds of characters is fun.

4. Strictly speaking for ball joints, because my others are like potato chips, part of me wants to say if I only had Xavier it would be just one. Except that Xavier won a contest prize which brought the twins home...

It started as a one of each size thing but now I've decided that I want to keep it to tinies who can fit in my dollhouse only, and even that is going to slow down or stop. All I "need" to complete my family is a Yo-SD sized girl. Don't have that size yet...

5. Oh so many reasons to justify having more than one.....First I am a seamstress so as we all know you cannot sew for just one doll.... Boy sculpts, man sculpts, women, girls just in SD! So must have at least 4 to be realistic.... One down, one coming, 2 to go....
      I am "Collector" of all things, primarily antiques, before then flowers, before that, well always I collected something.... So dolls I must have!
      And then the loneliness factor.... I must transfer human emotions to my dolls....they must be lonely sitting there by themselves...so must have more than one! Always!
      Pictures! Must be able to pose/play/interact with more than one doll!
      Must be many more reasons but I agree with the earlier post, why only one????

6. Because I want them. They are the only part of my world that I have total controll over they stand ready to serve only me.

7. Why do I need more than one?

Because I like more than one :) Admittedly I like too many, but I just buy the ones I like because they look pretty and I can admire them. Plus it's nice to have a variety to take out with me to meetups :3

8. because my (imaginary, right now) family of dolls is based on characters, i would need to have more than one in order for all of their stories to work out properly. i can't have a story go on between rue and noah if... i have to switch their heads for every photo XD;;;

9. It's something in the resin. It infects your brain. XD

Joking, of course.

Well when I started I knew I wasn't going to get just one. My thought process kind of goes like this:

"Okay, so I'm going to get Sanyu... which means her mother, Gael, has to go on my wish list. Then maybe this character or that character and that's good."

Then I saw my first puki in person and discovered that pictures don't do them justice.

"Okay, so Puki needs to go on the list. But I don't have a character for a puki! *sigh* Oh well."

Then Fairyland came out with the first round of Little Fees.

"OMG! Little Fee Ante IS DELANEY~! I MUST have her! Delaney will make such a cute doll~!"

Which turned into:

"But if I get Delaney then I have to get her big sister Gwen and then Alistair as well. And they'll have to be SD!"

Then I finally figured out a character for my puki(s):

"I've got it! I'll have the pixie patrol! And they'll be Acorn, Zip, and Lilly. Wait... that's three pukis, not one... oh crap."

Which turned into:

"But I can't make a story on the pixie patrol alone. I know, I'll have this (insert massive story brainstorm here) and so then I HAVE to get Annalise and Gloria now."

Which turned into:

"And, now that I think about it... the twins from my other story would make awesome dollies, too..."

10. each for a different occasion. Big ones to take to meet-ups and small ones to accompany me at school *v* they're all just so different! gotta' catch'um all~

11. I like having dolls who match and can interact with each other. I feel like some of my dolls can be posed with each other and some can't. And I like balance as far as sizes and gender go. I think if I got one more girl and one more tiny I would be good. (Not just one more girl tiny though--I need another SD-sized girl to go with my two SD sized boys and Mr. Layaway.) I knew I needed more than one but really thought I would stop at 3 ... but getting a tiny was just too irresistible.

12. There have always been multiple sculpts that I like, so for me it's never been "Who to get?" but "Who to get first?" And I've never given it more thought beyond that. I like several different dolls and I see no real reason not to have as many as my budget can comfortably accommodate (which is not that many, but I digress).

And then there is the fact that I want to create a doll of my RP character who is a marionettist and attacks by controlling life size dolls... so you know... once I have her, then I need to get her dolls as well...

13. With all the different kinds of customization available, why limit yourself to only trying out one?! x) The least I can see someone settling for is three lol <3

14. It's a very hard to reply! I think every doll is unique and every doll represents a different universe. So more dolls, more universes to discover. And all togheter they are a fantastic adventure!

15. Gods this is so me :XD: I was like O_____O I MUST OWN ONE OF THESE TINY TINY PIECES OF PURE AWESOME AND KAWAII

I just need to get a second body and I'll have two, neither of which have more than a name :XD: No personality, no background and no participation in my doll-story :lol: Damn Fairyland :XD:

16. Isn't that kind of like saying "why would you need more than one friend"?

17. It might be an awkward answer but I intend to have at least three BJDs in the first place for cosplaying. Now I do have three and I think I need no more. However, I ended (end? sure?) up with have two more kids (I and my friends bought them together, so it's kind of co-owner BJD :D). I think it's so fun when we put many BJDs together and create a story.

18. Its an addiction. Just like tattoos or piercings. Once you buy one you'll always want more, unless you have incredible will power

19. I was the same way...I have one doll right now and he was all I wanted even when he came I was like...OK this is perfect I don't need anymore this is fine....and now I have another one on the way...and I am still sitting around thinking....WHY DO I NEED THIS OTHER ONE??

I think there is a huge list of reasons people have more than one...but for me at least and I think a big reason for newer collectors like myself is DoA

I ordered Carter on my own...I wasn't in DoA I didn't know this was a hobby, or a 'thing', I thought BJDs were a smaller community and I didn't think there would be this huge world out there for me to explore, learn and love my BJD....

DoA is amazing it has given me access to all this great knowledge and experience and I has completely saved my little WS boy from a horrible yellowing in a months time or me doing something horribly stupid because I didn't know better.

But DoA has also introduced me things like....Market Place, Photostories, and COLLECTORS, and lots and lots and lots of beautiful/stunning molds and sculpts I would have probably never seen or if I had seen them not liked them...

My second boy is an Elfdoll Mir I am buying from a seller here on DoA....and I saw Mirs at first and I disliked them I thought they were the weird but now he is just...AMAZING to me I have seen all the things people can and do do with them here and I am in love with his uniquness and the millions of different directions you can go with him so for me at least

I have more then one...because of DoA

20. I think more people are more relaxed about liking them if they would find such a great community and large audience as this site! I myself, thought I was a weirdo when I first found a BJD site and wanted two different dolls. My friends thought they were creepy and so I acted like I thought the same. But now, I'm not so afraid of just saying "Hey I like them and that's enough for me."

Now I can't wait to own more than one! xP