1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does everyone need to accept?

Dec 15, 2005

1. Nice to read everyone's opinions!

Thanks!

P

2. boy do i want to join in on this thread. just recently, i told my stepbrother about what i was looking on the internet. yes i hid my bjd ism from him because he is quite opinionated. but i figured he was in a good mood so why not. i was immediately shot down. "why do you like barbies? these are barbies to me. i don't care if they are different. you are obsessed with japan." insults everywhere and it's not like i was asking him to be apart of it. i just wanted to show him. i guess where i'm trying to get at is everyone i tell about bjds, they always say dollfies are stupid and just an obsession not worth anyone's time. it's not that i want them to like them. it's that i want the respect and not to be bashed everytime i mention the word dollfie. but yet i'm young (13) and people my age tend to lean towards things they learn on mtv and such. they think things are either cool and worth time like music and video games and food. or they think things are for outcasts like bjd's khaki pants and old navy t-shirts. my whole neighborhood thinks they're so with the times yet they refuse to see what's out there. I think until some of them see what there is to see like bjd's or other hobbies, that they can't really accept it because not a large enough group likes them. but that's the point right there. i don't think it matters how big the group is. if you like something you should get respect for it no matter what your interests are. phew. haven't spoken up like that in a while. see ya'll later!
      phil

3. Hmm...."Ewww that's the ugliest thing in the world get it away!" is what I almost ALWAYS think when my coworkers bring in their newborn babies and everyone is slobbering happily over them--but I never say it out loud. :) Luckily, I do think I'd get the same respect from them if I took my girls into work. Which I wouldn't, because they'd be likely to be broken--but that's a different issue altogether.

To each, his own. Or her own.

4. They look human-like, in an "uncanny" way. Therefore they will get likely get a stronger reaction from most people than, for example, collectable stuffed animals, or model trains.

It's human nature.

5. All I'd want is for people to respect it.

For example, I like action figures of sorts (evangelion mecha, to be exact) and i'm female. The town I live in is rather close-minded and doesnt understand that girls actual do things other then cook and dress nice. I dont expect them to accept the fact that i do things out of the ordinary - I just want them to respect the fact that its something I enjoy, and that I respect what they enjoy (so what if I dont like football).

So, they dont have to like dolls, hell, they cant think its weird for all I care. But they should respect them as something I enjoy, and shouldn't say upsetting things.

6. I'm rather glad that they aren't mainstream. It seems that once things become mainstream, you get so many more misconceptions built over a topic and then inferior replicas trying to glean away some of the glory that the original possesses.

I've taken my El to one Anime convention so far, what tends to irk me is that people will ask "who's he supposed to be?" as if he were supposed to be in cosplay and not just be representative of something interesting drawn up from asian culture. There is also the constant question and pointing out that the dolls are really expensive. Yes, I know, move along to a different topic, please.

I never share this hobby with co-workers because I really have no desire to try explaining to them that no, I don't collect Barbies or Bratz or whatever doll is commonplace around here. Geez, hard enough time explaining to them about my writing and anime hobbies.

If only people would just climb out of their boxes now and again, see that there is just so much else out there.

7. ugh yeah my dad hates them still, but i don't care today my lune came and after he saw him he was like "how many of those things do you have now?" and I was just like "NOT ENOUGH!!!!"... my mom was like him for a while up until i got my cutie delf cory and now she's just like "ooh he's so cute!!!" and when lune came in today she just said that's wonderful and how exciting and even suggested a name for him ^_^ I love my mom she understands my hobby, doesn't mean I don't love my dad but he just doesn't understand that this is what i like to do, but who cares! I love my dolls and I would never give them up

8. Well, I'm not too concerned with respect... I've always been a nerd, so if I'm not getting made fun of for having dolls, I'm made fun of for something else. So, it doesn't really matter, and it's actually sort of amusing. But I would like to see dolls (not just BJDs) become more acceptable to the mainstream, as I'm tired of dolls and toys in general being seen as something you're supposed to grow out of when you leave middle school. Generalisations like that are annoying. I'm actually all for BJDs becoming more mainstream, even to the point of having similar dolls produced in vinyl or plastic or whatever, sort of like the Tyler Wentworth dolls, and made availible to fans who don't have $500+ to blow. If people have fun, what's wrong with it?

9. I never asked anyone to accept my bjd intrest, just to respect it :)

Surprisingly, both my male cousins are quite fond of my boy, they always ask what I'll make for him next and give me advice on things.

Others (before I got my bjd) saw some pics and just called them a little too creepy, but they respected the fact that I was interested and I respected the fact that they found them a little too creepy....

that's about it :)

10. I was picking up my Katie kit from the post office the other day and the person behind the counter asked what SoulDoll make and what I'd bought and I told him that it was a "ready to assemble kit that you customise and paint yourself" and he looked at me like I was nuts. I of course stared back at him like he was nuts until he broke eye contact, LOL. On the surface, is doll collecting and customising any different from people that build model planes and put ships in bottles? Not really. I mean there is a lot more to it that your average person won't get but I must admit, I was pretty pissed that he looked at me so strangely.

11. I've never really had a BAD reaction to my dolls. I thought at first I was just lucky, but then I realize that I never really show them to anyone without a more alternative mindset. I believe the old proverb says "Don't cast your pearls before swine"?

Sure, I've had my share of "Whoa, that's creepy" but I've never considered that an insult *lol* I know well that a lot of people are creeped out by dolls, especially the more realistic of them, and it's never been a degrading sort of thing, IMHO, just a "Whoa. oo;"
      And then there's the people that think they're really damn cool... that's worth it. ^^

12. People who accept me for who I am accept all my weird hobbies too, so I haven't encountered a problematic situation yet. XD

Thing is, like watching anime and collecting BL manga, G and J are my private pleasure. I don't share them, I don't take them out to show to people I've just met, I don't even talk about them with people who don't know me well. Not because I'm afraid of being ridiculed (since I have a scary face and people will think twice about ridiculing me... XD) but because I don't think it's important for them to know what I do in my free time. If they ask, I will tell but if they don't, I can talk about other things too.

As for people who know me well enough, they will accept G and J like they've accepted everything else about me. In fact, collecting BJDs would look like a far less perverted and more acceptable hobby than collecting hardcore BL manga. XD

13. The closest person in my life hates BJD.

Yet, I love them. She does say hurtful things sometimes and was not very respectful at first, but we have come to an understanding that I love my dolls. They make me happy. She doesn't like them, so I keep them out of our friendship. But I do have many friends with whom I can enjoy my hobby with. She is just one of the few with which I can't.

I don't care what others think of me. I am young, (16) but I tend to go my own way and do my own thing. I dislike rude comments from people who matter. The ones who care about me and know that my dolls make me happy. I find it disrespectful. However, from strangers, I could care less. ^_^

14. xD *hides collection of hardcore BL manga*

When you put it like that.... o___o it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

I'm lucky I have parents who are very... open minded. o_o They accept both my dolls and my love of BL manga.

15. I actually agree with you, I don't want everyone to get it. Besides, I don't get certain hobbies that are out there but I don't begrudge a person for having something that's theirs and I don't get. I think that's the big thing that i've noticed. Not that people don't get the hobby but how nasty people who don't get it, can be (of course that's a reflection on them as a person). I think i'm lucky I tend to hand out with people who are relatively tollarant...after all I have a friend who's really into Leggo, I don't get it but it dosen't stop me from indulging her from time to time.

Christal

16. sorry to be OT but...you parents know you have hardcore BL mangas :confused:

WOW! that's pretty cool :o

17. To echo may other sentiments- I don't need to be accepted, I don't need a lot of people to be into what I'm into, but the fact that I like dolls does tend to come up in conversation (ie- what did you do this weekend? i went to LA and bought a new doll) and I just don't want to hear people make little snide remarks about what I spend my hard earned dollars on.
      Skeee-rew people telling me I'm crazy for spending X$s on a doll. Bah! That's what tends to really irk me. Not so much people thinking I am a crazy doll lady.

-Nadja

18. I have a tendancy to drag people down with me. lol It's nice having someone to freak out about new dolls with. As for the masses, I could do without them. I'm used to being a black sheep. I went to school in a small town where football is king and if you don't go to church regularly you're some sort of heretic.

I went to a few football games since a friend of mine played, and I never went to church. I'm just not big on religion. So all through my school years I've always been that odd duck. lol

Even now in college it's the same song and dance. In the world of digital animation and game design there are 3 girls I've ever seen in my classes, this is counting myself. Girls don't play games, they don't like computers, etc etc. Yes, keep singing that while I mow you down in Unreal again.

I'd just like the masses to kindly shut the hell up, because really everyone has a 'strange' hobby in one form or another. If someone's hobby is a bit out of the box, well ok, there's no need to be snarky about it. I think people that build ships in bottles are nuts, but I'm not going to go out of my way to insult anyone that does it. If that's what they've chosen for a hobby, well good on them.

While no, I'd rather the masses didn't get into this hobby, it is nice to have someone to talk to about it. This is why you're supposed to corrupt your friends. lol Friends don't let friends wander into a new hobby alone! XD!!

20. I don't really care if people don't like my dolls. I don't really care if they think the dolls are creepy.

All *I* want is respect for my personal interests. If someone mods cars as a hobby, fine. If they want to line the underside of some car with neon lights- I think that's weird- but if it brings them JOY to do so, is there any harm in it? No. I'm not going to make fun of them, I'm not going to tell them it's a waste of money, I'm not going to tell them it's stupid. It's how they express themselves and I'm aware enough that I only think it's weird, stupid, or waste of money because /I don't understand it/. Everyone is different and that's what makes the world go round. So I'm just going to respect the fact that while I may not understand what other people enjoy, if it's not hurting them or someone else, I'm going to just respect their form of self expression! And that's all I want in return.