1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why just a head?

Oct 15, 2007

1. I buy heads now because it's cheaper. I rotate the heads once a month and it's like getting a new doll. I don't worry about the heads sitting in a box, because they all come out sooner or later. A lot of the time, I don't like the cheaper dolls bodies and would now prefer to save for a very detailed sculpt. I'm currently saving for Dollstown Mui. He'll cost approx $850 for head and body, face-up and shipping. That's a lot to pay and if I get a Hue later on, I don't want to pay the same amount again. I'd much rather pay $200 or so and get his head and alternate the bodies. It's basically about getting more dolls for my money.

2. I've ordered 9 Minimee heads and I'm already planning my 10th [and they come in pairs so I'll have 20 heads XD]
      But I have these dolls to photograph them and to practice my faceups on, and not to do photostories, groupshots or anything like that.
      So I do not see the reason to buy a body for each of them. I will only need around 2 or 3 bodies, nothing more.

I'll have many different characters, but only a few bodies, so it's cheaper, they need less space and that's good enough for me.

Sabriell

3. Bodies can upgrade and as time wears on, they replace and remix batch colours so you might end up with a near-perfect shade with awesome flexibility without compensating for aesthetic.
      I haven't found a suitable body for a character and am thus waiting for a possibility for it to be released ;D I do however find that some of the already existent bodies to be perfect and would love to have them home now. But due to difficulty in attaining them, i refuse to settle for second best and thus remain afloat.
      In addition to this, bodies generally change for the better. Headsculpts, however, cannot. As you will find most find that some molds never look the same once they've been re-released. Without a body, the persona is still largely there in the sculpt. Without the head, the body doesn't quite have an identity. You will find they dont exactly all receive such extensive customisation that heads usually receive.)

4. Well I bought a Vampire Lu-Wen head for my boy Seren seperate. Normally I wouldn't have even thought about buying a floating head but the Vampire Lu-Wen was simply perfect for my character and I just couldn't pass up those teeny tiny fangs and pointy ears, but I didn't have enough money to buy him whole and he was a limited so I didn't want to miss out on him, plus the Vampire head was the only head I wanted and he was one of those sets from Luts so I would have just ended up getting rid of the regular head anyway.

I'm now just waiting for Christmas to pass and for Luts to start selling the type 3 body (its the only one that fits him) before I get his body.

5. Most of the time, the head is what I like about the doll the most. When I bought Ashley's head, I loved him. I knew that I could've probably waited and bought a whole Yder, but I don't think it would have been the same.

And...
      Sometimes, the body that comes with the head doesn't look right. Ashley actually has a modded girl body, and I think it looks a lot better. ^-^;;

It can also sometimes be cheaper. <3

6. I saw the head. I wanted the head. I bought the head. And now I have a floating head. And since it was a used head, it was a lot cheaper than buying the whole doll or a new head. Plus I wanted that doll right then, and didn't want to save up for a new one, so I decided that it would be easier to buy the head and body seperatly.

Yeah. That's why for me. *impulse buyer* XDD

<3

7. I usually only buy just a head when it is limited or may be discontinued

8. I only have one floating head and I purchased it because the artist was selling it body-less. The nice thing about it is that it's given me a chance to really look around at bodies and find one that I really like. I'm actually thinking of going with a Nobility doll body just because it's so darn interesting looking. I figure if it doesn't work for this particular head, I can always buy a different head and keep shopping till I find the right body. Trial and experimentation is the name of my game.

9. Hi,
      I just got my second head for my Narae (different expression and face-up) and I just love it. What I would like to know is what do people do with their extra heads? Is there any type of 'head stand'? Do you put them away?
      Thanks a bunch.
      Janet :?

10. I just bought a MNF BW Shushu head.
      I was browsing the market place (I have to stay away from now on!!!) and I found one for an amazing price. I've always wanted a Shushu, so I COULDN'T let it go. I can't afford a body right now, but having the head makes me feel one step closer to having a doll I've dreamed about for so long. :fangirl:

So, in sort the reason I bought a head: It was there. It was cheap. And I WANTED it. :doh

11. Haha I do this alot. The heads I own though, are however, some of my DREAM doll molds which I know I will regret if I just pass them up. For instance; Volks limited Dolls are hard to come by... so to walk away from buying just the head... I dont think id do that, plus sometimes Im too broke to buy the whole doll. Haha. But thats just my opinion!

12. well my friend baught a head cause its a rare one to find
      so she baught it cause she diddnt think she would be able to find another for a long time

13. I currently have three heads floating around. Two were heads that I've always wanted. but wasn't willing to shell out a lot of money (at the time) for the full doll, so I bought the heads and will get less expensive bodies for them later.

The third is a head I saw on the marketplace, and instantly went "I WANT". It was modded, too, so it wasn't something I could go "Oh, I'll just grab it later" on.

I'll eventually buy bodies for all my heads, but it could be a while.... I have plans for other full dolls that I need more atm. ^^;

14. I have a shelf full of heads, the oldest sitting around for a year because i didnt have the money at the time I bought the heads for the bodies, in the case of the oldest head, I want to put a leeke koji head on a girl's body. she is gonna have to wait until I can compare the head size with the larger volks dolls as the resin is the right color but the regular SD body is too small...

15. Well, I was thinking about buying a few heads to practice faceups on. XD I don't know if I'd buy them a body or not, but, maybe I would eventually...

16. Some companies, like Migidoll only make heads, so you have to buy the body seperately. Some molds are gorgeous but the bodies not-so-much, so that's another reason. Also, some bodies (DOD boys for example) are hard to find clothes for, so people will buy the head and a seperate body.

17. I find that (Like PakouChan) Volks LEs are expensive to buy as whole sets and sometimes it best to buy the head when it comes up because you never know if you'll see it again! As long as I buy the head I'll have more of an idea as to what their "personality" is and she what body for their age suits them.

18. If I buy heads norm its because I can't buy the whole doll atm and will buy them a body later, So I norm get them from the Marketplace since they are needing new homes & one of them was a LE (Breakaway) and he yelled at me to buy him ^^ So they will be sharing for the time but I don't do that often, its a hassle for me. XD

19. Floating heads are great, I have ... almost 2x as many heads as bodies. Artist, Sleeping and School heads do the sharing. I do have some girls that REFUSE to share. Heads are a little more demanding of a body than say a faceplate. But I can only have so many big girls - cause of space and shoes.

20. Sometimes... It's cheaper to buy a head and a body separate. I bought my second elf Chiwoo that way and spent 450 on him, when if I bought him from the company, he would have cost me 700-800 dollars.