1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why just a head?

Oct 15, 2007

1. My doll is just a head right now because I dislike her body. I'm buying another head alone because I really dislike the body. I'm very attracted to really poseable bodies, and neither head I like have the bodies that I want.

2. Well, I'm getting my Jason's head separately because Luts released his head (SSDF Man) without me being able to buy his body alone. I would have waited for them to, but I asked and they told me they had no plans on releasing the body by itself any time soon.

3. I used to think the same thing "What can you do with JUST a head" but now I understand. I just bought a head from Leekeworld but didn't have the money to buy the whole doll. I was worried he would sell out by the time I could come up with $500+ so i got the head. I realize in the long run I may have to spend a little more to complete him but that's okay. These things take time! I will wait for a cheaper leekeworld male body to come up for sale on the forum or ebay :) I knew I just HAD to have him and it was either the head or nothing! Now, I am always looking for heads!

4. haha well I must admit that since first posting this, I too have become a purchaser of heads hehe....waiting on a Shiwoo now :D It was one that had been done in a grey faceup :candycane

5. Another question by yours truly; Chibi_Fluffy
      But... I think it could become a "discussion thread" as I want an opinion more then an answer XP
      (Sorry if something was already posted about this)

I am now in a big dilenma, I got Eyes, I will get a Wig, but getting the doll; that will take a lot of time and I want something in my hands now.
      I want to practise face-ups, I love~ to paint and really want to try it.... and I thought:

Why not buy a head :D

The doll I want is an Angell-Studio Lucifer, so I thought I could buy another head from the same company to practise and I could even exchange heads when I will get Lucifer....

But I really do not know if that is a good idea or not, that is why I am asking your opinion :D

A head as a first contact with resin, good idea or not?
      Is it worth it, if it is only for practising? (And my resin craving XD)
      Should I wait until I get Lucifer?
      Has anyone ever done this ?
      What do you think?

6. I don't have a full doll, I have TWO heads. I think it's a good idea, I love my heads and can't wait for they have their bodys. I think having the heads home somehow made it real to me that I am buying such expensive toys, and yeah they are worth it. I dont do face-ups 'cos I suck at drawing and painting. I think it would be great to have a practise head if you are going to do face-ups yourself. :3

7. I agree, the only thing is you may get frustrated without a body. But you can buy, and try painting. You can also get a less expensive or used body until you can afford the body you really want.

8. I want to make a hybrid and bought the head first. I hope it's not that long without a body when it'll arrive. ^^;
      I decided to do this because the girl I want to have/create is going to look like a tomboy and needs smaller breasts because of that. ^^; I liked Dollstown bodies but I think the heads are so bad drug-addict-looking. ^^; Well, and I really like Orlando's head of Dollzone so I'll mix them. ^^

Laoky

9. I'm going to be getting DOD's event head whether I want it or not. Some people just get floating heads because of an event, like me. Some don't like the body and want a new one. I'm going to try hard not to think of the event head as another doll ( As if I don't have three dolls, but only two). But the head of a doll is like the doll itself to me.

10. Hey so I've been lingering around on buying a full bjd they seem rather pricey and while looking through searching the perfect doll they seem to blend after awhile. I finally came across a head that I like a lot and after thinking it over a few days decided to buy it, a dbdoll yelang head(the creepy kind of 3 eyed head)figuring I could commission an artist to do the make up and offer opinions on the eye color and such. After everything was done and I saved up enough I would purchase his body and then he would be complete with the exception of commissioning anouther artist to tattoo his back with some tribal wing design. I know this is strang for a newbie to do, but is it a good idea that I do it like this or should I have purchased a full doll for my first?

11. Always always always go for the doll you want most. Otherwise you'll be disappointed and/or the doll you get instead will become neglected... Speaking from personal experience; I saved up for half of a doll and then my parents covered the other half as a gift but to save them money I got a doll I thought was cute instead of the one I was originally saving for... After I got the doll home I was happy for a while but I ended up never buying him anything cuz I was still saving for the doll I wanted first and once I got that doll ((the one I wanted originally)) I never paid any attention to the first doll I got anyway... (x_x) poor thing...

So yah, always get what you want most, first. Your route may be more difficult but you'll be more satisfied in the end. All that hard work creates a bond between you and the doll and you feel like you really accomplished something!

((...of course, my words aren't set in stone... but I've seen a lot of stories of people not bonding with their first doll due to not doing enough research in finding 'the one' or just settling for something easier that they liked.))

12. I agree. with cadmium. Get what you really want. If you really want this guy, just go through with your master plan and have the patience to wait for the right body and the right faceup. I was a bit too confused and afraid to get a head first as my first doll but I'm trying it now and I think it's a great idea. I'm waiting until my favorite faceup artist opens again and saving up for a really good body. I think the doll will be special because he's one of a kind and I put work into getting him assembled. I bet it'll be a very rewarding feeling for me and you.

13. Hey, I don't have a doll yet and I bought a Migidoll Miho head first cause that was what I loved! And she only makes heads so didn't have a choice. It is kinda easier buying it in seperate parts though.. it feels like ..it's not as scary, pushing the 'buy' button. Not only that but I also plan on doing my own face up, blushing, sueding, even sewing - the works. But I'm a lifelong artist so that doesn't feel beyond me even though I'm new to the doll thing.

I would probably be scared to buy in parts for my first if not for this forum though.. but with it, there's any information you could possibly need in order to put together your dream doll and if you can't find it, you can ask and someone will have the answer.

14. Well for me I only buy just the head if its not sold as a fullset or if the head is on some website with a fabulous faceup. So i buy the head and I go to the companies website and order the body. If im down on money i save up of course then buy the body from the same company ^^. So for me usually if the body isnt available with the head i do that.

15. I also bought a Migidoll (Miu :)), and as it has been mentioned, they don't come with bodies. I just wanted her, you know?

I've never bought just a head before though.

16. My sister buied KDF Bory with D.o.C- body, but she didn't like the body, so now she wishes KDF- body for birthday present.

I don't have any heads without body, or bodies without head : )

17. I'm lacking bodies for my floating heads.^^
      My first floating head is mostly because the producer only sold heads. And now all my floating heads are mostly because it's a mold I really, really like that I see on the 2nd hand marketplace--so I buy.
      I don't really think the body is necessary unless you're doing photography or making clothes or something like that--or if you just don't like bodiless heads hanging around your bookshelf. You can have a body or two and switch heads if the resin matches don't bug you.
      I think with me, I just want to get my hands on heads so that I can paint them. And i just realized that heads don't take up as much space as a body does.

When I first heard/thought about hybrid dolls, I was so confused about what head would fit what body and how they would fit...I think it's a bit too much for someone who's just beginning, but if they do the research, it's not too bad.

18. I am afraid at some point I may end with many floating heads *_* There are many Volks limiteds I am interested in, and I always feel the urge to buy the wanted (and at the moment available!) head *now* as it may not appear on the market place again any time soon...

19. I just bought 2 heads without bodies. I hope to make one of the heads a senior delf male into a female and buy a mature build for her. I also have a male head without the body, the three eyed guy I mentioned earlier. I hope to buy him a rather mature male body, instead of the cheaper boyish figure. I at first bought the head because I fell in love with his unusual aesthetics. but now im fearing that I will have several heads without bodies :(

20. Like some others have said, sometime I'll buy just a head or body because I did not like the foll as a whole. For instance I bought a CP SS Soony head and put her on a DD II body because I preferred that body to the original CP mold. An then sometimes I'll just get a head so that I may practice face ups with.