1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why just a head?

Oct 15, 2007

1. because otherwise I could never have afforded to buy a delf woosoo...so I took a 4 month layaway on his head D:
      other then that >.>
      there was a GO split that had a head I wanted but no body available...so I caved and bought just the head .__.

2. Talasin mentioned another reason why it could be a good deal to buy the head first.
      I wouldn't have been able to get a Madoka if I only searched for the complete doll, at least not without ignoring my spending-limit. Because I buy her in pieces, she's a little more affordable, especially since I waited for a head that was in my price-range.

3. I've purchased just a head about twice or so before because as far as I know, that was all that the company ever made and they were heads that I reallyyy wanted too. I think that would be one of the few instances I would get just a head; if it's a hard to find mold and I happen to come accross it and know I can realistically complete it.

4. I bought just a head, because I found it for a good price around the same time I knew I'd have a spare body sitting around soon (from upgrading another doll). Because of that I'm going to have the doll here much, much sooner than would otherwise have happened, and have plenty of time to save up for his "real" body for later.

5. Cause sometime companies only make heads lol... boy do I love migidoll <3

6. I've got my first head on order now. Basically it is because Migidoll only offers the heads. I am getting ready to purchase another head so my DH can practice his airbrushing on it.

7. for me it is one of two things...the head comes without a body, but it is perfect for a character I have, or I love one but the other does not suit the character, most of my dolls are hybrids for this reason

8. Haha, I have two random heads lying around. One head I bought because well, he was a full doll from someone but his body sold so I adopted just his head (he is about to get his body though) Then I got an extra sleeping head with my Delf Moon which will eventually have a body too.

My friend just bought a head (it was originally a boy's head) so that he could get a female body elsewhere for it. So I think that would be a good reason too, if you wanted a different gender than that of the original doll's intention. I have to say, I think his doll is going to look stunning too.

I can completely see myself buying a head though if it was a face I was in love with if I was afraid I might not be able to afford the full doll. I would likely purchase the head and look for a cheaper body and amusingly enough even if magically there were not alternative bodies...I might get the head anyways in hopes that one day there would be.

9. I bought A Miho and Ryu last year.. sold my Miho regrettably [I didn't have a body or money] and I still have my Ryu, he shares my Luts Senior Delf Cian's body. I also just ordered a Sleeping Head, which I have plans to mod and I'm going to be buying a cheaper body cause I can't afford the doll solely from the company.

10. I don't know about anyone else, but I personally am saveing up to a head and a full BJD ^.^; I'm going to use the origional head of the doll for another doll that I'm going to save up for later, because the head for the doll I'm CURRENTLY saveing for does not suit the character that I have planed for my boy ^.^; but I still love the head, so I'm not gonna buy just the body.

11. Certain companies only make heads so if you want one of their dolls you have to buy head & body seperately. Recently I've been buying a few heads to replace ones that I no longer cared for. I figured that since I had some perfectly good bodies I'd just replace the heads rather than buying completely new dolls. One head I bought was simply because it belonged to a doll I'd wanted for a long time & was a very good deal. I had to buy a seperate body for it but even then it was much less expensive than the complete doll would have been.

12. Why just a head?................

I purchase "just a head" for a few reasons! At the moment I have two heads on their way to me! One is Ninodoll Shampoo, Ninodoll don't make bodies.

I have another head on it's way from Leekeworld, this company makes the matching body but I don't like it so I am using another body for this head!

Sometimes I'll buy the head first just to see if I like it, and if I do, the body follows on.
      I did this with my PaleTan Dollstown Seola 13, I wasn't sure if I'd like the PaleTan skintone, but I did, and I purchased the body for her.
      That way I'm not stuck with the "whole" doll to sell, only the head, much easier to sell.

And sometimes I can't afford the whole doll at once, so I'll just get the head and purchase the body when I'm cashed up! This way I can still do the face-up and "get to know" the doll, and look forward to making them "whole"..:)

So yes, I think it's a good idea to buy "just a head"......;)

xen :)

13. I bought "just a head" because it was affordable, and plus it was already in-country (yeah, I bought secondhand) so I got it in just five days (without having to wait for customs and all). I will get him a body later.

14. For me, it was because the bodies the heads came on just weren't particularly appealing and I was unwilling to buy the entire doll when I knew the body it was on was going to annoy me. Also part of the decision was that the characters are somewhat scrawny goth boys, and the bodies they came on (they are, BTW, twins) were just a little too muscular and healthy looking for them, so I got them different ones. Availability was also a factor. One of them is pre-loved from the MP, and the other was in stock at a dealer, so it didn't take me to long to get them. It helped that the company had, at the time, for some reason, taken their sculpt off their site, so I wasn't sure I'd be able to get their heads at all if I didn't get them while I had the chance. They've since been returned to the site, but I'm happy I got them when I did and gave unwanted heads a good home (the head I got from the dealer sat on their page for that company for *months*) rather than just ordering them from the company.

15. Haha, I think this thread is perfect for me.
      My first doll will be a hybrid so I will order a head first (AF Xun)
      The reason for this because I don't like the AF body, so I searched around for other bodies to match her head.
      And taa-daa, I fell in love with AOD body ^_^

16. In the near future I'm going to be buying "just a head". It's a company that I really love [Soom] but I wasn't so pleased with his body.

I plan on perhaps buying an AoD body, as the resin seems to match the best and is within my price range. Overall, it's sometimes cheaper to mix heads and bodies from different companies. Just make sure the resin match well with one another. ^^

17. Because if the doll is sold as just a head with a beautiful OOAK artist faceup, it's totally worth it. I don't mind waiting for a body if I get a beautiful face in return that I couldn't purchase otherwise. :] I tend to get better deals by buying the head and body separately, oddly enough.

18. The only time I bought a head separately was to do a mod for Ruvik. It was a huge project for someone who had only done minor mods before so getting the head first seemed like the right thing to do. Also, my friend and I simply didn't have the money to buy a complete doll so a practice head was the only financially stable option.

#118 maykoh, May 22, 2016
      Last edited: May 23, 2016
    19. Buying just the head can be beneficial if you're looking to hybrid, can only find the head secondhand if the doll is currently sold-out and plan to piece the doll together, or if you just want to spend a lesser amount now and buy the body later. I've also purchased an extra head if it's a different variation to go with the full doll.

20. I don't like having floating heads at all. Having an incomplete doll bugs me so bad, and I always feel like I need to rush to get a body.

But when I do have them around, it's usually due to waiting on a body. I have quite a few hybrids and I usually get the heads first because they're easier to get, or because I refuse to settle on a head sculpt but maybe can bend on the body. I often like a head but not the default body, and having the head and body fit my OC is very important to me. Sometimes I wind up with an unplanned event head and fall in love, but can't afford a body for awhile. Currently, I have a head from a failed hybrid, so I sold the body and haven't been able to get the body I want for him yet. I have had headless bodies before too, usually if a character doesn't work out for me but I love the body, I'll try to find a new head and character to go with the body.