1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Will you give up to buy a doll because of others' bad compliments?

Sep 3, 2010

1. If I had already decided on a particular sculpt I wouldn't be put off it.

If there was a lot of discussion about bad joints, it being hard to pose, yellowing, I'd take that into account - but only as points to bear in mind and overcome. I'd see it as more of a challenge. If I had fallen for the doll then I would consider that they were worth the extra effort of care/maintenance/etc. I would not abandon/give up on a pet if I had heard they were hard to love or had some peculiar breed faults - it's exactly the same for me with a bjd.

So the short answer is; no, not in the slightest.

2. I'm still trying to figure out why other people's opinions would affect one's own doll tastes at all.

But no, personally, a bad public opinion of a sculpt wouldn't dissuade me. I mean, I ask for my friends' thoughts when I choose a doll for a specific character, but that's only to make sure my choice fits as well as I think it will. It has nothing to do with how much I like the doll or not, and if I really love it, I'll get it anyway.

3. I buy dolls because I like them, not because other people like them. If my goal as a doll owner was to be popular on the internet, certainly I would concern myself with other people's opinions of dolls when I made a buying decision. But since my goal -- and most people's goals I expect -- is to make myself happy, I don't care what other people think about my dolls as long as I like them.

4. No. From my point of view those compliments, good or bad ones, are just other people's opinions about it. I respect them, but I follow my own likes and opinion. I think my taste is the one that has to count as far as I am the person who is going to own the BJD I chose.

5. I guess it depends on the specifics of the comment. If they're just telling me they think the doll is ugly or too popular or whatever then no, I don't let that influence my decision to buy the doll. I'm not much inclined to care what others think about specific molds, and since I'm the one spending my hard-earned money on the doll, I really only have to please myself. On the other hand, if they were trying to warn me that the company made poor-quality dolls or if they were trying to tell me that that specific mold often had quality problems, that would be a different matter. I don't want to spend my money on something that is poorly-made. So I would pay attention to that kind of comment and do more research before making up my mind to buy or not buy the doll.

6. Never. My money, I like the doll, I'm getting the doll. I refuse to let people's opinions turn me away from something I love as much as I do this hobby.

7. No, I don't believe I would. The particular doll that I'M looking for, a lot of people have mixed feelings on. He looks a LITTLE more realistic, but a lot of people prefer dolls with huge eyes and that are kind of anime-like.
      I hold other's opinions high, but I'd give a doll a chance. Though I'd try to look around and see if there are any pictures circulating around the 'net of the doll from people who have bought it. You know- sellers only post the best pictures of dolls. <3
      My boyfriend thinks the dolls look funny, but he likes the one I chose. <3

8. Hasn't affected me. I knew that liking an anthro doll such as my little Alice Cherry Blossom, already came with some negativity. I adore this doll a lot from the start and wouldn't dare drop her out just because some people don't like the fact she's not human.

9. Nope. A friend of mine doesn't really like Fairyland Chloe (despite having nearly every other Minifee), but that didn't stop me. ;)

10. I hope no one changes their mind because of someone else's opinion (if it is not based on some fact like bad quality or something like that).

I know I would not, but I'm older and am past worrying about peer pressure!

It's good to see that so many of you know your own minds and will stand up for yourselves, though! :)

Some people are still too worried about what other people say and allow things said to hurt them too much. This is sad. Yes, it is OK to listen to what friends and parents say, but one also needs to learn to decide for yourself what is best for you! Hopefully people who are still listening too much to others and taking it too much to heart will eventually learn to decide for themselves and feel more sure about their own opinions. Maybe if you (OP) talk to your friend about it, she will reconsider. On the other hand, maybe she wasn't as into the doll she originally wanted as she thought???

11. Once more I feel like I'm the one going against the grain here but my answer has to be yes :sweat
      Well... ok it was yes a while ago. I was influenced into not buying dolls that I liked because of general opinions and opinions of my (so-called) friends. I regret my decisions to not buy dolls that I actually liked. It took a year or two to realise just how miserable I was being swayed by people. I ended up dissociating myself with the group of people who "poisoned" me against dolls that I liked.

These days I do go for what I like. For example, I love the jungatoy skull, my friend hates it and I've heard a few disagreeable opinions from various people. I still like it though so I shall someday have one.

I don't think that opinions are always a bad thing though. Like when I told my friend that I was saving for a Sabik, she warned me that he isn't always such a photogenic doll. I'm glad she warned me that they don't always look as good as the do on the website. I still want one anyway but its good to know that information so I'm not disappointed later.
      There is a big difference between telling someone not to buy a doll and advising someone about the doll they want to buy.
      I suppose it all comes down to this: knowing when to ignore advice and opinion and go with your heart and when to take what's being said on board and make your own judgement :)

12. People have opinions, and they're entitled to them.

Bad comments, fine.

But that shouldn't stop you from buying the doll you want. You're entitled to your opinion too right?

13. If the comments were in regards to quality or asymmetry, then I would consider them. Otherwise if they're only negative comments due to personal taste it wouldn't slow me down in getting the doll.

14. Being an adult that lives in my own place, I do whatever I want. Negative statements don't often have much power over me, unless it comes from someone I love. Even if that were the situation, I make my own money. I'm 26. I'm going to do what makes me happy as long as it isn't hurting anyone else.

15. Seems I'm in agreement with many previous posters-
      If someone else had a problem with the aesthetics of a doll, I wouldn't give a hang. I'm getting it because I like it, not to please the masses!
      If I was looking at a doll that someone had a problem with because the doll had actual physical problems, I'd be inclined to research it a bit more and maybe not get the doll.

16. Absolutely not. It's my doll, my money & I'm not about to let someone else's bad opinion of a doll keep me from buying it. I'm far too old & comfortable with my own choices to let such a thing influence me. In my collecting, as in all areas of my life, I believe in remaining true to myself.

17. That might make me think over my decision and do more "research" on that sculpt but I think I'm pretty stubborn, I probably won't give up.

18. i would give up BUYING it, but probably not SELLING it if i already have it and love it :)

19. Absolutely not. Everyone has different tastes - I like what I like, and if someone else does not share the same opinion that's fine. It doesn't bother me. I tend to gravitate towards a lot of unpopular/uncommon sculpts, anyway. Not about to change my preferences just to please someone else.

20. Totally NOT. It's my hobby, my money, my dolls. I'm not talking into other's people things so why should I decide according to THEIR opinion? No way. In the end, I'm the one who's money and time it is and I am the one who will be playing with the doll after.
      Those who don't like it can just...go annoy other people, because I won't change my mind just because someone don't like the doll I'm getting xD