1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Will you give up to buy a doll because of others' bad compliments?

Sep 3, 2010

1. For nobody except my boyfriend, with whom I share a flat, a working life, and all our possessions. Even thought the doll hobby is really my side of things, I would not be happy to have a doll that he could not enjoy or bear to look at. I always pass photos of doll sculpts along to him to see if he likes them or not.

Though when it comes down to it, I'm quite good at convincing him... I recall he really disliked V.Williams when I first showed him the pictures... but I got him to see the best side of the doll in the end ^_^b

2. If someone offered comments, advice, or warnings against buying a particular doll or sculpt, I would listen to what they had to say. If their concerns involve quality, stolen intellectual property, or bad business practices, then I might reconsider. I like designs that I like, but quality, theft, and poor service are subjects I take very seriously.

However, ultimately I am going to buy the doll that I most want to own. If they don't like it, that's something they will have to deal with. I won't compromise on an issue like this one.

3. No. If I decide to do something, then I hve some significant reasons for doing that. That rule works here perfectly. Dolls are not just beautiful things, so, everything's very serious.

4. None of my boys are popular here on the forums, so I really don't give up buying the sculpt I like because of what other people say or think.. I'm not trying to be rude, that's just the truth.

5. I would only pay attention if those comments had something to do with the quality of the resin or jointing. I might think twice about purchasing a doll if everyone who's ever owned one has found it impossible to hold a pose.

If the sculpt just happens to not be their cup of tea? Well, I couldn't really care less.

6. HECK no.

My whole entire family was against me and my doll hobby(and still somewhat is)but I just blew them off and got some more! I love my babies too much to really care what my family or anyone else thinks about them. ;D

7. ^Ditto. XDD

8. I can see how it would be disheartening.
      I tend to be really easy to use backward psychology on, though. Say I agree with a political standpoint, but most of the other people who agree are completely pushy and self-righteous about it, I will start to disagree.
      Same with being insulted. If I got negative comments on a doll I'd probably like and bond with the doll even more. XD

9. No. If you like the doll, then go for it. There will always be people out there that will have negative comments. If they don't like it then thats just too bad, it's not hurting them in any way. If you don't want to buy something that someone else didn't like then you could never buy anything. People have their own personal taste. Go with yours and that's all that matters ^.^

10. Actually, this happened to me. :( My best friends and my fiance said that the MNF Miyu looked like and alien and they didn't like her eye shape.
      Then, I was originally tied to Miyu and Shushu, so I bought Shushu first, but I plan on getting Miyu later. ^^
      I don't regret it though. I love how versatile she is. ♥

11. It depends on what subject they protest about.

The design of the sculpt, like how ugly the nose?
      Then I will still buy it.

The how hard the doll pose/ strung..?
      If it is not out of control then I will stilly buy it.

The copied-cast / poor quality?
      Then that's it, time to search for a new doll~

12. Let's put it this way:

I was showing my mom the body of the female DM Kids, and she said they look like dolls for pedophiles.
      My mom says some crazy things, sometimes.
      But my doll arrived yesterday!

Although, if it's an 'educated' opinion (say, from another BJD hobbyist), then I might take it into consideration.

Like if they tell me:

They don't like the sculpt
      , they'll probably say they're not putting my choice down, and that it's just their opinion. I'd still buy it.

The bodies tend to be hard to handle, string, pose, etc., then I'd sort of compromise, and look for a head, but a body that had a better rep. For example, I wanted to get a RS Mei, but the bodies are hard to string, and they tend to run skinny. But BBB has a Mei head for sale, so I'll look into making her a hybrid. If they don't have a head, then either I take my chances, or find another doll

The resin was hard to match, it really would only bother me if I was making a hybrid. If not, then I wouldn't care.

The quality is terrible, then I'd look elsewhere.

They take a century to ship, then I'd probably look elsewhere, too.

13. Nope. When I'm set on something, I'll get it. I don't tend to care what people think.

However if someone mentioned that the quality was bad and had photographic proof of that I might reconsider. Or if I really liked the doll I would buy it and replace/remake whatever didn't seem to be right.

14. I can't imagine not getting a doll just because someone else said they didn't like that particular mold or body. If they had a reason behind their opinion than simple aesthetics, like difficulty posing or quality of the resin, I'd definitely listen if they had experience with the doll. But in the end, I'd get what I want. I tend to be a little bullheaded when it comes to things like that, and a lot of the times, I have to make my own mistakes.

15. Never. If I have my heart set on it, I go for it. I mean... not everyone loves the darker skinned dolls, right?
      No one can demotivate me from my big spend.

16. This world is very judgemental.:roar You have to truly stand up for what you love and deeply value.:) I would NOT give up on what I love because others don't agree with what I enjoy! I just wear my different and express clothes with my sweet Sha and keep on moving happily!:celebrate:whee: Besides this is MY life not theirs; I do as I please!;):cool:

17. I'm currently saving to get a twin for my BBB Luna, I guess that answers the question.

18. If a person is so sensitive to someone else's opinion, then maybe this is not the hobby for them. Dolls are like women, there are all different types out there and they are all different. Viva la difference!

19. If those "bad compliments" pertain to feedback from other buyers about customer service and the damaged state of the item, then yes I will give up on the doll. But if the comments are coming from people who do not own the dolls themselves, then I don't see why their opinion would matter to me since it would seem like they don't even know what they're talking about. "Eye of the beholder" and all that.

20. Goodness, no! Unless there was some kind of TERRIBLE THING that would be a good reason not to get the doll (which is unlikely anyway, and I'd have to research it myself) then they can make as many snide/negative comments as they want! Like hell I'd stop loving a doll if they don't love it too! It's my resin baby, and nobody will change my mind about it but me!

and like ArouraAnn said, if it's about the company, then I wouldn't hold it against the doll! And I would try to get it second hand if I had to. :)