1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Will you give up to buy a doll because of others' bad compliments?

Sep 3, 2010

1. Nope. xD
      Because more times than not, no one can give me a REAL reason as to why the doll is "ugly" or whatever. They'll look at me and say "just 'cuz." Ffff.

And even then, even I'll admit my fave company, Dollmore, their DMKs look WEIRD without faceups (eg: frogs |D)... but omg I love it xD

2. i would never let someone else's opinion affect my decision to buy or not buy a particular doll. however, if that opinion were about the quality of the doll, i think more research would have to be done, and in that case i would welcome the opinion of those who already have the doll.

3. The thing is, if you're even considering getting rid of a doll because of someone else's opinions, then either:

1. you didn't like the doll a lot in the first place, and are now just looking for excuses to get rid of it without feeling guilty.

or

2. You weren't ready for dolls at all.

4. depends on what the complaints are. For instance, if the complaints are about oh say company practices i.e. Extremely late or no doll, Noticeable air bubbles in the resin, etc. If I was dead set on that mold, I'd take a look at the owner pics, and compare. If the complaints were about the doll itself, and stuff like weird jointed system or something. Well, I can always hybrid if I really hated the system. But no I wouldn't let that deter me. And I certainly wouldn't let people saying that the doll was ugly stop me from getting it. Although, I will point out that there are so many molds now, a lot of dolls look like other dolls through no fault of their own. So these days, I find it hard to get dead locked into a single mold, it's usually between 3 or something. @-@;;;

5. Hmm... If people just say that they hate the doll I am interested in, I have no interest in their opinion. I'm sure they have some doll that I don't like, too. Sometimes I feel a little glum if my bf says he doesn't like a doll I'm seriously considering, but it only lasts a few minutes. I'm still going to buy it if I really want it!

However, I may feel deterred from buying from a certain company if it receives lots of bad reviews. In that case, I try to buy from the second hand market if I can, or I just give up on the doll if I don't love it enough to keep looking into things.

6. I was showing my mom the picture of Emma, when I was saving for her. Then I decided to show her the bare body to let her see how the body looked. She remarked it was a pedophile's doll... yes, she said that. I guess, in her defense, I should mention that Emma was a DM Kid Flocke (an immature MSD). And I also never premised it with why people would look at doll bodies, mature or immature, in terms of look and posability.

I got mad - how could I not, really? But that didn't stop me from still saving. It might require some more answers if I finally decide to body-blush her, though. But I never ever thought anyone would think that.

7. Nope. In particular, I had people tell me Kun was too "normal" and Pippitan was a dumb-looking doll (actually some people have said some pretty nasty things about her). To date, they are still two of my favorite without question. It has to be about what you want and which dolls will make you happy. End of story.

8. It really depends on what they are saying about the doll. Saying something negative about a doll doesn't particularly mean that a person is being negative or mean.
      For example, I fell in love with a doll once and I had decided to save up for her and bring her home. I told a friend of mine, who knows me quite well, and she immediately told me that I would not like the doll if I got it. My immediate reaction was to feel a little bad that she would say something like that about a doll that I liked quite a lot. I asked her to explain why she was so sure I would dislike it and she directed me to a thread about the posing issues the doll has. I tend to care quite a bit about being able to pose my dolls well so reading that it was an issue that the doll had made me decide to not get the doll. I wasn't upset with my friend and I was glad that she had told me even though it came through as quite negative at first.
      At another point I was looking at a new limited release and mentioned to my friend that I quite liked him and maybe I should get him, she immediately responded that I would not like him if I looked at him again the next day. She even went so far as to say that I would think he was ugly. I have to admit... She knows me darn well, I pulled up his photo the next day and didn't like him at all. XD
      So I guess in answer it really depends on how and why someone says something negative to me. If it is said in a rude way I couldn't care less but generally when I hear negative things it is helpful to me!

9. When I was first seriously considering getting a dbdoll yelang, my mom made a comment that made me lose interest in him (part of it was the comment 'ruined' the way I saw him, and I had a few difficulties, like thinking of hybriding ect.)
      A year rolled by and I found myself looking at him again - fell in love once more. This time many of my doubts were alleviated; more owner pictures, better hybriding info, and dbdoll had their own body out (before, they only sold heads.) at first I thought their body was too expensive for me, but after 'really' looking at it, I fell in love with the dbdoll body too.
      While I was waiting for him, a friend told me he was scary and creepy, which really hurt, mainly because I saw so much more in that sculpt - I just felt more determined to try and prove her wrong XD
      So yeah, I brought him home and made him into the stern, wise protector that I envisioned. Even my mom ended up adoring him!! XD

So, I guess if comments affect you like that, then maybe its just not the time to get that doll?

As for a comment causing me to get rid of the ones I already have - no way in hell !! XD I love them all to death.

10. As other say it really depend on what was said.

If the comments are about the actual function of the doll, such as the design of the doll body is not well (worst than so and so company whose body I dislike) then yes I will take that kind of comment into consideration.

If it just about how he/she thinks the doll is "ugly" that is really irrelevant to me as everyone has different taste so that is not constructive comment toward my doll buying decision.

11. No way, I was raised as a single daughter and I have a very strong personality regarding this kind of matters, and I don't have the remorse of "what other people might think", if I like it and it's my money, I buy it, period, no argument it's valid if I'm happy with my doll...

12. Nope. I like strange dolls; I find them oddly endearing. I have a few pretty ones, but mostly prefer the less popular. I don't care what other people think about my dolls. I buy them solely for my enjoyment.

13. About the dolls in general or a particular sculpt?
      About the dolls in general: No I wouldn't. If I like it I like it. My hobbies are exactly that MINE.
      About a particular sculpt: No, again. lol Everyone has different tastes. Get the doll you love, and I'll get the doll I love.

14. Nope. Criticism about appearance would not put me off. It is my doll and for me to enjoy. If I like it I don't care what anyone else thinks.
      The only thing that would stop me buying a doll is if I hear about poor build quality or issues with them that I don't want to have to deal with myself.

15. Never. I wouldn't give up on something unless I have a very good reason to do so, such as if it's a quality issue (wonkyness in the body, bad equilibrium, etc.) If it's to my liking, why should I bend to what other people like when they aren't going to be the ones owning it, or even paying for it, etc? Normally I don't let other people's negative opinions bother me when it comes to this sort of thing, because in the end it's going to be me loving the doll.

16. Meh, I've gotten a lot of negative comments from people about my dolls/doll I like but I'm not in the hobby to please other people. As long as it's a sculpt I like and I'm enjoying the dolls, it doesn't really matter to me what other people are saying. I'd understand if there were issues with the company or something people were pointing out, but if people just don't like the doll, it doesn't really affect me.

17. I have had a few of my dolly friends outright express their dislike of some of the doll sculpts I own/have waited on (of course this was when I asked them for their specific opinion of said sculpts), and while I did find it interesting to see what elements of the sculpts might be unappealing to others, all it really did was make me look back again, look at those specific areas and decide whether or not it bothered me. Usually it didn't. I can't be much bothered about other people's opinions on a doll sculpt itself unless it's simply to reexamine the doll and see if it still fits within my own tastes, not to change my mind because it doesn't fit other people's tastes. That's not who I'm buying the doll for.

18. It was some other people's comments which, in the end, made me dislike my MiniFee Ruth to the point that I sold him (however this was at a meet, people were actually saying these things to my face, its much much worse like that)...though I think maybe that wasn't the primary reason for it at all. I'm a sleeping/dreaming eye lover, the open wide eyes didn't really suit what I like about dolls and the character for him too. I'm going to be getting a sleeping Ruth at some point so I can start anew. That does not make me shallow, just looking for excuses, ill prepared to have one or anything like that, there was obviously something about that mould that I must have disliked without knowing it.

However, times where I've been turned off from purchasing a doll? The only way that happens is if I find something about a doll that I dislike and not having other people influence that for me. I've had people say they dislike the LadySaiyuki Chibi Ted I bought, that Obitsu Haruka are hideous, how on earth could I pick up a liking for an AoD Wan-Wan and even DARE to put lovely Soom hooves onto some cheap chinese thing like an AoD doll. Nope, I do not care at all in that respect.

19. About one of my dolls so spoke, but I have all the same bought it, as I consider that first of all the doll should be pleasant to me. But as she the vampire I before purchase have shown its photo to the husband and has asked its consent: at us in apartment one room and to the husband it could be unpleasant to be in one room with the vampire (moreover and at night!).

20. Never. A doll is a piece of your heart to deny it is to deny part of yourself.

Always have faith in what your heart wants no matter how strange it is to others. The dolls will never hurt anyone, it's a shame people can't be a little more like that. Don't worry, bad compliments never hurt a dolls feelings, as long as you love it it will be happy. :D