1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Will you give up to buy a doll because of others' bad compliments?

Sep 3, 2010

1. I pay no attention to negative comments about aesthetics. We all have our personal preferences, after all! There are plenty of popular sculpts I'm not a big fan of (Volks, for example). But yet there are some less-popular sculpts I like as well. And vice versa! But negative feedback about a COMPANY will discourage me from purchasing their products (aka. damaged/lost goods, bad communication, etc).

2. If you fall in love with one special doll and definitely want to adopt her home, but there are some people say the doll is strange or horrible. Will you give up?

The short answer to this question: not a chance. I will never let other people's opinions dictate my own personal feelings about anything, no matter what it is.

3. If I like a doll I like it. There are many dolls that other ppl like but I don't so I won't buy it. In the end the doll is going to be with me not with them so it doesn't matter. On the other hand if the company is getting a lot of negative feedback for the quality of their dolls, for example if the resin cracks easily and consistently, I won't buy the doll because bad resin has nothing to do with aesthetics.

4. No no no :3
      I really pay no attention to bad compliments. If I like a doll, nobody can make me change my mind :p

5. If no one would accept it that I like dolls, I would be giving it up. It would make me think that it is abnormal to own a doll when you aren't a child anymore.
      But knowing that a whole community on the internet doesn't think that it is weird + my parents who accept it makes me want to get one really badly. :)

6. I agree with Pinksugar on this, if a company has a bad reputation or negative views then I will probably steer clear. I think that this whole hobby is subjective and we are all entitled to our own opinions; if someone said something negative about a doll of mine or one I was going to purchase then it wouldn't make much difference to me. There are plenty of very popular dolls out there that are not to my taste; but if someone likes it, that is their prerogative.

7. I guess I'm just kind of perverse, but the more people talk about how they hate a doll I like, the more I want it! I love the slightly odd sculpts, like my Bobobie Luna...so go ahead and call her bubble butted, I'll still love her all the more!

8. I don't think I would, I've just ordered my first doll and naturally I wanted to show the promo pictures to one of my closest friend's at school to show my boy off. She however reacted rather negatively, saying that he's creepy and ugly. A week later, I still ordered him. I mean sure it would be nice if everyone liked and appreciate the sculpts you get but, I agree that it's something that most importantly you yourself are supposed to enjoy.

9. These are all great comments! I agree with the bad company feedback, but in regards to pure aesthetics, I waver a bit on the inside occasionally if the negative comment is coming from someone I know personally, but in the end I'm buying the doll for myself, and as long as she makes me happy I'm okay with what other people think of her, even if it's negative. For example, I paid off my 1st MSD girl this week, and upon showing pictures of her to my boyfriend he made some comment about how he didn't like her at all. Later when I was browsing Flickr I came across another MSD and he mentioned how he did like her. Part of me thought "Oh no, maybe I should have gotten her instead!" But when it comes down to it I ordered the doll that I did because I loved her. She's not for my boyfriend, she's for me and I'm happy with my decision. Heck, part of me even feels a little special for liking unpopular sculpts. :)

10. TBH if everybody seems to dislike the doll and I am the only one who likes it then i would probably steer clear of it. I'm easily swayed, and it worries me that if i buy it now, the features that others don't like will get to me over time.

11. I guess it would depend what kind of complaints they were. If a simple, "It's stupid," or "It's ugly," that wouldn't stop me at all.

But if the complaints were more specific and constructive--questionable features in the sculpt, practical problems with the joints, or resin issues with the company--I would give the doll a serious second thought.

12. I like many unpopular sculpts. Sometimes I've even had to dislike a sculpt myself before I loved it. When I first saw DM Paran's promo pictures, she looked kinda fetal to me. Then I saw owner pictures and knew that the styling was the key, and she was quite beautiful to me. My mother had helped me find my first two dolls, and she really was pushing for me to get DM Ciel instead. It took my mom a bit longer to understand what I was seeing in the sculpt, and she would periodically check to see how serious I was about getting my Paran. When my doll arrived, Mom instantly loved her. Now Mom loves my doll so much she really wants my girl for herself.

As for other doll folks, if someone dislikes a sculpt that's their business; and it's fine. I've seen random people go out of their way to insult a sculpt they disliked just because others of us were loving on it, and I just write those opinions off. Life's too short to worry about what anyone else thinks in matters of aesthetics.

13. Um, hell no!!!! If i love a doll for some reason, im not going to give it up just because someone has issues with it. People are going to have different views. Some will have positive, others will say differently.

14. Nope. It's best to just get who you like really. ^-^

15. I believe the saying is 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. If someone says that a certain sculpt I like is ugly, it just means that they have a different sense of beauty than I do. And it's those sorts of things that make us indivdiuals. So no, I don't think so.

16. I think it's the same with dolls and tatoos: You are the only one who has to like them. But if you aren't sure if you really want to buy this doll, it's not wrong to listen to the opinion of others, I think. But if you've fallen in love with a doll it won't matter what they say. And if you don't like the doll anymore after listening to the opinion of others, it wasn't the right one for you ...

17. No way! When I think a doll is pretty, I don't care what others think.
      They're not the ones who should love it, I am.
      Of course it's nice when your friends like your doll, but they wouldn't be able to stop me from buying one.

18. hmmm well, I am dealing with something like that now but not because of what I read on a forum from people I don't really know. I am actually selling my Volks Yugiri because my husband fears her with a passion (weird huh?). For me it's simple, if I want to keep buying dolls without being challenged I should at least consider my normally uncomplaining husband's objections to this one little doll. But who knows, she might stay with me in the end. He seems to have stopped noticing her.

To more specifically answer the OP's question, I think it is ok to be influenced by others if you believe that they are giving you sound advice. All of us needs a bit of advice from time to time but in the end it is up to the individual to process advice and decide for themselves. If it is a question of pure aesthetics I would buy the doll even if many people thought it was strange (my profile doll is proof of that :)) If your gut tells you to ignore all the protests and go for it than go for it. It's not like buying a doll can have any real negative consequences. Later if you find that you don't like it you can always sell it and get another.

19. Most likely not. Actually, the only other rl friend I have in this hobby tends to really dislike the dolls that I like, while I'm not much a fan of ones she does! We usually laugh about it, and hey, this means we're not likely to end up with the same bjd!

20. I'm the kind of person that, unless it's constructive criticism of my art and writing, I usually couldn't care less what people think. I'm certainly not going to let someone discourage me from buying a doll I love just because *they* don't like it. There not the ones buying it, and if they don't like the doll, they can just not look at it.