1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Will you sell your doll to me?

Jan 25, 2010

1. Such a compliment is quite flattering. I don't feel offended by it at all. Somebody asked me to sell my first doll. I think it's a great way to find a caring new home if you're ready to part (and if not, consider yourself lucky to be the one in control :)

2. I've not had anyone ask that kind of question, but to be honest, I don't know that many other doll people besides my partner.

3. Think of being asked this in another way... what if a total stranger walked up to you and asked if they could buy an item of jewelry, or a coat or a purse you were carrying.... To me asking out of the blue to buy a doll is not much different than that....

"oh sure let me grab a plastic bag so I can let you have my purse!" ... I'd be the one looking like a nut then...

"you like my pendant that much? sure I'll sell Grandma's gift to me"... uh no...

It's one thing for a person to express how much they like something, like I often do when I see stuff that is just what I've been wanting. But I at least just ask them if it is possible for me to find it somewhere so I could buy my own. This happens with clothing and 'bags' as I am always on the hunt for stuff I like... But to me asking for a doll is no different than asking for ... lets call them 'wearable's'.

If they want something someone else has at least have brains enough that if I have it it's because I want it... Just ask where I got it so they can get thier own... Information is free and gladly given.... But don't expect me to part with something I got for myself just cuz you saw it and liked it too...

I can see ppl making mistakes at cons especially if it's at a sale table or a display... thinking it's meant to be for sale... but not always even then... I expect ppl to THINK before speaking.

4. I've heard of this happening a lot, but it has yet to happen to me, thank god. I'm not entirely sure what I'd do, but it would definitely give me some very negative emotions.

I hope it never happens to me, but since I've been hearing this more and more, and I do tend to take my dolls out in public, I guess I'd better start preparing!

I have wanted to make legitimate offers on friends' dolls before, but I NEVER would. It's just disrespectful, and I would be annoyed if they offered to buy one of mine, especially since all of my friends know how much my dolls mean to me.

5. I understand what you mean. I've been asked by total strangers to sell my shoes, my car and even my dog(!). It is a bit unusual (like money can buy everything), but I always keep in mind people ask these questions because they really like what they see. It's a complicated compliment, but nevertheless I take it as a compliment. It's good to share different views. I know now many doll-owners consider it to be rude if you ask them to sell their dolls (maybe it feels a bit like someone asks you to sell your children?), so I'll bear that in mind. Maybe it's also nice to know that some doll-owners are not offended if you ask them the same question (they even might sell the doll you've been longing for desperately, cause after all many dolls are being sold by their first owners :)

It just crossed my mind that this also might have something to do with culture. Dutch people are very direct (so don't be surprised if some Dutch guy or girl you've just met, asks you how much you earn, lol). We don't mean to be rude, we're just interested and we're used to ask lots of questions because we live in a tolerant and open society. I like the differences. What do you think, does this make any sense?

6. Dear god I had this happen last meet up. These two little girls were coming over to our table their mom only told them once "Stop that!" when they were touching someone's SOOM and then went over and started trying to touch an SD's face up. I went over knelt to their level and said in the sweetest voice I could muster: "Hey, it's okay to look but please don't touch them okay?" And smiled...They immedietly stared at my head and tried to touch it and I said firmly: "NO!" Their hand halted and I moved as fast as I could to a fully standing position, since that incident when I was seven I've HATED having people touch my head especially kids who don't know me. (Family, different since they've had 'hand to head' rights since I was born and they know my policy.) Their mother just sat their and watched said nothing. Even when her kids were purposely getting in my way when I was trying to go back over to my mom to get my drink. I finally had to say in a firm but semi loud voice: "It's fine to look but rude to STARE!" after THREE excuse mes and when I looked over at their mother I'm pretty sure she could sense I was capable of going over and telling her off cause she finally called her spawn over and handed them her iphone.

Oh these kids were also eerily silent the entire time, said nothing, not even in response to when I told them no. They never went back near the dolls either.

7. Sounds like there's more going on in that family than meets the eye. I kind of feel for the kids because they're not getting any social graces from their mother and it's a personal irritation of mine when people use technology to babysit their kids. It's like the default response now is "shut up and play with this iPad".

I have had a different experience with inquisitive kids. It hasn't been about dolls, but something else. These girls (who must have been around 7 or 8) were very interested and talking animatedly to their mother because they liked the pink Dr Marten boots another girl on the bus was wearing. Instead of quietly telling them not to stare at the other girl and no, the mother didn't know where to get boots like that etc... etc... she really bellowed and shouted at her girls and was really overboard for the situation. It's important that kids learn manners, but telling them not to be so rude while she's there shouting at them and getting in their faces was a mixed-message (it's rude to shout too, mother) and made me and the girl with the boots very uncomfortable. I couldn't really tell her to stop talking to her children that way because I don't know her from Adam and it really had nothing to do with me, and also the girls didn't seem frightened of their mother (which implies this is her usual volume and style of speaking to them,) but it felt like an overly harsh response for some innocent questions.

I wouldn't like it if kids touched my dolls faces because it's an expensive job if they do rub a face-up off and of course I'd feel uncomfortable if the child started demanding that I give them my doll or an overly enthusiastic parent started offering me $$$ to buy my doll for their little darling, but innocent questions are nothing and I'm more than happy to answer those.

8. Yikes...Ugh I've ran into plenty of THOSE types of parents who do the shouting method instead of being quiet about it and using it as a teaching moment or even going over and simply asking where the girl got the shoes.

I don't mind questions either, we've had a lot of folks come by our table at the meet up where this happened, some wanting to go around and take pictures of our dolls, some just curious of what their for or where we got them and my favorite was: "So these are all totally customizable? They all pose and stuff? Wow...Sorry I've just been curious and want to know more about them, my daughter has one."

9. :lol: I love that! I hope that parent got involved :) If BJDs weren't so expensive my brother would totally get one for the customisability and the posing based on what he's seen of my dolls, but he already has one expensive hobby (wargaming miniatures) so he doesn't need another one!

10. I've never had any one ask me to give them one of my girls but I have had people pm me asking if I would sell them. I only had a picture in the companies thread.

11. I used to bring my dolls to my high school and take them out in the art class room. One of my boys ended up with his head off and pants down, paraded around the room by my art teacher saying how weird/gross it was. I honestly didn't expect that from someone who teaches art history. XP

As far as asking to buy a doll, I don't ask unless I see a sign saying they're for sale or if the owner mentions they're for sale. Mostly because I know I'd never be able to afford them on the spot. I just ask what company they're from/what mold they are if I'm that interested.

12. I think it would depend on how they asked. I'm not really interested in selling, but I have a phoenix shoulder puppet that several people have tried to buy off me. She is not for sale, but I always give the people the information on where they can get on similar to her. My girl was a custom order that my best friend had made for me as a birthday gift.

I also have a list of people who want to buy certain collectables if I ever decide to sell, and I will sometimes add people to it. That way I can keep track of potential buyers just in case I do ever have to sell.

13. So far no one has asked me if I'd sell them my doll, but I have had friends and acquaintances go wide eye'd at the price when I told them. Then I told them how much certain high end dolls cost, and they sort of calmed down a bit.

I think if a stranger asked me how much to buy one of my dolls, I'd send them to the company web site. I don't want to be the one calling the Ambulance, LOL!

14. I only have one doll and I don't really bring him into public. Not yet at least. I could never sell him. Not even if the person I loved most appraoched me and asked me to sell him for triple what he's worth. This is because he's very special to me. He's the best gift I've ever recieved and I can't imagine having a day where I don't look at him and think of my fiance and the best/worst Christmas of my life. (It's really complicated.) In short, Shiloh's here to stay.

15. I don't ever bring my dolls out in public so I've never been asked in person. I don't even display them other than for my JerryBerry doll (because she just blends in so nicely with my stuffed animals). Though to be honest if someone did ask me and were persistent about it, I'd just name double the price of the doll's worth and if the person is willing to pay it in cash (I won't take check - what if it bounced?) then I'd have no problems selling the doll since I could just rebuy it. I think the only doll I would refuse to sell is my Lati Unicorn Miel because I am rather attached to her and because I almost never see that version up for sale.

I have had people ask me through Flickr to buy some of my dolls before. I don't get offended but it does feel like it came out of nowhere. I mean, if I wanted to sell it then I would say so right? But I also understand because several of my dolls are limited edition and quite hard to find now. So they are probably just randomly asking owners in hopes of finding a sale.

I'm surprised at how many of you get approached on buying your dolls. That's just weird. To be honest if anyone showed any interest in buying something on me (whether it be my purse, necklace, doll etc), I'd probably be worried that they're trying to distract me while a friend robs my purse or something! I'm a paranoid kind of person though. I grew up with a mom who basically taught me that everyone is trying to take our money and to trust no one haha :lol:

And to anyone who is trying to buy someone else's stuff to satisfy their whinny kid? Well #@$! that! My mom would have NEVER let me behave that way.

16. I sell pukifee sized handmade outfits and accessories so I placed a sellig stand in a Western culture con with my Ante modelling one of the outfits and several people wanted to buy her. I told them she was not for sale but when they wanted to know where to buy one and the price they became astonished.
      Some people on facebook also ask whether I make the dolls and their price. Of course they always say it's too expensive for them.

17. Well, I recently had this happen to me actually, I was at a large thrift mall with my newest boy Blade (Iplehouse Claude/Ringdoll hybrid). I was just walking around looking at stuff and had several people come up and ask the usual questions, but a few of them asked if I had bought him at the thrift mall and when I told them I got him online they then asked if they could buy him off me... :sweat

Admittedly being at a thrift mall would certainly make that scenario more likely, but I was still a little surprised by it, thankfully no one was rude when I told them, "No, sorry, he isn't for sale." Only one woman actually asked in-depth questions about him, she even wanted to know about the history of bjd's and how customizable they were, strangely though she never asked to touch or hold him (I guess when I told her the price she was worried about damaging him?). :lol:

18. I haven't been asked about my dolls in real life, but I did have someone on Instagram ask me to "make a doll" for her. And I was like... what lol? So I proceeded to tell her I don't make them and a few dealers where she can find different brands. And she was mad because they don't have the right aesthetic ("the Elfgutz, beat-up look"). So I told her the point of these dolls is they are customizable and she would have to pay someone to do it for her or do it herself. Then she said "yeah maybe when I have money" and left me alone, lol. It wasn't horribly intrusive or anything but it was odd. I've had a couple other people on IG ask politely where to buy them and stuff.

19. I don't think I post nice enough photos of my dolls for anyone to ask to buy them! Even when THEY look magnificent, my photo looks like snot. I'm a terrible photographer! I also think that the aesthetic I prefer isn't too popular anymore, so I don't get offers on my Delfs and DollGa sculpts. The most likes I've gotten on a photo went to my minifee (of course).

20. Luckily I have never had this happen to me. Although my doll isn't limited or a really expensive sculpt, she is very special to me. She is my one and only doll. So I would never dream of just selling her off to anyone. What these people are doing is almost like someone seeing a cute dog and trying to persuade the owner to sell the dog. The owner is not going to want to sell the dog. The dog is part of their family and something that is really special to them. Non-BJD people just don't realize that they're not "just dolls" to us.