1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Will you sell your doll to me?

Jan 25, 2010

1. This sorta happened to me at the first con I took Citlali too. To my surprised a few people asked where I had got her and such. Most thought I had bought her at the Con. XD
      But yes, a older women had come up to me and asked where I had got her and how much she had cost. I told her where and she cost me four-fifty. And after a little more conversing, she began to walk off. But I heard a gentle man, I guess her husband or boyfriend, told her to give me a ten and I could get another one, as they walked off. She then proceeded to tell him she was four-hundred and fifty. > A>;
      So no one technically asked to buy her from me, but it was suggested. XD

2. yeah i'm still not over it. when i go to a meet like that again at a mall i'm only bringing Phoebe ((my elfkin)) so i can tuck her away =^_^=

3. When I get my girl I plan to take her out, I'll be damned if I let my family thinking it's stupid or embarrassing get to me...and now I'm thinking I might want to make Cheska (my planned doll) her own business cards. Even though I'm getting her second-hand I'm going to include the website where she's originally from, DoA, and maybe even my deviantART if I ever get good at face-ups or anything like that. Hehehe. Yay plotting~!

I think the only way I'd ever randomly sell her or anything else I own to a stranger is if they would be willing to stupidly pay more than double what she is worth. Well, not really. Let them deal with saving and scraping together money as miserably as I am. I loves my girl and I don't even have her yet. The thought of her going to anyone else kills me. Heh.

4. Good grief, people are inconsiderate these days... Same with me, I would be very very cautious to take my dolls out. I would make sure to know the kind of atmosphere around the place first though.

5. It's happened to me just once at an airport of all places -_-" And I bring my dolls everywhere (mall, movies, craft stores, fabric stores, etc)

I was waiting for some of my family to arrive from out of town and I'm holding one of my Delf boys. There was this little girl (4?) who pointed at my doll and said "Mommy, I want it! I want it now!". The mother, who was quite rude herself said that her daughter liked my doll and would be so happy if I gave him to her. I was pretty offended at that point. I calmly stated that he cost me a good chunk of change and if she wanted one, I would give her the web address so that she could get one herself. =.=" The mother just said "I'll pay you for it right now, just would you please give my daughter your doll?"

I told her "no" and walked off and sat down to wait again. =_=" Her common sense was broken or something.

6. Jeez... The little girl I can understand and deal with, but the MOTHER? Anyone in their right mind would have at least asked about the doll rather than asking to HAVE it.

7. I don't think I've encountered anything like this in real life, I personally think its rather rude to ask someone to buy something off them. You don't go up to a stranger and ask to buy their coat so why would you ask to buy their doll?

In a situation like that I would just politely say no and if they're persistant to keep being firm and walk away. If someone dares to snatch it out of my hands I'll grab it back and threaten to report to the police. It's what I would do if someone took my bag from my hands, my doll is still my property. Then again, unless its at a convention or middle of a meet, I always have my dolls in their carrycase or sat on my arm tucked into facing me almost in my coat. Out of sight, people can't ask.

8. It's never happened to me, but people do all kinds of strange things, so it doesn't surprise me that it happens. I have had people ask where they come from and where you can get them, but that's a pretty normal sort of question.

9. I've had this at cons and the like, and once when I was taking photo's in my own garden and I really don't regard it as at all flattering or complimentary. I would NEVER walk up to someone and offer them money for something they were holding or wearing! It's one thing to ask someone where they got something, show interest, compliment them on it and take some URL's but quite another to outright offer them money for it and I honestly can't imagine when that would seem socially acceptable tbh.

As for the people who's dolls were snatched from their hands by rude, obnoxious idiots...wow...I sincerely hope you gave those people some SERIOUS words, I can't help thinking if someone did that to me, there would be physical damage involved!

10. For those of you who responded "No, s/he cost me $X", aren't you worried about your doll being stolen? If I was a thief the first thought in my mind would be "snatch the expensive doll and run like hell!"

Anywho, I wouldn't be too worked up if somebody politely asked to buy one of my dolls. Like others have mentioned, people outside this hobby generally have no idea how much these guys cost. They're too used to $20, mass-produced Barbies. I've had sweet little old ladies do the "what is it/where is it from/how much is it" routine. Now, if that person decided to get grabby or demanding, then it's time to get Medieval. ;)

11. Her common sense as a mother was definitely off. Her child is most probably going to end up very spoiled, if her mother always gets her daughter what she wants. /off topic

I don't think I would have been able to handle that particular situation as well as you did. :sweatI hope she didn't pester you afterwards.

12. Closest I came was at Acen 20909 when a girl asked where I got my boy. When I told her he came from Korea she said, oh I thought you got him here. How much did he costs. When I told her she said, Oh I thought maybe $50. :o Even those action figures that are close to his size cost more then that. What made her think he was less. Glad I don't take him to places like that anymore.

13. Once we had a meet at our local aquarium. One of the girls had several dolls which she was using a wagon to carry. An older woman came up to me, since I was holding my doll, and asked if we were selling them. I simply told her no, we were all together and just meeting at the aquarium. It was a bit odd though...why would we just tote a wagon load of dolls around to sell (especially since there were at least five of us at the meet)?

Thankfully I've never had any issues like some people seem to have experienced! It's a bit shocking!

14. I'm not an extremely aggressive person... but ... It would have taken a lot for me not to claw her eyes out. How very rude.

15. You guys have some scary stories. I am very frightened to bring my girls out. I usually take them out in a large bag and I don't take them out until I get to the place I was going to. And I usually only bring them out one at a time (or two tinies). At the next meet, I think I will only bring one girl out since I will only have to worry about watching one doll then.

@lady ravenswood: I would be very scared for that person that brought a wagonload of dolls out.

16. My cousin didn't ask me directly but it was clear that she wanted me to give her my doll. She went into my room when i was 'playing' (taking pictures etc) with my dolls and she literally fell in love with my SDF Howl. She didn't ask me where to buy or where they're from, she only said very nice things about him, started touching him all over (I was changing him into another outfit) and looked at me with puppy eyes like saying "can I have him?". I tried to evade her looks and I just smiled at everything she was saying.

She loves mannequins, she even takes pictures of them from the shopping stores. I know that a BJD would be wonderful for her, but I also know that she wouldn't spend more than $100 for them because she's one of those people who likes to receive but not to give.

17. At my first/only public meet (it was at a cafe, and we usually have them at houses) we were approached by multiple people asking about our dolls ^^ I remember this one lady was really interested so we wrote down some sites and the DOA url for her before she left.

I'm protective about my stuff, possibly because I'm super paranoid, but as long as someone's calm and is sincerely interested (and doesn't demand it/ask to buy it *_*) I'd have no problem telling them about the hobby or *possibly* let them hold someone from my crew.

If someone actually grabbed/tried to grab one of my dolls I'd flip out, and probably end up hurting them mentally and physically. I hate it when people just assume they can touch, let alone GRAB, other peoples' stuff without permission.

18. I think i will be very very angry if someone, without asking, and withouth care grabbed my dolls from my hands. Thats just rude, but it happens, and i notice it happens more with naughty kids. Even my own daughter is protective of the dolls. She pats them, kisses them goodnite, tucks them in bed. And i have noticed that when other kids are around and try touching them she squeals : no, bebe ma (which translates to: no, they are my babies!, she is only 20 months old :)

19. I don't know about "geekdom" and austim but my younger brother is autistic. I'd be really glad if people could show some understanding to enthusiasm like his when we go to anime cons. He adores Gundam models and goes crazy over them. Granted, most years he just gets into really cheery conversations with store owners (one guy actually told me I was lucky to have a Gundam-enthusiast brother). My brother's a pretty mellow guy by nature but he looks pretty intimidating sometimes because he's really tall for his age and our ethnicity. I have to remind him sometimes to calm his enthusiasm too.

20. I've been asked about selling my two girls once or twice by a few mothers who've seen them about the house when picking up their kids, usually when I'm working on bits of clothing. I've always politely declined however and told them where they can obtain similar dolls (they -always- cringe visibly at the price when I do tell them how much these things cost). Most of the time they realise that maybe BJDs aren't really for their hyperactive six to eight year olds and that they should just stick to barbie.

I did have one brush with a very rude lady back in the UK though, who was thouroughly appauled that I wouldn't accept any price for my Serendipity Sharmin. Even though I attempted to tell her where she could buy one of her own and that I was not looking to sell mine, she still insisted on telling me that I had something wrong with my mental stability. Turned an enjoyable photoshoot into something of a grumblefest.

I cant believe some of what I'm reading here though. Some people can just be downright rude, devoid of common sense or not...