1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Will you sell your doll to me?

Jan 25, 2010

1. I don't take my dolls out in public, but if someone offered to buy my doll? Sure. You pay me two or three times their original price, I'll pass it over in a heartbeat. My dolls aren't sentimental to me, even after investing time and energy into them; they are investments and if I can make a profit by selling them to some rich stranger, no problem. There are always more dolls, I could buy a replacement.

I do have to wonder though.. for all the information regarding buying these dolls being given to spoiled strangers, when do those annoying people show up here? The English BJD fandom kind of funnels into DoA eventually. I also think making cards with information on these dolls to be kept on hand during meets and such is a good idea.

2. Hmmm...sometimes it happens. Especially at Animecon where people for some strange reason think that if you have it ('it' can be anything from a doll to a bar of chocolate with an anime face on it) then you want to sell it.

Our very first dolly 'meet' was at a con. There were we, two shy girls with dolls in their arms...and people kept coming up and asking if they were for sale. Seriously - if we had wanted to sell them we would have got a booth! Con-goers can be dense sometimes...

At a later Con+meet it was easier to mistake the dolls as sellable objects though. We had a table then for our meet and all the pretty dolls sat on it while we were playing/chatting/photographing etc. Naturally half of the people coming to the table to take a look thought that we were just another sales booth and we had to fend off numerous offers. Some only sighed that they have already spent all their money...we kindly informed them that there's no way they even brought enough money for a doll like these in the first place :lol: Though people were generally complacent...once they were told no, they went away :D

3. I've had this happen quite a few times. I usually just say no and direct them to here or a website. I had one guy try to mug me after a lolita meet in Toronto. So I MSC'd him.
      I was somewhat expecting it after his/ his friend's failed attempts to distract me and him talking to me about custom doll repaints...

4. At this point, my only girl is so new that I would have to kick someone in the 'nads and run for the hills if they tried to buy her off of me or take her out of my arms. Give me another couple of months, and if someone tries it, I'll ask them if they have $500 cash and 3 months to refund me for the pained waiting I did. If they don't have 3 months to give me, my time is money, so I'll settle for the $6600 that three months of my time is worth, add $500, and settle for $7100 cash. Otherwise, I'd be happy to write down the DZ and DDE websites for them and send them on their way.

5. Oh my gosh! Really?
      Did you just MSC him in the face and run?

6. People on the whole especially in the western culture have very little respect for material things its like the old saying goes "if it don't work force it, if it breaks it needed fixing anyhow." People don't seem to consider the value of things be it sentimental monetary or other.

In the western culture it seems you can always replace it with cheaper, faster, better. The western world consumes 2/3s of the resources and in a few years obsolete things even if they still work or not end up in a landfill. Thats how people view these things "its just another doll... you payed way to much for that.... I can get a Barbie down at Wal Mart for 10 dollars"

*facepalms* I have seen the enemy... and they are idiots

7. I've never had anyone ask me that. But if someone did, I would sell them for a $200 mark-up fee of what I paid. :sweat I guess I don't have the same sentimentality/emotional ties to my dolls as most people here.

8. It happens to me almost every time I go to meets, actually. :sweat

The first time, an elderly woman approached me and asked me how much one of my dolls was, and I had to explain that they weren't for sale. I normally lie about the price to people who ask anyways, I typically say something like "oh, about a hundred dollars or so"... even though my girls cost upwards of $500 each. *_* I do it for two reasons, one is to avoid the outraged/flabbergasted reaction I know someone who isn't familiar with the hobby would have, and the other is more of my own precaution so nobody who overhears me get the urge to nab one of my dolls if I'm not looking (since they're worth so much money).

Another time, I was at a meetup in front of a French pastry shop/cafe on a shopping strip and a security guard for the strip came up to talk to us, he told us we couldn't just sell stuff on the street without permits and asked us if the owner of the cafe was okay with it. We had to explain to him that we weren't selling the dolls, we were just hanging out. I don't think he understood why we were doing it but he believed us when we said we weren't selling them. He still went into the cafe to check with the owner though!

My meet friends and I started joking around about it now, like maybe we should bring a sign to all our meets that states our dolls are not for sale. :sweat

9. Can't say I've ever been asked in person. Not that I would ever tell a person their price if I did either. That's just sort of asking to get mugged heh. :/ Would just say, "yeah not for sale."

10. No one has asked me to buy my dolls, but i do have some people i know that wants to get some themselves so i tell them a few sites and to come here :)

i tell them about them in general if others ask about them.. but i would never sell one of my boys or girls unless i decided to already. i would tell them i could help them out, but i wouldnt sell them mine.

11. :lol: that was great

12. Thank you I do try

13. Yeah I msced him right in the face. I was able to drop 2 dolls open my bag and rip open a fresh can before the guy knew what was happening. His friend smart and didn't dare move after that. I just kinda walked/skipped away.

I might be in frills but you come at me and it's going to hurt >o I seem to attract these nut jobs so I'm pretty quick >o

14. You go girl! :thumbup

15. I've never had a will you sell your doll to me.. But today someone on Deviant Art said if I ever wanted to sell my doll she'd buy her instantly... Was a weird comment and I guess a compliment?
      If someone ever asked to buy my dolls outright I'd get a little annoyed at them :x

16. After having caught up with the last several pages of this thread, I do have to say that if someone were persistent in wanting to buy my dolls, I'd do a bit of math to add up how much it would cost me to replace it, including shipping fees, and tack on an extra 150 dollars or so (50 for the face-up and 100 just for my trouble).... +50 for every minute they were annoying/rude before that.

I'm highly unlikely to purchase a limited edition doll (maybe if Soom comes out with another birdie tiny doll), so I wouldn't mind so much selling them on if it were worth my trouble to do so.

I'm attached to the characters I want to create as dolls. The doll itself is only a vessel for the character. As long as the vessel itself is replaceable, it wouldn't make me sad. ;)

17. That is the single funniest thing I have ever read on here!:lol:

18. Woot!:cheer Who needs pepper spray, huh?

19. a dog trade for a doll? thats horrible to me! but still, i was asked a few times when i bring my dolls in street ;) but no one offered me a trade so far LOL

20. Smart thinking, HPIce. Well done.

As for the dog trade offer, I feel extremely sorry for the dog. The person obviously got the poor thing as a fashion accessory, and doesn't care about it as a living thing.