1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Wiping a Limited Face Up

Jan 19, 2010

1. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      It doesn't really bother me; in fact, some of the dolls I'm wanting (if I were to buy them second-head) I'd want without face-ups.
      /edit: There are only a couple dolls I own that I'd have issues with removing their face-ups, mainly iiru/

Do you feel that the value of the doll drops because it doesn't have the original face up?
      In money-wise terms, the value is obviously going to be less for a doll without a face/with a bad one, but a good custom face-up can be the same value as (or higher than) the default easily.

Also, would you buy a limited doll without the original face up, or is the actual limited head more important?
      I'd probably *prefer* it actually. Especially if the person selling is a face-up artist I like and I'd be able to get the custom work done (for extra cost, of course, but yeah).

2. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      It's their doll right? if I find the particular face-up very beautifull I can pity it but at the end it's about if they are happy with the doll.

Do you feel that the value of the doll drops because it doesn't have the original face up?

Depends a bit of the limited and the face-up I geuss, some dolls arent very limited in qauntity.

Also, would you buy a limited doll without the orginal face up, or is the actual limited head more important?
      Yes probaly, I've wiped the limited face-up from my Tan Lati Lea myself becous in the end I couldnt bond with her to the max becous I need to do my own face-ups on my dolls.

3. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      I have done this myself, and will do it again, I'm sure. There are only two faceups in my lot that I consider "sacred" - which means I won't take them off until they absolutely need to be replaced (one is my LE Abadon, because I got him specifically for that faceup; the other is my FCS MSD, because I asked for that faceup to be done to my specifications and I looooooove it ^_^; )

One-Offs is a tougher issue for me. My grail doll is Williams, who can be got if you're super-duper lucky as a One-Off, and I would be very hesitant to wipe a One-Offs face even though I would most likely be aiming for the sculpt, not the faceup. They are, after all, one-of-a-kind.

Do you feel that the value of the doll drops because it doesn't have the orginal face up?
      That doesn't often seem to be the case. Sculpts are what usually make a doll limited to begin with; sculpts are what I go for over faceups.

Also, would you buy a limited doll without the orginal face up, or is the actual limited head more important?
      Absolutely I would buy one without the default faceup, especially as I probably would have wiped it to make the doll into my character anyways!

4. thanks for your interesting comments. Taking into account what you've said, I'd have to say that personally, I still wouldn't alter my doll. If I want a particular look for a doll and as you've suggested the second doll head is a super limited sculpt, then I'd either abandon the idea or maybe explore the idea with a basic doll in another sculpt that I like. Although this hasn't happened yet. I think of my dolls as personalities rather than characters so I have a firm idea of who they are before they arrive. If and when I tire of a doll for whatever reason, I resell it.

5. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      I did it once (Souldoll Lee Jun Ki). I couldn't wait to do it since most owners of the sculpt would keep it default. Never mind the face-up didn't suit my character, I wanted my doll to be unique... and was so curious to see how he looks with different face-up :) I was going to do the same with be Ryoya Konoe but I've sold him sooner... I like my dolls unique + default face-ups rarely fit my characters.

Do you feel that the value of the doll drops because it doesn't have the orginal face up?
      No. Not for me since I would - most likely - change the face-up anyway. Actually, I would rather get a clean head ^^; On the other hand I know that it does for some people. I do see some "WTB X-DOLL with default face-up" threads in the MarketPlace.

In most cases I would, no problem. Although I suspect that someday, for some reason, I might want a doll with its default face-up. Most likely because it's a very rare limited doll.

6. I have limited faced up from Eluts and i have just wipe it off.
      I think the most important thing is what you like. I do not acctually like my
      doll face up + the face up was chip so i just clean it. I plan not to sell this doll for the rest of my life, so i don't care that it is limited or not.

How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?

It's does not matter. As long as the owner want to do or the doll need new face up(In case that old face up chip).It good to do so.

Some of doll may be yes, but i t would be nicer to have a doll that have the face up that you like to stay with you. Something that money can't buy like bond between doll and owner is more important.

I think limited head is more important, and i definately but the doll head i like with out limited faceup

7. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      In the case of a normal head with a limitied face-up, I would merely ask why you bought the limited face up in the first place if you were just going to remove it. but hey, it's your money.

But if it's a limited head with a face up you don't like, I would say you are merely exchanging one limited face-up for another. After all, no two hand made face-ups are exactly alike.

That's subjective. If the individual feels that the unique face-up detracts from the overall beauty of the doll, then yes it does drop the value. On the other hand, if they feel the custom face-up is much more flattering than the original then it actually adds something to the value. It's really about personal taste.

I've considered it a few times where I've found the face-up particularly unflattering but I love the limited head. I've seen some simply GORGEOUS face-ups done by DoA users. I would seriously consider commissioning someone to get a unique face-up on a limited head that I liked.

Of course, all of this is from someone who would get her dolls to treat them like small resin children and not collectibles.

8. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      It's entirely up to you, your doll, your choice. Some LE face ups are quite limiting and only go with their default outfits/accessories, so if you want to do something original with the doll you'd have to wipe it anyway.

It depends on the doll, but I don't think the value drops very much if you keep the doll itself in good condition. There are Beryls and Sards that have sold very well despite having no original face up or a terrible face up, people want the sculpt first and foremost and a very skilled face up artist could give these dolls a new face up in the style of the limited edition one, whilst at the same time being completely fresh and new.

I would definitely buy a limited doll without the limited face up as long as all the other LE parts were included. I'd even buy a limited head without the limited face up as long as the head was in perfect, clean condition. For me it is about the doll rather than the face up.

People forget that over time face ups get dull and dusty and the resin underneath changes colour. To freshen up your doll, you're going to have to remove the face up and replace it anyway. I will be sad when I have to have my SDC Kurt wiped (only doll with an LE face up), and hopefully that is a long way off, but I always want him looking beautiful and a fresh, clean, new face up will be better than a grubby original face up.

9. How I would feel: Its their doll they can do what they want but I would never do it myself.
      Value drop? Yes, I do think that drops the value. I think if you really want to do your own face, trade the faceup'd head for a blank head+money.
      Would you buy with/without limited face: I would buy either way. I have bought either way. My Cuprit is Default, my Glati is not.

10. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      Personally I feel it's their doll so thusly it would be their choice. I wouldn't look down on somebody who did it. As for me personally I would cringe and want to keep the original limited face up because to me they are usually pretty.

It would depend on the general care that was taken of the doll I think. I've often seen several limited sell even without the default face up so I don't really think that's a big factor.

I'd buy the doll no problem as long as I wasn't charged for the limited face up if that makes any sense. It's really about the doll more than the makeup as that can always be changed.

11. By the way, as an example here is an original LE Nono faceup: http://www.angelden.net/volks/sd10/images/nono-otona04.jpg

would someone really want to keep this and pay MORE for it than a custom faceup? it looks like the eyebrows have been drawn on with a marker. Plus it's from 2000 so the faceup would be 10 years old now :horror: now i don't want to offend anyone who has this Nono and loves it's original faceup (i do think the wig and outfit are awesome), but personally i would FAR prefer a new, fresh faceup. With better eyebrows :horror:.

12. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      It's up to them, if they decide to change the face up, its their doll so they can do as they like.

It depends on whether the sculpt was standard and the face up alone was limited, then I would think so.

The actual limited head is more important, if the face up doesn't seem to suit the mould and a new face up looks better to me, then I would happily buy it.

13. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      i definitely would, myself.
      the dolls are meant to be YOUR characters. not the creator's characters, unless you like it that way.

no. usually if a doll is limited, it's not just over the faceup. the cyber bohemian chiwoo, for instance.. his wig was part of the limited thing. other times it's the skintone.

the limited head itself. i couldn't give two hoo-has about scarface cecile's default faceup. i love him anyway, and want him so bad.

14. It really depends on my personal preference. My first two dolls were blank, and I did their face-ups myself, because though I loved their sculpts I was not fond of the company face-ups. However, my latest three dolls all have company face-ups. What made me fall in love with CrobiDoll's Yeon-Ho was not just his sculpt, but the beautiful company face-up that gave him a certain look that I was drawn to. I couldn't imagine removing it, and it's not something I ever plan on doing. The same for my Lina and Heather. I love the face-ups they came with and I can't imagine removing such beautiful work. Besides, their face-ups, to me, give them character.

Really, it is all up to the buyer. It's your money, and if you want to remove a face-up, wether it be limited or not, it's up to you.

15. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      As others have said, it's their doll so they can do what they want to. Personally, I don't think I could wipe a limited faceup, especially if the doll is also available as a standard - I would just get said standard/basic version if the limited faceup didn't work for me. I do have a few limited sculpts that I bought blank, but if the only option for a limited was a fullset and I couldn't choose to get it blank I would probably pass on the doll instead of wiping the faceup I'd had to pay for, depending on how much I liked the sculpt.

For fullsets like Delf Arts, I do think the value would drop without the original faceup - it's what differentiates them from other versions of the sculpt.

I have a Senior Delf Dion with a custom faceup (he's second release and the second edition faceup wasn't at all right for the character I had in mind), so... yes, yes I would. I think the limited head is more important.

16. I concur. No matter how well-made a face-up is, it's not meant to stay forever, even if the doll is kept in a box. Given the choice between a LE doll with a faded original faceup, and another one with a faceup freshly re-done by a talented artist, I would not hesitate for long.

17. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      As some have said, it's their doll, their money, it's up to them what they will do w/ what they have. But honestly, for me, it pains my heart a bit when shinku or other volks rms to have a different face-up coz i'm kinda a fan of RM. I guess it's okay for me for that to happen to other LEs. I'm gonna actually remove Miyoubi's face-up someday, no matter how cute it is, coz it doesn't look like the character that I have given her.

I don't think so, sorry if it sounds rude but it's just paint, if you know someone good at it they can copy it although not 100%. But even the same doll w/ the same face-up are different.

Of course, if it is meant to save more money unless that it's a Volks RM. ^^;

18. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      Their doll, their choice. Plus I've seen many dolls, especially Volks, that look a heck of a lot better with redone faceups :)

Only if it's badly done....but then again it can always be wiped and a new one put on, so probably not. That's the fun of this hobby.

I buy what I love, and unless the face up is a must have, I wouldn't be deterred from buying a blank head and having a face up commissioned.

19. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?

Some of my favourite dolls have been limiteds with new face-ups. I am all for it if the outcome is nice. :)

At the same time, I want to give my Volks Suiseiseki, who still has her default, a new face-up but have been so hesitant about it because I do worry that it will decrease her value. Then again, she is over two and a half years old, and doing a new face-up on her would really make me bond with her a whole lot more, and she would look more like I want her to look.

I would buy a limited doll without the original face-up. It would certainly make my current woes a little easier!

20. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      It bothers me a bit but at the same time its not my doll. If the face up is damaged... say the msc chips or an accident happens and the face needs to be wiped than its fine with me.

Somewhat since most of the face ups are unique but some look very common... I think the value would really decrease if it was modded.

I would buy it at a very reasonable price. Default faces are nice and hard to come by. But blank ones give you a chance to make a new unique doll.