1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Wiping a Limited Face Up

Jan 19, 2010

1. Simple answer - it's my doll and I will do as I please with it. End of.

Now if you happen to know of a face-up artist who is getting quite a reputation and you have a limited edition sculpt then I would recommend paying that person to do a one off face-up because that would seriously increase the value of the doll... :D

Phil.

2. I personally wouldn't care tuppence. I'd probably get it blank if I could- I prefer to paint my dolls myself, it's part of my bonding process- I honestly wouldn't be able to love that doll as much if he or she didn't look EXACTLY the way I imagine...

3. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      I have mixed feelings. On one hand it's not my doll and I've no say in what others do, but if the face-up is also by a well-known and/or talented artist, then I cringe thinking of the time, effort and money spent to procure that artist's face-up in the first place.

Do you feel that the value of the doll drops because it doesn't have the original face up?
      It depends. Speaking of Volks here, I think one-off releases with one-off face-ups will lose value if the face is wiped, compared to Dolpa release LEs. Given that face-up artists do build up formidable reputations, it really depends on who the face-up artist is, and what the particular release is.

Also, would you buy a limited doll without the original face up, or is the actual limited head more important?
      I would prefer to get the head alone since I often have a very strong vision of what the doll would look like. But if the limited face-up works, by all means I'd get it.

That said, I'm actually struggling with this issue right now. I have a LE head that has -- not a default face-up, but an absolutely stunning face by a well-known artist, whose face-ups are both costly and not easy to obtain, and I'm sure the previous owner went through great pains to get it done. I like the face, but it simply doesn't suit the character I had in mind for the doll. While I'll try to work with the face-up to make my char, I'm also debating whether to wipe it, or make a WTT on the MP in hopes of trading the head to a good home...

4. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      While I think that everyone should do what they have to in order to bond with their doll I think it is nice when I see people posting trades (you know 'my faceup for your blank') just to give people who value that faceup an opportunity to obtain it. I am considering getting my amber repainted but I will be posting a trade when I do incase someone ordered her blank and is interested in getting the default faceup. :)

Do you feel that the value of the doll drops because it doesn't have the original face up?
      I think that depends upon the faceup it is given. Some faceups give more life to the mold than the default did and can be more desirable, some do not. If the new faceup makes the doll more desirable then certainly the value of the doll will go up, if not then it will ultimately go down, same as with any faceup.

Also, would you buy a limited doll without the orginal face up, or is the actual limited head more important?
      For me it is always the mold which is most important. If it has a faceup I like I do not care if it is original or not. :sweat

5. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      I don't care if the face up they replace it with is nice. I'm all for doing what you want with your dolls but for me...I wouldn't wipe a limited doll's face up and replace it with my first attempts at a face up. To me limited dolls =/= a good "first mod/faceup!" canvas. In the end my opinion won't matter to a person if they really want to mod or do their own first face up on their limited doll I personally just wouldn't do it : /

Depends. If there's nothing else limited about the doll then yeah. I mean, I could wipe my WS Soulkid Mayu's limited face up off but she's still WS which isn't sold normally. But like OP said, if you wipe a cyber bohemian shiwoo's face he's just a shiwoo. If I'm buying a doll I want it to look pretty and if I am not a fan of the face up and the owner doesn't offer to wipe it before selling I dunno, I feel less inclined towards purchasing that doll. Sure, it doesn't take much to wipe the face but it's still more money/time I'd have to invest in it to get the doll the way I want it as opposed to the doll coming with a face up I like.

Also, would you buy a limited doll without the original face up, or is the actual limited head more important?
      It depends on the doll. A lot of the Volks limiteds or Soom MDs yeah I would. But I mean...I still wouldn't buy a Volks Okita Souji without the full package(face up, clothes, etc) because I LIKE the original look of him and even though the repaints I've seen of him are great I like the original better ^^;

6. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      I don't like the idea of wiping it to use the head as practice or something, but to replace it with something that you feel suits the doll's character better seems perfectly fair to me. If it were a one-off then that would be quite a step to take, but in the end the doll is the responsibility of the person owning them.

Do you feel that the value of the doll drops because it doesn't have the orginal face up?
      If the new face-up is good enough, or the original not especially interesting or popular then the value would probably increase. It's more of a case-by-case thing, and it's not guaranteed to lower the value.

Also, would you buy a limited doll without the orginal face up, or is the actual limited head more important?
      Sure, the sculpt is the most important part.

7. I think that are a personal decission, and i agree if you don't like the face, wiping and made a new make up!!
      But, you never wippinga face up if you haven't sure of that..The most recomendable (if the option exist) is dont ship the face up!!

8. How do you feel about people wiping the face-up of a limited doll?
      It really depends on the face-up, doll, and what the owner has in mind. I may mourn for the factory face-up, such as with many Soom MD's as they can be quite beautiful, but it's really up to the owner. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.

Do you feel that the value of the doll drops because it doesn't have the original face-up?
      Maybe in a strictly monetary sense, yes the value would indeed drop. It would be considered a type of modding, and that always drops the monetary price. For me myself, it doesn't drop the doll's general value any less. If I want a particular doll, or doll head, it doesn't matter to me what face-up they have.

Also, would you buy a limited doll without the original face-up, or is the actual limited head more important?
      I have a limited doll with his original face-up that I wouldn't want to wipe for the world. To me, it suits his personality so well, and I know I couldn't reproduce it to my satisfaction. It's going to break my heart when I eventually have to wipe it to redo it (minor damage build up) and I can only hope that I will be good enough to reproduce it. But I also have a limited with a face-up I've given him. I feel that it suits him more than the factory one, and I feel far more comfortable in wiping and modding it to suit my needs.

9. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      I think that if someone really wants to, and knows for sure that they're not going to try and resell it, it's up to them. I personally find some of the original faceups really nice, but I enjoy the majority of the dolls I own/see to be unique. Seeing the same four dolls with the same default faceup, but with different described personalities would be a little disturbing.

Do you feel that the value of the doll drops because it doesn't have the orginal face up?
      If that's what someone else is looking for, sure, but some dolls are more valuable if they have different and unique faceups.
      Personally, I'd think the head is more important. Any sculpt is definitely more important because it cannot be reproduced, a talented, or decent artist could probably do a similar faceup, though it would be a copy, either way, the faceup is least important.

10. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      There is nothing wrong with that person wants a doll with a unique faceup.
      About a limited doll - if you have money, why not ;)

11. its ok~doesnt matter.
      I like the face so I want to buy it. and u can give it a face up if u like. some famous cosmetician's face-up worth a lot too.

12. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?

Personally I don't really care since those people put the money down for the doll they have the right to change it. But what does annoy me is when people have WTB's for limited heads but state their going to wipe the face-up so they don't feel the face-up cost should be included in the head's price.

This is a little off topic as well but it's kind of on the same wave length. There are quite a few heads that pop up in the marketplace, ebay, Y!J, etc with custom face-ups by artists that are hard to book slots with (especially for foreign customers). People buy these heads only to wipe off the face-up that someone else would have kept and adored. I know if they wanted the head that much bid or offer a higher amount but sometimes it's the first come first serve approach. Again I don't really care but it is frustrating since most face-ups are one of a kind so it's unlikely to see it again or to ever get a chance to own a head face-upped by so and so artist.

Not really. I do feel that face-up less heads aren't always worth as much sometimes.

The limited doll is more important at least for me. Face-ups can be done in a similar style to the original if the face-up means that much.

13. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?

It's their doll and they can do as they please.

Not necessarily. Sometimes with a very good face-up the value may just as well increase. However, if you try to sell a LE doll, you usually get better prices if you're able to sell it as full-set including everything the doll came with and also its default face-up.

As I prefer my dolls all to have their own unique face-up, I'm more interested in the LE heads without face-up. So the actual head is more important for me.

14. It depends...

If I was buying a head because I wanted the sculpt, then it wouldn't matter to me if it was a limited faceup that had been wiped, or never had it at all (unless the price was different...), but if I was interested in the faceup, then of course I would care. But there's only ever been one case of me being all about the faceup rather than the sculpt itself.

=^__^=
      Anneko

15. I wiped a limited faceup. I didn't like it much and I wanted to play with her myself - faceups are part of what makes the hobby fun. Yes, her resale value dropped, but I didn't but her as a financial investment.

There are no "rules" as to what you do with a doll.

16. Paint on these dolls is ephemeral, period. That's how I've come to see it... for better or worse! XD

Yeah, sometimes I feel guilty wiping a limited, or someone else's work, but I see in my mind a sort of circle of heads passed from owner to owner; I'm wiping someone's work this time, someone's wiping mine on down the line. Lol the great cycle of resin life ^_~

Raven

17. I remember there was an owner who had to redo the faceup on a Volks limited because it was getting worn out. She was very reluctant to wipe a limited faceup, but when she applied the new one, the doll was even more beautiful than before. (I don't think I'm the only one who thought this).

But then again, Volks limiteds are more limited for their sculpts, and not faceups. If a doll was only limited because of the faceup, then removing it would make the doll only as valuable (on the market) as the regular edition.

edit: (Just thought of something) If an owner wanted to remove the faceup on a doll with a limited faceup, but otherwise available as a regular edition, he/she could sell the doll and buy a regular edition. This might be a good financial decision, and another owner can enjoy the limited face up. But if an owner does want to keep the limited doll and remove the face up for bonding reasons, I can understand. That would be a personal decision, and I think it should be respected.

18. I agree that if it's your head, it's completely fine whatever you would like to do with it. If you don't like the limited face up, it's perfectly fine to get one you like.

Personally, I would say that I think sometimes a doll does drop in value if the original face up is removed and a lesser quality face up is applied. If it's a professional face up artist who has done a spectacular job, of course it would not detract from the original doll.

I actually chose not to buy a limited doll that I originally liked a lot, simply because it had a blank head. Having just started in the hobby, I pay more attention to the face up and how it looks with the head sculpt than on the head sculpt alone. When looking at a blank head, I still can't tell what would look good on it or how I would like the face up to look. So I choose to see how the company does their face up and that determines if I like the doll or not. But for someone who is more knowledgeable, I think they would easily be able to appreciate a blank head.

19. Right now I have a Volks Reisner head with the default face-up from his edition. I'm not sure if that counts as a limited face-up, but I have trouble wiping it. I want this head to have a specific face-up and what keeps me from wipin the face-up is that the original face-up is still in pristine condition. How many Volks Reisners still have their default face-ups?

How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      Other people can do what they like. If it's a very special face-up, I may feel a bit sad to see something nice go, but maybe an even nicer face-up will return and it's still just a face-up. It's not like you need to kick puppies in order to remove a face-up.
      If I bought the doll for the face-up, I wouldn't be that keen on wiping it, but in case of the Reisner head I didn't buy the head for the face-up. I want to wipe the face-up, but it looks so nice and I feel sad about removing it.

I don't like to pay for something I don't want, and I don't want to pay for something that is no longer there. If it's the face-up that makes a doll special, but it got wiped, it feels fair to have the value drop. If it's the mold that makes the doll special, the face-up shouldn't matter that much.
      I don't want to sell my Reisner head and I don't think about resell value. I don't know how wiping his face-up will reflect in his market value, but I don't think it will matter that much als it's a limited head mold.

Usually I buy dolls for the mold anyway and prefer to have them blank to avoid the issues I'm having with the Reisner head right now. If it has a face-up I like, it's a bonus, but most dolls I buy for what they can become and not for what they are right now.

20. This is an interesting topic because i've been thinking of getting my Bambi's face re-done. However, she's an original issue tan roko elf with her original face-up by the old well known Bambi face-up artist who doesn't work anymore (I knew none of this when i bought her, but a few people gushed over her at a doll meet)

And whilst she may not have been limited when she was released (though i don't know, i got her from the market place) she is in that field of almost being rare, or special, and i think the face up, in the condition it is, with her original eye lashes still attatched, definately adds to her value.

However, she isn't really what i want anymore, i love the doll, but find her face-up a bit boring. I don't think her value would decrease much, if at all, with a new face-up. Except maybe within certain bambi collectors eyes, who strive for face-ups by that person or something (Like i said, don't know that much about it, only what's been told to me by people at meets) but with most i'd say if the face-up was the main selling point of the doll then maybe it would lower the resale value slightly, but it's ultimately your doll. There is no point in having a face-up you're not happy with just for the sake of the price if you ever want to sell them. Plus, a good face-up is better then a damaged special one IMO anyways.

but it probably all depends on who's looking to buy the doll, who does the knew face-up and what the main selling point of the original doll was.