1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

WITHdoll Mini Discussion Part 8

Apr 8, 2016

1. @Musume - Thanks for adding that clarification.:) I had forgotten about the older heads being a bit larger.

2. I have a question for anyone with the Real UV skin color--
      I love the look of it, but I'm a bit worried about its transparency. I would like to have the ability to mod or fix parts of the doll if I feel the need to, and I'm worried that using epoxy on any part of this particular resin would show even if it's color matched due to the new material being much darker. For example, if you had to fix a finger and Apoxie had to be used as glue/a crack filler, would it be obvious when light shows through? I can't say I have any current plans to mod these dolls and certainly not to cause any damage to them, but I like the safety of being able to if needed.
      Also, does it seem to be any weaker/stronger than normal resin? Are sanding marks more noticeable, can you sand seams? I haven't dealt with any kind of environmental resin before. The only things I can see from photos is the transparency and that it seems to be a bit more matte looking (which would be great).

#262 Allavii, Nov 30, 2016
      Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    3. Yes, if you made additions or added anything, it would be quite obvious against the light in the thin parts (fingers, toes, joint edges). But if you don't have a strong backlight or are not planning on photographing the doll against the light, I don't think it would be a big problem. I mean, even if you have a normal urethane doll that you fix a finger of, it will usually show in some way. Besides, if you broke a part, I'm sure you could get a new one from Withdoll.

In my opinion, the UV tones are more shiny than urethane in it's normal form. Well, sometimes you get an urethane batch that is shinier than normal, and if you keep handling it without gloves, the oils from your hands will transfer to it and it'll start shining (I fix this with a wash and light coating). But I find that the UVs have a slight satin sheen naturally, white urethane is more matt at its best. Actually, the darker the UV, the shinier it seems to be (but could also depend on the resin batch). It also feels smoother under the fingertips. I also don't think there's a problem with sanding the seams because the colour goes through the resin, but I would check before doing any larger sand jobs. It will most likely lighten a little if you sand it, like most resins. Just like sanding tan urethanes is not recommended, I wouldn't be sanding tan UVs either. Withdolls don't have very large seams to begin with, so it shouldn't pose a huge problem anyway. As for durability, I don't have any experience with that as I don't have a whole doll in the resin type, so I can't help with that.

4. Thank you for your detailed reply, that really helped a lot. Another thing if I may ask, though this one isn't as specific so hopefully it's easier to answer. How is the posing of the (revised) boy body? I thought I had found a post in the Withdoll discussions but I can't find it for the life of me. I have seen a few posing photoshoots, including the absolutely wonderful one by Mizya, but I know there's a lot that just can't be captured in pictures alone. The body definitely seems to be above average at least, particularly in the hips, but are there any other quirks, good or bad, worth mentioning? The basic setup can obviously be seen in pics, but are there any issues with jumping limbs? Joints that catch? Any other engineering issues? Can they stand/hold a pose reliably?
      I apologize for the long questions but I'm picky as heck and I like to know what I'm getting into. I've loved withdoll for years and quite a bit has changed since I've looked at them so closely.

#264 Allavii, Dec 1, 2016
      Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    5. You're welcome. ^^
      Mizya's posing review is very good and shows what the body can really do as well as the limitations. I find that body to be one of the best posing bodies I have -that said, I don't have loongsoul etc. that are praised for their posing abilities. I mean, it could be better, but I've yet to see a body from any company that would hit all the marks of a great posing body: there's always an issue with something. The only things I personally don't like are the chest joint (it's too high to allow for natural sitting and posing -also the stopper needs to be removed if you want to use it more freely) and the fact that the legs are strung together. The moving hip joints make up for a lot of limitations on the leg stringing, but he still suffers from the same problems as all other dolls with such stringing: the legs want to close together and there's very little friction in the thigh joint so the legs are easily a little loose. He does stand very reliably and hold poses quite well but he definitely needs thicker string than the ones he comes with. His arms are... well you can see from reviews: they're okay. He's definitely no body builder and won't be holding anything heavy with those arms. All in all, he's so "highly engineered" that there's definitely no issues with joints popping out or anything like that. I find him to be very smooth to pose and stable at the poses he can get into. I'd say the body is more than worth it's price..

If you're like me, and look for a naturally posing body (not a gymnist), I'm sure you'll like the body.

This is an older photo, but I think it shows very well what this body can do (easily and with clothes on):
      [​IMG]
      ^ that might not look amazing, but there's absolutely no way you could ever achieve a pose like that with pants on, on a regular legs strung together body. They usually have the extra thigh joint for bringing the leg up that just never work with clothes on. Plus they refuse to spread their legs. Regularly strung legs often have a problem getting above the 90 degree angle too, and usually need to be popped out of the joint, so the thigh joints are excellent here. I don't understand why other companies don't use those. My only issue with the pose is that from the side he has a bit of a hunchback (though that is strategically hidden by his vest) and his knees are quite blocky under the pants. But you can see those issues in Mizya's review too.

6. @Wheatear Your Ruby is gorgeous! Love her custom, to be honest!

7. Derp, my Elf Knight Egon arrived already and I totally haven't gotten him clothes or shoes or eyes or anything and haven't owned an MSD in years so I don't even have anything spare lying around. >_>; (It's hard to pick stuff OK you get it and then the doll arrives and he's like nope I hate all of this get me something else.) He's gorgeous though, and I'm glad I picked the rose white resin because it's beautiful. *_*

8. Priscilla and Ruby want to show off their new DollBakery Jelly eyes. Priscilla has Indigo Jelly and Ruby has Irish Jelly. I knew they would work because Egon is already wearing DB's Wisteria Jelly. Never thought I'd like eyes without pupils, but I love these! I think they solve the problem of Priscilla looking like a deer in the headlights in other eyes.
      [​IMG]

Congrats on receiving your Egon, @Ian-KunX. Would love to see photos once you get him put together. I don't think I've seen a doll in rose white yet.

9. @Ian-KunX congrats on the arrival!!
      I'm sure you will find him clothes soon :D The rose white skin ir gorgeous!

@vermont hcick love those eyes on them! Priscilla looks so different!

Here is my Coco, she is a Rachel:

[​IMG]
      Coco
      by Musume Desu, on Flickr

10. [​IMG]

Interim stuff. Random acrylic eyes he came with, a Monique Pretty Girl wig(Sadly with a dodgy hairline, need to get him a better one but it will do for now), and the overtunic from a Tonner outfit. The shirt and pants from it are on another doll already rofl, my OrientDoll Vampire Tae, so he can't steal them.

11. @vermont chick Your girls look beautiful in those eyes. Priscilla really doesn't look surprised anymore, now she's got a serious expression and it really suits her.

@Musume Your Coco is gorgeous! I love that wig and the overall color combination.

@Ian-KunX Oh your boy looks so cute and shy in this picture~

After months I finally found a dress for my Nameless, I wouldn't have thought that it would take so long to get something fitting.
      Now I'm really happy with the end result.

[​IMG]
      Nameless by Sayo's Box, auf Flickr

12. @Ian-KunX He looks great!

@Kitsune88 thank you so much <3
      I saw more photos of your Nameless on your Flickr, and oh my she is so stunning and unique! She looks really great!

13. @Musume Thank you very much! I'm glad you like her style <3
      Now I'm just hoping that her purple eyes ship soon and don't get lost in the Christmas rush @.@

14. So I've bit the bullet and ordered an Aiden, a sculpt I've admired for years. He will be my first BJD, so I'm quite excited. Question for anyone who has an Aiden--what size wig and eyes does he take? I've done some research and I know that Withdoll's heads vary in size. From comparisons to other heads made at similar times, my best guess is that he will take a 7-8 wig and 12 mm eyes. I haven't found anything specific for that sculpt though so if anybody could confirm I'd be grateful.
      Also, although I do plan on sewing for him I'd like to get him some clothes beforehand. Does anyone know if Withdoll corrected the body measurements on their site since I saw previously in the forum that they were incorrect? Someone did post new ones a couple years ago for the new body, I'll see if I can find that again too. Any clothes companies to suggest, particularly for pants?

15. Congrats on your order. ^^ Aiden takes a 6-7" wig like all the boys after Dante, I think. Not 100% sure on the eye size, but most junior withdolls take 12mm, so I'd probably go with that. 10mm is often good too, but they might gap in the corners.

The measurements on Aiden's site look about right. There's some 0,5cm variation on them vs. what I got, but that could just be the way they've measured the body. I'd guess most companies that make msd sized boys would have clothes that fit decently. But I really haven't bought any for mine, so I don't have any actual experience, sorry.

16. @Kitsune88 good luck with the shipping! *crosses fingers*

@Allavii he would be 6-7" wigs, and probably low dome eyes. I have seen that low domes fit Withdolls a lot better!

17. I'm so late to this party... :sweat But I did want to add that Real UV actually does sand rather nicely, better than tan generally does:

[​IMG]Frostbitten foot by vicemage, on Flickr

Even in person, there's no significant color difference where I took his toe off. But as mentioned, there's not any major seams on these guys, so I didn't do any overall sanding on him, only where I modded his foot.

18. Yay, just got the new Mako eyes I ordered for my Nameless and I love that purple color <3 Now my cold undead beauty is finally complete :3nodding:

[​IMG]
      Nameless - Complete by Sayo's Box, auf Flickr

19. Nameless is very pretty. Too bad we can't actually see her eyes though. The downside of more closed eyes.