1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Worried about showing off doll

Jul 19, 2017

1. Best comment ever, love it and I totally agree.

2. I have stumbled upon doll meets but I didn't have my own doll.
      I now have three and I'm still nervous because I haven't formerly been to any meets since I got one and I've got a convention coming up soon.
      I have two tinies who are all painted but have terribly shoddy outfits, and a 32cm doll who isn't even painted yet, and I still need to swap out her head so I can't. She has no clothes even though I plan to make her a sweater soon.
      I am definitely in that position right now. S:

3. Don't be nervous guys! The first time I took out my dollies on a public photoshoot, I was scared. I thought people would look at me weird or judge or maybe even steal my doll! I have high anxiety and people scare me. But it was so fun and easy! Yes, people stared, but mostly out of pure curiosity. Most people secretly love dolls, so lets give them an opportunity to show it! Someone always compliments my doll politely whenever I take one out. To be honest though, most people are so busy with their lives they don't care about that one eccentric person with a bjd. I have never been to a doll meet (So far) but I would love too. I am sure that it is just full of open heart warming doll owners who simply love the fandom and everyone in it. Ok I know some guys are just jerks, but when you find that one just offer to tattoo their doll....then put a bad word on it XD

4. Funny enough, I was at a doll meet yesterday. I've been in the hobby for nearly 9 years now. I have limited dolls, discontinued dolls, dolls from companies that no longer exist as well as dead common dolls. Most of my guys are complete but I've also brought dolls that were blank or were wearing the "wrong" eyes or had a wig I wasn't happy with. Why did I do that when I had dolls that were complete and, in my opinion, gorgeous? Because that doll was new and I was excited to share my newest guy with everybody despite him being very, very unfinished. Sometimes the unfinished nature of the doll is what's exciting as you get to see a doll as it progress from blank doll to fully realized character. Generally, we also like talking about what we have planned for a doll and how we're going to bring them to that finished state.

99% of doll owners are excited to see other people's dolls and to see the excitement that owner has for their doll. Frequently people will offer you advice when you comment/complain about something or may even have things for sale/trade that you need. Is that wig a pop off problem? I did X thing and it stopped it for my doll. You need blue 14mm eyes? I just happened to bring some with me to trade/sell, let's see how they look in your girl. You were hoping to get a local artist for a face-up? Go talk to Jane over there, she did Susan's face-up and it's lovely. You need running shoes for a Minifee? Dude, you're in luck, I have an extra pair I'm trying to sell.

5. I don't fear showing my dolls to my bjd group, I'm very lucky to be in an awesome meet up group, but sometime I am fearful of showing them off too much online. I feel like if people know how many dolls I'm buying and how much money I'm spending they will judge me harshly since I'm not like rich or anything and technically my fiancee and I live paycheck to paycheck, because we usually keep less than a thousand in savings.

6. I know that feeling -- I'm touchy about money and feeling judged by how I spend it.

7. This is an interesting question and can apply to many things in life, I believe.

I always think that everything is on a continuum. There is always someone more talented and always someone less talented; there is always someone richer and always someone with less money. I have learned not to compete with anyone. I just try to make myself better.

That said, I don't worry what others think about my dolls. If someone has a doll with a nicer outfit, I might ask about the designer as I might want to purchase a similar outfit for my doll someday.

8. You should never be scared of being judged for your doll "not being good enough".
      Having an expensive outfit and nice wig in order to show off is not what this hobby is about, of course those things are nice but totally not a necessity and no one will laugh at you or your doll for not having those things.
      If you love your doll then they are more than good enough to show off. Do you and what makes you happy :3nodding:

As others have mentioned already, most people in this hobby are more interested in talking about the dolls and enjoying the hobby rather than judging each other for simple things like "imperfect" dolls.

9. I haven't been to a doll meet so I can't say anything about that but I was nervous to post about them because what if others didn't like her. But then I started to play around with her and take photos and if I like her thats all that matters. Im happy with how she is even if shes not perfect .