1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

WORST Doll Experience EVER

Apr 30, 2012

1. Mine was a model girl doll shipped in a box 1/3 her size. She was squeezed inside with not being taken apart, and no bubble wrap. She was so badly damaged. Her face up ruined, her fingers on both hands had each 2 broken and she was basically ruined. I eneded up selling for her 1/2 what I paid. But she was sold to artist who worked miracles and made her lovely & her own.

2. I'm over it now :) this was... two years ago? about... I think. It sucked pretty much for the rest of the time I was in that class, and I probably wouldn't have taken another photography class [I graduated] again and involved my dolls at all.
      I still proudly parade my dolls around. Got a job and one of the first things people found out about me was my doll collection, now the guy is waiting on getting accepted into DoA and already has his first doll planned! \ouo/ *so unbelievably excited about having a doll friend at work that I get to sit next to all day* [cant wait till he gets in and finds this post XD]

3. That was my introduction to the hobby by some classy ladies who thought they were secretive and above reproach. They would actually talk bad about me on their "hidden/private" area, which wasn't so private or hidden (I found it within days), they would troll/harass me on purpose so I would act out, and then try to get me banned from any websites or forums they could find me on. Of coarse after showing screencaps of everything they did, I didn't get banned, and usually they were warned. :(

I am working on a legal proceeding about one of them - a restraining order and charges of defamation of character. because she has harassed me so much. My lawyer says I can expect around $5,000 settlement due to the degree of which that one has been harassing me, with a potential for 30 days in jail or worse for the death threats (it depends on whether or not the FBI chose to get involved).

So yeah my intro to BJDs kind of sucked.

But other than that, my worst doll moment was this.

My girlfriend was still asleep and I snuck into her house to wake her up sweetly with cuddles and kisses. I opened the door to her room and took two steps in, when suddenly, something came down HARD on my head!! I fell to the ground, dazed and in pain and looked to see what hit me. It was her doll, Elda, who was face-down on the floor and missing a foot, her wig, and her head cap. Her DOLL attacked me! I freaked out assuming the doll was damaged badly, but too dazed to do much about it.

My girlfriend woke up to me with a bump on my head and her doll in pieces. :|

Fortunately, we both turned out OK. Doll only had a minor block spot on her nose from the ordeal, and we found all the missing pieces. I still have no idea where the doll was to hit me like that.

4. you know what! I forgot one.
      I'd mentally blocked this one out, but I'm at a point where I like sharing it, to hopefully reach out to anyone in my situation.

before I even start.
      I AM SAFE. This man is not part of my life, and hasn't been since that day, and we have the entire US between us.

Back when I was a sophomore in college and had been doll collecting for a about a year. It became a fad in my dorm to use online dating sites, and my friends had had great success, so I tried it out and found a great guy... or so I thought.
      I had my very first doll meet, and was so excited. I had planned a date with my, then, boyfriend (we'd been dating for about two and a half months).
      Talked to him about it and he said to go. I'd asked him to come with but he said no.

Well come the night after the meet and I'm talking to him (through instant message) and he's all of a sudden put off that I blew off our outting to go to the doll meet. Then, just like that, just like in my photo class, he starts rattling off horrid assumptions about myself and my dolls. Again with unhealthy relationships. How I'd chosen dolls over him, how I wanted dolls more than people friends (>_> if I wanted dolls I wouldn't go to a meet with people... now would I?) well I tried calling him to let him hear me and try to get across how upset he was making me. One thing leads to another and he's eventually saying how crazy I am, how infuriating the argument is, and how he could hit me :/
      I eventually hung up on him.

I only spoke to him 3 days later when I'd gotten into a horrible car accident, totaled my car, and didn't know who else to call.
      He told me he was coming, and then when he didn't show up, I called him 4 hours later, he said he was still concerned about my "mental state" and that he wasn't coming.

WELL THANKS FOR TELLING ME.

so yeah :( that was a pretty huge low in my life, but I didn't skip a beat with the dolls. I am lucky to have a strong sense of integrity, so I was able to quickly accept that the issue was him and I could just move on, and I had the most amazing supportive group of friends ever, doll and non-doll friends alike.

and - Just to recap. He'd never laid a hand on me /ever/. It was verbal abuse, I may should have reported it, but I chose not to.
      I had not spoken to him or researched him since my accident, so I have on idea what he's up to.

So, that being said. I'm always an open door to anyone who's having relationship issues that are revolving around dolls. It's tough, and you've got to know that there is NOTHING wrong with you as a doll collector, and anyone who has the audacity to assume that is not worth the time of day. We take enough harassment from the general public, we do not need to accept it from our loved ones. I will do all I can to offer you support and advice <3

5. Wow, Knibitz I can't believe your teacher! Never be afraid to correct some one about dolls, no matter who they are, if they are telling people some thing wrong, you should feel confident you can educate them.
      Guy sounds like an idiot and needs to realise he doesn't know everything, in fact can be completely wrong!

6. You go, Knibitz! :fangirl: I admire your strength for staying true to what you like and not letting those hurtful experiences tarnish your love for dolls. Thank you for sharing! :aheartbea

7. My worst experience in the hobby so far has to be a horrific event that took place back in September 2009 :(

Upon completing a commission on Volks Kohya who belonged to a very kind doll owner and also completing my own doll, a Migidoll Ryu (Taboo) I took the two heads outside to spray a final coating of Mr. Super Clear.

In all my years of painting dolls, I have never had a problem with placing the heads to be sprayed in the driveway... At the time, I lived with my parents, and my dad owns a Camaro that is parked in the driveway at all times. He always insists I don't spray the dolls near his car (I don't blame him) and so I always place the box of doll heads at the end of the driveway, but still IN the driveway. I usually step back onto the porch while they dry to watch them, so I don't breathe toxic MSC fumes. After the first minute, I bring the heads onto the porch to finish drying. I am very cautious.

Back to the story. I placed both the commission and my own doll at the end of the driveway until suddenly, a random car decided to turn into our driveway, our property to TURN AROUND. I literally had to watch in horror as the car wheel drove perfectly over the two heads and CRUSHED THEM :( It was like a slow motion scene from a movie, I ran at the car waving my hands and screaming as they were pulling up in the driveway. I fell into the grass, unable to look at the terrible scene that just took place crying and crying.. My sisters both ran out because they heard my loud scream and started crying at the scene of the crushed dolls. My dad then ran out and at that time, the car had backed up, and the driver had gotten out. I just remember my dad trying to explain to the man what he had done, and why I we were all three crying in the grass hysterical. My dad took down the mans information and had explained that he had to pay for the damages and the man took off. He never replied to my dad after he heard how much the doll heads were worth...

I just remember being in shock and not knowing what to do until my mind started clearing up again and my sisters helped me calm down. My dear friend Lilimuth actually surprised me with a new Migidoll Ryu, who is the Taboo we know and love today, however it was very difficult replacing the Volks Kohya. I ended up finding the only one that was available at the time on Yahoo Japan, as a full doll and Lilimuth again helped me purchase him along with another great friend of mine.

If you wish to see the photos of the destruction, please click here, but it is not for the faint of heart;

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/morbidollz/new random album/9132.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/morbidollz/new random album/9131.jpg

I have learned from this experience and am grateful the owner of Kohya was so understanding. I will never step away from a BJD being sealed with MSC, and I now have my own apartment where I can spray on my balcony far away from cars.

Thank you to Lillimuth, Daniel, Sam, Aileen and my dad for helping me through this mess.

8. ;n; ugh Belladonna, I remember those photos. I never heard the whole story though - I just knew someone had run over them. I always assumed it someone you knew (figured someone backed over a package in the driveway [I've had postmen leave boxes under my car when I get mail =_=]) Glad you were able to replace them. I can't even begin to imagine what I would have done, probably the same, just stand there and scream :(

9. That's horrible! I hope that guy had a series of flat tires to make up for the cost of the doll heads! >.< At least your friends were kind enough to help you get replacements.

10. I've had a few minorly bad experiences in compare to everyone elses issues, but these are horror stories in my mind.

I decided to bring my lovely Kizdolls Elf Saiy out to the orchard. I adore him so much because of the fact that the company is now dreadful to deal with and that he is perfect in every way to me, and only a few other people out there own him. I placed him out on an apple crate to take a picture, and when i checked my camera, the wind blew him off. The crate was 5 feet tall, so i screamed and panicked. I picked him up to check and he was okay, aside from his eyebrows fading off a bit.

Another one was my neglectful actions of leaving my Bobobie Apollo out. His head changed colour and it took me 7 faceup attempts to do a crappy blushing job to make him match, but i love how he looks now.

Recently there was a convention/doll meet (May). I was setting up my dolls only to find that My Bobobie Apollo and Bobobie/Resinsoul song decided to be mean to me. My bobobie apollo's nose has smudged so you could see the pale resin. His eyebrow also randomly vanished. Luckily i fixed him up. My Song had just gotten a BEYOND beautiful faceup. I was super happy, then when i took him out for the doll meet...His eyebrow was scratched and part of it missing. I was so angry, i got really grumpy, but it turned out okay in the end.

Now dealing with people....

One person on DOA (I won't say who, because i dont want to ruin her credability) was super rude when i explained on another thread what had happened to my Apollo's head. She cussed and called me a bad doll owner and that I shouldn't even be in the hobby. She continued to say that my dolls were "stupid, cheap pieces of resin that aren't even considered dolls by decent people in the hobby" which made me get territorial, seeing as there are a lot of people with Bobobie dolls. Her entire message was an attack to me, but everyone seems to like this person and apparently she is really nice, so i wont name or report her, but it definatly kept me silent on the forums for a little over a month.

Very recent: paypal hates me and would let me make payments over $50...so i couldnt get the wig i wanted with the rescue head i just purchased. The seller is AMAZING and very understanding! I love her to pieces.

11. Oh my godness batchix! I can't believe that happened :( Still in some ways it was fate as the new design does very well. :)

I'm still making my way through this thread, it's really awful, some of this stuff that's happened!

As far as falling over stories go I don't really have any but one-ish but it didn't end badly as it could of.
      I'd had my Super Gem Lupin with custom face up about a week or so and was trying on new clothing for him that stained very quickly, due to his body blushing I had to wash him very carefully so I took him into the bathroom. As I was washing his body his faceplated popped off onto the tiles and spun a couple of times I snapped it up and checked him all over and he didn't have a scratch! That night I glued his face plate on and it's never come off since! I felt anxious the rest of the night after it happened and just couldn't calm down.

12. Knibitz- :( Thank you for the support. They are quite haunting, I think it was all a series of unfortunate circumstances. I cannot believe your postmen, why would they do that! It's really hard to get through things like this when it's unexpected and something you've never had to deal with before (lost/damaged property that isn't yours). I was just really concerned about the Kohya commission and how the owner must have felt. I was responsible for the loss and knew that I had to resolve it asap with her.

kaschan502- Thanks so much, I know, all I can wish for now is some bad karma. I know it wasn't really his fault, I should have been even more cautious, but you never expect these things to happen. And he didn't do anything to help.
      I am lucky to have such dear friends.

13. I am so sorry for what happend to you Belladonna! Seeing shatterd resin on the pavement is heartbreaking.

14. My worst BJD experience happened just as I was entering the hobby.

I knew nothing back then. This was around maybe three or four years ago? I had not befriended anyone from the local doll community, I knew nothing about ordering online - this was before Paypal got easier to access in my country - so I ordered a doll from Luts and clothes from Dollmore through a local shopping service.

I had no idea how long wait times were, so I went two or three months just waiting. Then, all the excuses from the seller began to pile up. After seeking the advice of the members of the local community, I finally admitted to myself that I had indeed been scammed out of a great sum of money. If I remember correctly, the total was around $525.

Long story short, the seller reimbursed me bit by bit. Getting the money out of her was hard, it involved me constantly messaging and emailing and texting her and she'd only send small amounts at a time. It came to the point where I even accepted reimbursements in kind, like items from her store. This process took almost to a little over a year, a long, drawn out year.

She moved to Singapore, the last time I checked. This was around two or three years ago, then. I have no way of contacting her anymore. She changed her number and no longer checks her email. If I remember correctly, I still have maybe around $100 or $120 left with her. But I take it now as the price for a good lesson learned, a lesson I learned the hard way.

I've recovered financially since then, so all that's behind me now. But I now take particular care about warning newbies about sellers who claim to host pre-orders for BJDs. A good number of people in my country still go through middlemen since online shopping is still a bit tricky. I hope to educate people about buying BJDs directly from the website, try to help them expedite the process or make it easier for them by telling them where to go and what to do and how to order, so no one has to go through the same hassle as me. It's all behind me now, but that incident was by far the worst doll experience ever. :o

15. I had the same problem! And I said the same thing, this is NOT what I ordered! I didn't complain to them though; people here said I was being too picky and it was my own fault. I just decided that if I ever order from them again (and I do also want an Asa) then I will not let them do the faceup. The eyelashes my Barahan had didn't even look like the picture! I did get a great faceup on him though, and now he's such a beauty!

16. I've only had one bad experience with a company. It wasn't for the doll, but for the eye glue remover. I don't want to mention the company, because it was the individual who took my information after all. They tried to steal my credit card information. It's not a problem limited to doll shopping though. My dad had his info taken when buying a bed. So I think the deciding factor is just the large purchases.

17. My experience pales in comparison to some of these other stories, but it is a bit light-hearted and fun, so I thought I would post it anyway!

I was visiting a friend and I brought my new Peak's Woods doll over to show off. I stood her up on the kitchen table and was going on about how great they are at standing when -- WHACK! She bends at the waist and pops me RIGHT in the mouth with her bald little head. She was an SD, mind you. Not going to lie, my eyes were tearing up a bit! xD

18. Wow, some people have some stories, huh?

I'm fairly new to the hobby and sort of enjoy it on my own. That's because when I got my first, a little pukipuki, I went to show my sister and she flat out told me, "You know. I don't care." lol That's my worst experience and probably why I never brought it up with her again. Her boyfriend liked my little pukipuki. So there.

19. I consider myself quite lucky so far, after reading previous posts :sweat My worst experience would be during a photoshoot with Coralee; she was standing like a rock, so I left the room for maybe ten seconds to go grab a drink from the kitchen. I heard this almighty crash, and rushed back in to see her lying face-down on the wooden floor. She was my first doll (and only one at the time), so yeah, my heart pretty much stopped for a moment or two. I picked her up and she was fine - no chipping, no broken nose or digits, thank goodness. But boy, was I terrified...

Another bad experience (though, granted, not as scary as having her faceplant into the floor) was my attempts at Coralee's face-up. I consider myself a decent artist, but found painting on a 3D surface surprisingly difficult. I was disappointed with how her first face-up turned out, so redid it a few months later with better supplies. She looked miserable, like she'd been crying (too much pink/red around her eyes!), so I did it again. Her new eyebrows were way too arched; she looked evil, like some crazy lady from a comic book. It was more discouraging than anything to have each attempt fall short of expectation. She's on maybe her fourth or fifth now, and I'm still not happy with it. It's the best one so far, so I'm scared to remove it in case the next one's awful! :doh

20. My worst experience must be now

Iv been doing face up to some friends which I dont get paid anyway but this time I was going to do a face up on a impldoll mermaidish head.... problem, this person who own the head had made the face up with black acrylic and nail polish.... I been scrubbed that head in two months with that magic sponge and all other medium that works to clean a bjd head.. I could not get it clean the mouth was black the eyes was black it had black dots over the head.

For the first time I gave up I took my car and drove home to give back the head and told this person I cant do this, it wont look good, she took the head and while I talked to some friends who was there she came back and just gave me the haed again and said -Here! mod it so it look okay!! it was a cheap head anyway!
      She had taken a scapel and carved in the mouth and uneven eyes, it looked like a kid who had cut bread for the first time with a bad knife.. Lovely