1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

WORST Doll Experience EVER

Apr 30, 2012

1. My worst doll experience was definitely getting a doll I'd loved since I joined the hobby and then instantly hated him the moment I got him out of the box. I kept him for a year and nothing worked-- I couldn't find any clothes I liked for him, I couldn't name him, and he stayed in the box nearly the entire year. I traded him for quite a bit of a loss, and to add insult to injury I broke my nail down to the quick on his shipping box as I handed him over to the post office.

On the bright side, I adore the doll I got in the trade.

2. For me it was a case of never being able to get a character to stick to a doll I really loved.:( I bought this amazing clockwork modded head here in the marketplace. The mods were amazing, the doll was quite beautiful, and I was so thrilled to get her. I immediately found a female body that was a perfect match and congratulated myself on having obtained such a wonderful work of art. All was good until I tried to come up with a character for her. Now, I'm the overly creative and imaginative sort...I can come up with elaborate backstories for a doll at the drop of a hat, and I'm a pretty competent seamstress as well. Originally I'd intended to make her steampunk...but guess what? I discovered that steampunk is a clothing style I have absolutely no talent for!!!:doh (I was frankly shocked by this because I've done tons and tons of other costume genres over the years, including all sorts of elaborate Victorian.) Okay, so after that little blow to my ego,:lol: I figured no big deal...I'll just find another persona for her. So I tried young, old and everything in between. I'd make her new clothes, buy her new wigs, create new display settings for her...but nothing ever stuck more than a few days. She always "looked" great, but she never "felt" great like all my other dolls do to me. As lovely and unique as she was (and I'd always intended her to be my "grand art doll" because of that) nothing ever seemed to work with this doll. Well, long story short, after a couple of years of this constant angst, I bought my Dollzone Anson (flower doll) and went to town on her. When she was completed, she had quite obviously become the grande art statement I'd always wanted for my collection. I immediately looked over at the clockwork Rao and literally said out loud, "You're so outta here!" She sold in the marketplace in a couple of hours, so she's onto a better life now. I guess it was just never meant to be...but wow! What a horrid experience from a creative standpoint...as in: dreams shattered.:sweat

3. I think I have two that really irk me:

About two weeks after receiving my Pipos R.Charlotte, I was watching something or other with her on my lap, and also fighting with much heavier drugs than my doctor has switched me to now. I got up for something, and she caught on my robe....and stayed there until I was two steps over linoleum of course. I heart a crash and skitter noise, and blankly stared around until I noticed her. I thought it was her tail that had gone flying, but she managed to chip her ear. I've since glued it back on but still need to get a bit more Amazing Sculpt to fix it and give it a bit of clean up blushing. Still mad at myself though I know I wasn't doing a whole lot of thinking. As soon as it warms up enough for me to feel comfortable making a lot of use of my fingers again, I'll patch up her ear, cover most of her face and touch up her blushing. I might not be awesome at it, but she'll hold. At least she still looks super cheerful.

My second one was with Nobility. I had been in on a group order for a custom body (and I'll be real surprised if this doesn't show up a dozen times) that was going to be downright awesome. They were very difficult to get to follow the design request and eventually decided "no more changes allowed" when we kept pushing them to get closer to the design we were looking for. For the people earliest in the order, it was a full year before they started shipping, then about six months after that before they bothered to complete all the people in the order's dolls, with obviously degrading quality between each cast. Several of us had seam lines sharp enough to draw blood and the engineering in the end turned out to be rather poor. I don't have the time, energy, or properly working joints in my own body to tune up hers, so the body got rehomed.

4. I have a few things but nothing about a doll falling.

Doll sale: I had a LE doll that I sold to someone on the marketplace. Since the person had been looking for that specific model, I thought 'they really want it, they'll take good care of it'. So goodbye I said to that cute fella. Just a few months later, I see the buyer re-selling the doll, but he was 'butchered' IMO. It made me regret selling him :(

People: The worst experience was with a local collector who lied in her sales threads, talked behind peoples backs (including her best friend), pretended to run off with dolls etc. To remedy the situation, I just avoid her. It just sucks because it tends to turn me off from going to meets: I'm blunt as hell and I don't want to ruin everyone's fun moment.

Sales (a buyer): Dragged on a sale for over a month and then suddenly said 'oh well i used it all up during my vacation' even though we set up a date where she'd send me payment. I was pretty pissed off because I was led to believe it was for sure, and there were things I needed to pay, and another doll that I wanted to get.

5. I bought a doll off the MP a couple of years ago that was "lost in the mail" and never showed up..I could have started a PayPal dispute, but the amount of money was relatively small compared to the average price of dolls, and some people need PayPal to function to pay their daily bills, even scammers :|, and disputes can sometimes make PayPal suspend the account entirely. I was also annoyed at myself for not doing enough homework--I could have just bought that doll direct from the factory. I left feedback describing what I knew from my side of things, but it was disappointing. Almost all of my other MP transactions have been very good to amazing.

6. I don't think I would ever get over something like that. :(
      That's just...wayyy to much to watch! xD

7. I would have to say that my worst experience so far has been with an individual, in particular one that I was giving a ride to a doll meet. She said at first that she wouldn't be able to provide gas money, but could sew something for my dolls, and it was fine with me (even though the meet location was almost two hours away). After the meet a group of us (us two included) went to an awesome fabric store, and when we were done she announced that she spent almost $60 on sewing supplies and fabric and had $60 more to spare!! Mind you, she was well aware that I had lost my job and it was no cheap trip to go all that way and spend money on food in the process. I didn't call her out on it at the time because I feel it's rude and disrespectful to do so in front of other people, but let's just say I won't be giving any free rides to the next meet. :|

8. Oh wow. That is seriously the stuff my dollie nightmares are made of. I am so sorry. :'(

9. Probably not the worst, but the most "unfortunate".

I completed some extensive aesthetics work as a commission on a particularly sought after doll. After months of waiting for payment from the commissioner, I eventually learned that her lack of communication was down to the fact that she'd died whilst her doll was in my possession.
      Selling the doll to recoup the losses I'd incurred was difficult, but the extra money I recieved from the sale was donated to charity. I'm not one for cashing in on someones loved one passing away!

10. Ohh.....man....that must have been difficult to deal with, what you did was really nice though.

The worst thing I've had is nowhere near as horrible as most of you.

Mine was simply that my first doll made me bleed due to suddenly snapping back and pinching the skin between the thumb and the index finger. Hurt like hell but I count myself lucky.

11. Generally, despite all the blemishes in the hobby, and even the 'horrific' times (which I now see as learning experiences) I have never had a 'bad' tone with dolls or doll owners. Unpleasant, yes. But bad? No.

That changed, however when I sold my Euclase in the marketplace. Now, in all my years of buying and selling there, nothing horrible had ever happened tome, and I actually thank the mods for that. What happened was no fault of anyone but the purchaser and maybe a little of myself. If I had been firmer as a seller, I would have seen all my money six months earlier in a time when the cash was desperately needed. I was going to school, and to help finance my studying, I put my boy on the market. I should have held him for another friend, but because I needed the money immediately, I sold him to a newer friend who SAID she could pay over like, three or four months. It was a complete drama and fiasco, involving all kinds of dishonesty and shenanigans that eventually did see me paid, a whole paging thread and like nine months later.

I've looked towards buyers with a more jaundiced eye, now. There was another who flaked out of a split and I had a hard time selling parts afterwards, but nothing came close to this experience. I changed my policies on layaway because of it, and I'm more reluctant to sell long term because of what happened. A friend, too. :c

12. ok this is is definitely THE worst (BJD hobby related) thing that could happen to anyone!

13. My personal worst thing(s) are really not that bad. I accidentally glued my pukipuki's head & faceplate magnets the wrong way so they repelled each other rather. I have since fixed it.

Another unfortunate decision was when I purchased my pukipuki ante--I should have opted to purchase the sleeping faceplate but I didn't. I wish I had--that's my one regret.

14. My worst doll experience...I'm feeling full of rage just by remembering that time!:x

My nightmare started thanks to 2 face up artists (they are on this board, btw) but it came to a happy end thanks to a wonderful face up artist!

I sent one my boys for a new face up to someone in Asia, the artist ignored ALL my instructions and did a face up I didn't want, I kindly asked her to re-do it and she refused >.> so she sent me back my boy BLANK (and I had to pay for shipping). While I was waiting for the head, I contacted another face up artist ( I trusted her because she was the one who sold me the doll and she did the old face up) but she made me wait SIX MONTHS, she told me at first that I had to wait just a little bit because she was busy but she would gladly work on my boy...I accepted. However, like 2 weeks later I saw on her thread that she was accepting face up commissions again so I thought she wasn't busy anymore and has started working on my boy (since he was with her before any other commission)but she never started working on him until the last minute when she had to travel to somewhere and sent me a message that the face up was done and if I didn't like it I had to wait at least 3 months until she comes back from her 'journey' ...I was so mad!! because she did something very different to the instructions I gave her...:(

To make a long story short, my third attempt at finding a kind soul who was willing to actually listen to what I wanted, finally appeared! kittymaru was very kind and I was on the verge of tears when I sent her a PM for help, she was my last hope. Needless to say, she followed my instructions perfectly and did a beautiful job!!! I'm forever grateful to her.

My boy was absent for ONE YEAR. *cries* I'm learning how to do my own face ups so I don't have to deal with something like this ever again.

For face up artists: just refuse a commission if you don't feel like doing face ups, so others won't suffer. Please.:|

15. I'd have to say with my Iple House Barahan. A lot of people disagreed with me, but the doll I received didn't seem to resemble the one pictured on the site. I honestly thought I'd been sent the wrong doll: wrong skin tone, wrong faceup, wrong head.

I had his faceup wiped and he's currently with a faceup artist. I'm also going to see about getting him a different wig, since I ordered the default and (again) it looks nothing like what was pictured, except for being the same color.

Also, the doll cannot pose. He's built to stand and that's all he can do. Because of this experience, I don't want to get another doll from Iple House. My wife got an Akando and he looks as pictured, but I'm definitely going to be wary in the future about the Limited Edition dolls.

16. Flip flopping between loving my dolls and being amazed by how much pleasure I get out of owning them, and feeling like a freak every time I pick one up.

Opening up my grail doll only to discover that for the first time out of 10, I was looking at a doll I didn't immediately love. It took awhile, but I've bonded with him now and can't see myself selling him... ever really, even though he's the most expensive doll I own and he'd fetch a nice return. Still it was kind of scary to have spent all that money and find out that I wasn't automatically smitten...

17. I also had a lot of trouble with Ringdoll when I ordered my Sol, Chris. I didn't realize they already had a backlog, but aside from fulfilling orders taking forever, the company had some sort of industrial incident in which people were actually injured. Communication was sporadic and you would sometimes go for months without a response. Their Facebook page was filled with angry customers world-wide, threatening to go to their local police and embassies over what appeared to be a scam.

I got my doll 9 months after I ordered him. He was only my second BJD and yeah, I did consider during that period never ordering another. But Ringdoll got back on its feet, sent a free gift for making people wait, and appears to have stabilized. I even ordered a second doll from them, Frankenstein, and I had placed my order and received my doll within under 30 days.

I do have to say, though, that they are sloppy with their work and I don't plan to order from them again. Both my dolls were scratched and flaky at the joints. But I still count my Barahan story as my very worst experience, because at least these two dolls looked as they were pictured and I'm very happy with them and don't want to modify a thing.

18. So far the worst thing that happened to my boys was that they BOTH fell into the mirror on my dresser in the EXACT same spot. They're legs both buckled at the knee and they fell head first. One was turned away from the mirror, one was standing facing it. It's like that spot was cursed or something, lol. @.@

They both were completely fine though it was strange since my RD boy stands like a rock. My CD boy, eh, not so much. There was a streak left on the mirror though from one of their face ups. I felt sick as I turned him around to face me to see the damage and when there was none, I think I loved my life just a little more then, lol.

19. I'm trying to think of any really bad doll experiences I've had. There haven't been any terrible ones, but a couple unpleasant ones were:

We sent off several doll parts for blushing, and upon return... Restringing like eight dolls was a bit overwhelming. But the Fairyland 65 boy was the most frustrating. What kind of stringing utelizes keyrings? It took me a little getting used to, but I'd feel confident taking apart and reassembling more of their dolls now.

The other... When I ordered my ImplDoll Christoper I was in love with her default face-up. I based both her wig and eyes on the purple lips that had most attracted my attention. When I got her, her eyeshadow was a lot darker, her eyebrows were far harsher, and she had pink lips, like natural, orangey-flushed color. I didn't think it was bad, but it never quite sat right with me. I've finally caved and sent her off to get a slightly modified version of the default based on pictures.

20. I think my worst experience to date has to be the entire ordering/shipping process for both my dolls.

Each doll came from a different company - as will the third one:sweat - and both had very different ways of getting the order through, and getting it shipped. Out of both, I think my first doll, Emma (DM Kid Flocke) I had more difficulty with because Dollmore's email responses can be kind of... cryptic, especially when compared to Bobobie.

I think I accidentally put in the order for her 3 times, and then it said 'sold out'. I was baffled, and I had no idea if my order went through or not, because after you check 'PayPal', then 'continue', it gives you a blank screen. Little did I know that, after that blank screen, I'd have to wait a few hours for a PayPal invoice to arrive via email, and complete my transaction then. I had thought she was sold out - possibly never to be sold again - and I was really confused.

I did send DM an email about when she would be in stock again, and they gave me some really weird response that said they weren't going to be making her into a girl...? (I was buying the female version they were selling, btw) I didn't get it. But luckily, the invoice came later on, I paid, the doll took 21 days between ordering and delivery, and I was so happy.

With BBB, I got a lot of mixed ideas as to how long it takes them to usually ship. My summer was pretty busy already, so I easily found a way to distract myself in the time it took for my doll to arrive. I got more concerned closer to around 5 or 6 weeks, and I started asking when the doll would come out. I think it took them around 8 weeks, though people were telling me that their orders were arriving sooner. But the delivery was longer for him, and he spent a day in customs.

After that, I think my worst doll experience ever hasn't been with people. People are pretty good in this hobby, and even those who might seem asocial can develop their social skills later on, and completely surprise you.

But besides that, I think the worst experience when having the dolls was with my DM Kid, and I kept dropping her one night because I placed her too close to where I was putting my hand to adjust my sitting position on the sofa. Resin makes a loud sound when it hits something...