1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

WORST Doll Experience EVER

Apr 30, 2012

1. My worst doll experience had also lead to my best doll experience....

Once apon a time I was selling a SD10 boy body, I found this seller that was interested, well the sales thread had listed a few problem areas mostly that the jointed had been hot glue suaded. When it arrived to the buyers home they began to complain that the doll was "dirty" in the joints, now if they had read the sale thread they would have known that it was just hot glue. And they demanded a complete refund for the doll but I wasn't going to do that. unless they sent the doll back first.
      For some reason they convinced me that I was in the wrong and threatened me with bad feedback. If I didn't give back the funds first, promising that they would send the doll-body back to me. I was stupid and believed them.
      3 months of chasing them down in emails, PM whatever. No response, no doll. I considered pursuing legal help.

My last ditch effort was to try to contact a member in the buyer's area.
      And lo an behold an kind person was willing to go to the theif's address and they retrieved the doll for me.
      They even shipped the doll body back to me free of charge! I was so happy to get him back. I will never sell it ever again just because of the memory and lessons attached to it. And I will never forget this kind person who went out their way to help me.

:)

2. The "scariest, heart attack" moment I had was when I went to a meet with my Puki PiPi and for a photo with my friend's YoSD we placed her on her lap and she slid right off face first into the cement floor :( Her nose lost a piece and there was a mark on her forhead and just *cry* She was the puki pipi Full Package (Snowflake Fairy) version and it was her faceup that made me fall in love with her. I kept freaking out I would never be able to replace her. Luckily Fairyland agreed to do the special faceup on a new faceplate for me as long as I paid for the faceplate (which I did of course!) This was a few years ago, but I still am so grateful they did that for me =D

Worst doll experience I think are the ignorant people. I don't expect everyone to know about the hobby, but I do expect people to be respectful of others' property. When we took our dolls to a matsuri a kid kicked my sister's doll so we scolded him and his parents were livid. We scolded the parents *lol* Then when the parents found out how much the doll was they told us we were stupid to bring such an expensive item to a public place. The mother was told then she better not bring her Coach bag out either!

3. I asked to talk to the manger and then waited like 1 and a half hour if I had waited anymore time I would have missed my plane home. I glued the finger back in place so it isn't to bad and I learned to not trust the airport people anymore. LAX is not a fun airport !

4. I had two unpleasant doll experiences.

The worst was when my doll was stolen out of my mom's house (I stored my dolls there while I was doing my internship) some years ago. Mom had a large group of friends visiting, who also brought along their friends, and after that visit, one of my dolls was gone (Delf Soo). Unfortunately, I discovered the loss only a year or so later, at which point it was impossible to track down who exactly took it. All I know for certain is that someone in that visiting group took her, since mom didn't have anymore visitors between that time and my discovery of the missing doll. The only other alternative is a burglar who only took one doll and nothing else (quite unlikely).

Another bad experience was with a rather well-known company, of which I've been a very good customer. I received a doll that I felt was not up to the quality standard I expect for the price. When I contacted the said company, nothing was done to resolve my issue. This experience has put me off from buying their dolls, even though I have a list a mile long of dolls I planned to buy from them. I still plan to buy those dolls, but I will not be buying direct from the company anymore (will buy through a dealer that will take a doll back should it have quality issues).

The theft is definitely the worst of the two, especially considering the circumstances during which it happened.

5. My worst experience came from a transaction on DOA. I got the doll but not without a lot of grief, stress, and arguing. It's been 6 years and I still can't look at BJDs without stressing out and thinking about it, especially when I look at the one that was involved in the transaction. I absolutely loved the doll I bought but I haven't even taken it out of the box because of it. I really wish I could forget it but this doll just brings back all the bad memories of that stupid transaction. I never bought another doll and I'm probably going to sell the two I have because of it. Can't afford the hobby now, anyway...

6. You need to remember that people were behind the pain-in-the-butt transaction. People made you stress out. Your doll happens to be the product of the fight between you and this other person, but remember: you got the doll. She might symbolize the pain and stress that you went through, but in some sense, she is your trophy - you won. The doll is yours!:)

If you want to, you should try keeping her out for a little while while you do things in your home, like watch TV. Hopefully, the new memories you eventually create have a heavier weight than the memories of your transaction. You'll never forget what happened, but new memories can overshadow the pain you felt at the time.

7. My worst experiences well... =_='' your lovely doll almost fell from the table through the floor, thank goodness for the carpet and he is okay. I blame that for few of my friends that cannot take care of their hands from other people properties. They said sorry, and it is okay for me. Still I had to be careful of him from now.

8. I can't pick one single experience, there's probably 2 or 3 that were really unpleasent for me.

One was where I sent a head to an artist who charged me $150 up front for the faceup. The head was in there possesion for over 10 months while I recived no comuinication; I tried several ways to contact them. In the end the head did just appear on my doorstep one day with no notification I had been shipped. It was painted, but the faceup was obviously rushed/half hearted and not up to the usual standard of the artist's usual work. His eyebrows were drawn so close togeather he almost had a monobrow ><' He will have to be redone (I haven't had the heart to send him out again just yet, so he has been blank for months) and I never got my money back.

Another time was when I lost a limited doll head. He was left wrapped in bubble wrap in an unlabeled brown shipping box that he came in, during a time when my family home/parent's house was undergoing refurbishment/re-modeling/spring cleaning. I've never found it, and I suspect it's thrown out. Totally my carelessness but an unpleasent experience none the less. I looked for it everywhere and was crying ><

9. My worst experience was earlier this year when I thought I could remove blushing from a doll myself. When I removed the blushing from her bust it tunred her entire bust piece a really weird color even though all of her other parts that I removed the blushing from were fine. After that I had someone heavily blush the bust piece but it wasn't a perfect match and by then I just felt really turned off by the doll...even though it was my fault. I felt so stupid!

10. My worst experience came when I was making a set of legwarmers for a friend's Obitsubody 60cm. (I can't for the life of me remember her name, it's been a while and this is quite embarrassing!) This whole outing was just horrible, I botched the design and had to do it over again, chewing through more precious fabric. Didn't help that the machine subsequently decided to eat my sleeve. Lost the shirt and ended up with an awful pair of leg warmers.

11. Man, I can't even remember half of this story by now. But as an extremely generous gift, a friend of mine had bought me my first and only Soom MD, Cass. They offered to get the fastest shipping which would include "TNT express" or some BS company like that. At the time I was like "well if you think that's best, that's nice of you". But turns out cheap, normal shipping would have been the better choice. My doll was lost for months after she shipped, all at the fault of some damn idiot courier that must have hated their job or something (can't think of another reason why they would have failed so royally). After I finally found out how to contact them, they CLAIMED they had tried to deliver the doll, but they either didn't leave a notice at all, or simply haphazardly chucked it at my door not taking into account that THIS IS A WINDY ASS CITY! Either way those jerks never made a point to try contacting me again while my doll sat in their warehouse, and I had to go through a huge rigamarole asking SOOM who they shipped with, and then talking to ABSOLUTE IDIOTS at this shipping company who COULDN'T REMEMBER/FIND OUT WHAT COURIER THEY HANDED OFF MY EXPENSIVE PACKAGE TO! After waiting and waiting some more they finally got their crap together and made ME contact the courier myself to beg them for my package!! Then they tried to tell me I still owed them customs fees for it! I more or less told them that they should be giving ME money for that god awful service! I never reimbursed them for the customs fee they paid and they never asked for it again.

And to top it all off, I open up my poor Cass to see a couple of her fingers had snapped off. But I was ok with just glueing them back on.

12. They seriously told you "tough luck?" Well, I guess I won't be buying from them...At least not directly. And they never sent you replacement parts? You'd think of all doll companies, Soom would at least have the courtesy to apologize. :(

13. I've never had any *horrible* experiences, but I've had a few less-than-ideal ones. I had a roommate who crushed my doll boxes and tossed them down the garbage shoot, pillows and all, despite them being tucked under my desk and not at all in her way. I had several problems with that roommate... I had a strong dislike of people handling my stuff, and despite me telling her not to touch my things, she often "organized" my stuff since we shared the same room. I lost a lot of doll jewelry from her fussing with my things. But the doll boxes happened to be a big thing for me. Certificates were in those boxes. Pillows. Possibly doll accessories. All gone!

I once had a doll that I couldn't bond with, and had to sell him. He gave me bad dreams, surprisingly! He was a horrible poser so a restringing was in order. When I tried to restring him, it was such a stressful, long mess! Eventually, when it came down to finances, I decided to sell him off. But I loved his character, so I recreated him as a yoSD-sized boy a few years later. <3

I think another downer for me had nothing to do with me at all. Anyone watch Hoarders: Buried Alive? There was an episode with this woman who collected dolls. Not ABJDs, but still, expensive dolls! As far as I could see, she wasn't "buried alive" by her dolls--it was the craft supplies she had too much of. Towers of organized bins stuffed to the brim with fabrics and various other items. But the episode focused on her doll "obsession" instead of the real focus of her hoarding. It depicted her as some crazy woman who talked to her dolls, combed their hair, and set them on display... something many of us do every day! One woman even asked if it would be okay for her to take the dolls and sell them online for the hoarding woman, and she said she'd have to provide descriptions of each doll -- what kind it is, the worth, etc --(which is something we can understand, right?) but they cut her off and told her to stop making excuses. They mishandled the dolls and her own daughter mocked her love of them, it was awful. The episode really stressed me out!

Really though, nothing can ever chase me from this hobby. Not loss, not people, not cruddy companies, not accidents. My dolls make me happy. Each one is a little accomplishment... *I* made this character, or *I* did this faceup, or *I* assembled this outfit, and always, always, always, *I* worked hard to earn this doll. Of course, I haven't suffered terrible things like some others... but still, I think I'd love this hobby too much to let anything get in my way.

14. I've had a few unpleasant ones, but not a single one that reigns over the others. The specific incidents themselves didn't upset me so much as the greed and callousness behind the actions.

I'm most disappointed by terrible doll company customer service. I don't understand why we as a group make excuses for it or silence/invalidate those that speak out about it.

15. I almost left the hobby... I bought a doll that I was told was a Wishel. After I got the doll I could tell it wasn't a Wishel and I found a thread about it where the seller was trying to ID the doll. I posted more pictures of the doll. Some other very nice people on DoA helped me figure out that the doll is, well, weird and probably an illegal recast. Possibly a legal recast because the companies sold the molds to another company when they went under. Either way I can't post her here on DoA and I can't sell her. I couldn't get my money back because of the time it took me to find out it was a fake. I really felt taken at this point and didn't think I was going to buy another doll. I've bought three more since then and I make sure to stay far far away from Ebay. I have had a very pleasant trade on the MP which restored my confidence a little. I definitely try to buy direct from the company now. I also stay active looking for bootlegs and reporting them. I don't want anyone to go through what I did. The people that actively seek out recasts and buy them on purpose really make me sick and mad. I am no longer looking for a Wishel. It just makes me sad to think about trying to get one without any hassle on the secondary market.

16. Well Lets see...

There was the time that i had ordered a Soom Unikenta body off the DOA marketplace. I had no problems with the seller. That was wonderful. But the mail man who delivered him.... My tracking said he had been delivered but i had been waiting at home all day for the doorbel to ring so he Couldn't have been. Then come to find out the mail man had just slid the Soom box under my room mates car and left. UNDER THE CAR TIRE!! Thomas almost ran him over! Luckily I was checking the mail (we have a super long drive way) and saw something under his car. I would have killed Thomas if he ran over my prescious Antaros!

17. I've had experiences where our delivery guy claims things were delivered or that we weren't home when we were waiting all day and received nothing.

18. I had the same experience. Our regular postman is very nice and always brings packages to the door. The guys who fill in for him when he's off, don't bother - they simply leave the "Sorry we missed you note", even when there's someone at home. It's very annoying because that means we have to go to the PO to pick up the package and it's not something we can easily do during weekdays.

19. What a freaking lazy jerk! I hope you report him to his boss or something. Dx I would be so furious if I was waiting all day for a package I knew was going to arrive and the post man just left me a note and didn't even ring the doorbell!

Currently, my only bad experience with my doll was trying to trim her fullset wig.... and ruining it. Luckily, I don't think it was a limited wig, and I hated it anyway because it was much too big for her and just frustrated the hell out of me constantly. I plan to buy her the same wig in a smaller size (which Iplehouse sells. I have no earthly idea why the wig they sold with her fullset was the wrong size! It's not like they don't have the same wig in the correct size :\)

20. Actually, I did call the local PO supervisor about this issue. I wouldn't so much mind if it was just a regular First Class package, but it's EMS, which costs a ton and I want the package to be delivered to my door for the amount I pay. However, the supervisor turned out to be even more of a jerk by saying that she knows FOR A FACT that the guy tried to deliver my package and that she'll always believe her carriers. Lovely. I did register a complaint with the Postmaster General commenting on both the carrier and the supervisor. That incident got me really riled up. I love my regular postman, though, but the guy does need his days off, during which we get stuck with these random carriers who don't even bother to bring an EMS package to the door.