1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would/do your male dolls wear eyelashes?

Jan 7, 2011

1. Absolutely, if I ever get a male doll, he'll almost definitely have eyelashes. I really like eyelashes and I think they're a really fun part of doing the face-up so I wouldn't want to leave them off just because of some silly "societal standard"

2. They do! I love long eyelashes on everyone!

3. I may not own any dols yet, but I would add lashes to both male and female and also top and bottom lashlines. I do like both more realistic and less realistic dolls, but I am a sucker for beautiful eyelashes on the stuff I create, for example my drawings. I´ve seen people also glue individual lashes to the lower lashline at it looked so good! What I wouldn´t do to the males is give them wayyyy too feminine eyelashes.

4. All of my boys have them, but that's because the faceup artist/company put them on. I don't really care either way, but I had to reattach part of one of my mini's eyelashes once and... that is way too fiddly for me. If I did my own faceups, I'd leave the eyelashes off, probably.

5. I plan on putting eyelashes on my male dolls, and my third boy’s most likely coming with lashes already in (He has a company faceup). It looks prettier to me. XD

6. I haven’t put eyelashes on my Granado, mostly because of scale. It would need to be tiny, closely set eyelashes to look right. He has tiny eye openings, with tiny irises. Putting long eyelashes like my girls have would make him look like he was trying out for RuPaul’s Drag Race.

7. All of my dolls have eyelashes. I feel like they'd look a little weird without them. I was changing one of my boys lashes and he looked completely different without them so I guess it'd just be whether you prefer their look with or without, but I prefer them with.

8. Kind of going off of what davri said, I have mixed feelings on lashes on male dolls, mostly due to scale/length issues! I have a few male dolls with varying eye shapes and sizes. All of them have eyelashes.

My Iplehouse SID boy has such small eyes, even though I trimmed the lashes I gave him, they do a fantastic job of casting a shadow on his eyes so they always look like black holes. Sometimes in photos you can't even tell he has eyeballs if the angle/lighting is right. :...(

My Soom Azur is also incredibly small, with eyes even tinier than my IH, and he has factory lashes which do the same as mentioned above despite being far more sparse (though technically the same length as my IH's.)

My other doll is a Soom Gray (whose character uses they/them pronouns) and also has factory lashes... With zero problems. It might be because they have larger eyes in general since they're an MSD and therefor a more "youthful" sculpt? The lashes are thin but long and delicate, half the time you don't even realize Gray has them in photos, they're that hard to see! 8|

If I could get a healthy mix between these two extremes that'd be great?? ;___; I like my dudes with lashes.

9. I like lashes on most dolls regardless of gender. A lot of the sculpts look off to me without the depth they add to the eye area.

10. None of my dolls have eyelashes, male or female. I think they would ruin the flat, graphic look I want to achieve with my faceups- besides, they all have so much black around their eyes that lashes would just be extra work for little payoff. I can't see using eyelashes on anyone except maybe a character that is supposed to be a really classic Jessica-rabbit femme fatale type.

I really think it depends on style. I wouldn't fault someone for toning down or eliminating the eyelashes from one of their male dolls if they thought it would make him more masculine. But I would think that they'd be a must-have for any realistic look.

11. If female or male, humans all have eyelashes. Even a lot boys have longer lashes than girls, so I think that male dolls have to have eye lashes, too!

12. I love male characters with lashes, but didn't want my boy to have them on, I didn't want him to look feminine or even androgynous.
      But once I sent him to face up service and we decided not to do any eyeliner for him, we agreed on how the eyelid area might be too spacey and look strange without any of that so we ended up giving him lashes anyway.
      The lashes were as long as my girl's one but it doesn't seem so apparent, in fact, unless you have a good camera the lens can't even capture it that much!

I think the light colour lashes (in this particular case, brown) is a very good choice. They're not that really noticeable but it gives the sculpt some kind of dimension so the eyelid area isn't too plain. Since you cannot adjust the length that easily (trimming it would make the tip too straight and unnatural) maybe choose the one that isn't too thick to prevent the feminine look as well :3nodding:

13. As a face up artist, I choose the type of eye lashes very carefully. It’s not like you buy them and just put them in. It’s more like choosing the color wisely and think about HOW to apply them in the doll’s eyes.
      To be honest, I would never leave a doll without eye lashes, since it’s just not realistic except for some special reasons.
      There are different types of looks not only for faces, but also for face ups and lashes, so why not adjust every single element?

My boys do not have very eccentric eyelashes, but do have differently styled lashes.

Hunter’s lashes are short but curled slightly.
      Konrad’s lashes are much thinner and straighter.

In the end, it’s a matter of taste. Yet for me personally, I prefer my face ups with lashes (except for the ones with special reasons).

14. Currently none of my dolls have wear eyelashes. Some also don't have a complete faceup and I had to peel off the eyelashes for the ones that had the default faceup because since they were secondhand and older, the glue was peeling off already so I just peeled them off and saved it. Not sure if I'll have them wear eyelashes again when they have their new faceup done. I guess I'll see but I don't see any issue if they wear eyelashes or not.

15. I don't think I'd ever personally use lashes in my mail dolls because almost all doll lashes look like fake lash extensions to me, and I don't have any male characters I plan to shell that would wear fake lashes. Though to be fair, I don't use them often on my female dolls either. It's just so hard to find lashes that look right, and they are such a nightmare to work around for me that I find I don't enjoy taking my doll out and posing because I'm so worried about bumping those fragile lashes. I actually wound up taking them out of the doll I last put them in, because after I put them in I almost completely stopped messing with that doll. I'd rather have a doll with less than impactful lash lines than have vavavoom lashes and a doll I never want to play with.

16. I’m not really a huge fan of eyelashes at all, at least not 3D ones. I would consider it though, I think they look nice on boys!

17. I still think that everything depends on the shape of the face and eyes, and it is from this that you need to depart, when you decide whether you need eyelashes or not. My boy has them, but they are almost invisible, only make his eyes even more expressive, and do not interfere at all.

18. Yep! I usually go for dark, shorter eyelashes .. except for my MSDs who may be pretty boys ! Really depends on the character :D

19. I don't have a male doll yet, but I have thought about this before. I don't think I would put eyelashes on him cause I think that would give him a more glam look that I wouldn't be looking for. However, I may consider shorter, less noticeable eyelashes. I think it really depends on the character and what suits them/the sculpt best.

20. I like eyelashes as part of a company faceup (my FID guy came with them, and they're nicely in scale with his face, and are brown so they look natural). Real guys have eyelashes, obviously, so I don't see an issue with adding them on a doll.

Of course, I can barely manage to put falsies on my own eyes, so they tend to be left out of any faceups I do, regardless of gender. XD