1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would/do your male dolls wear eyelashes?

Jan 7, 2011

1. Yes, because males have eyelashes too D:

although amusingly when I was little I used to draw females with only eyelashes (not eyebrows) and males with only eyebrows (not eyelashes) xD

2. I like eyelashes on male dolls, as long as they aren't too long or dramatic for the rest of the faceup anyway. I don't think eyelashes alone make a male doll look feminine, they just make them look silly if they're too long. I think all my dolls look better with lashes than without, as long as they are scaled appropriately anyway.

Though I like my dolls without eyebrows, or if they do have them they are oddly shaped, so I guess my opinion isn't really a reliable one when it comes to facial hair :lol:

3. Eyelashes have always been one of my very favorite part about face-ups so I absolutely intend for all my (currently male) dolls to eventually have them. As of right now however only one of my boys does since he's the only one with a face-up.

Of course I do know that plans may change since a majority of my dolls have 'sleepy'/'tender' eyes which may make it difficult to add in lashes without it getting too fussy, and I know at least one o my boys could very well do without lashes as he's based after a shark which don't have lashes anyway. In any case I'm sure my fondness for lashes will win in the end anyway and I'll compromise with some very short "boyish" ones.

4. Yup several of my boy dolls have eyelashes actually both of my girl dolls don't have eyelashes because the person who was doing the face-up didn't have any at the time for my little Ally and Dru well she was a LE from B and G so I got the face done by that person. I agree with several other people that boy dolls like girl dolls hsould have eyelashes if possible as like someone eariler suggested that boy humans have eyelashes so...yup that's what I am thinking

5. Dolls without eyelashes look starey alien bug-eyed Rohypnol Casualty-- I can't take it. You need just that wee amount of shadow on top of the eyeball, which you don't get without lashes, to avoid that look.

Human males often have thicker eyelashes than females anyway. I like the way male dolls look with big eyelashes, if their eyesockets are big enough to support them. I find it especially endearing the way Iplehouse gives their massive beefcake EID men these big lush flappy Bambi-lashes. :chibi

But for a smaller-eyed male, I prefer shorter/sparser eyelashes, so that I can see his eyes. I'm spending yea bucks on beautiful eyeballs, & so I don't want the eyelashes to block them from view.

(If you cannot find short/sparse doll eyelashes, you can finagle a pair of ordinary drugstore falsies-- cut 'em up, and glue them way up high inside his head, so that just the tips stick out. I find that the "long-short-long-short" style of lashes works excellently for this.)

6. Of course. It's not like males don't have eyelashes, eh? @_@ Come to think of it, I believe my boyfriend has longer and prettier eyelashes than I do actually. And so same goes for my my male dolls.
      Also, I just like to collect pretty boys in general. They need their pretty boy eyelashes and personally, I think most dolls look weird without them, no matter which gender.

7. My boy has eyelashes because real men have eyelashes. Besides I think they look a little naked without them heh heh

8. Well, my brother has far longer and fuller eyelashes than I do so I'd say it isn't out of the realm of reason for a male doll to have lashes, hehe. I have eyelashes on my guy right now, and when I get him a new face-up, I'd like for him to still have lashes. I don't intend for them to be ridiculously long or anything, especially because he has a small eye shape, so I don't want them to overpower him, but I like him with lashes. :)

9. Yeah... humans guys have eyelashes. I've seen guys with longer eyelashes than me! T-T

So my dolls have them too, of couse

10. I really don't like the look of any of my dolls without eyelashes. My girls have long thick dramatic eyelashes so for my boys I went with plain lashes so they didn't stand out as much as for my girls. For me it just looks nicer and male humans have lashes as has already been said so my male dolls should have them too regardless of looking manly or feminine. I know some people don't like the look of eyelashes on their dolls and that's cool too.

11. All of my dolls have eyelashes, because I think a doll doesn't look done without them. Some of have longer ones than others, but I don't go for curly ones even for my girl, and most have quite plain straight, short ones. For some reason I just don't like eyelashes that curl up on a doll, especially really big ones, and that includes on girl dolls.

IRL, though, cute eyelashes on a guy can be neat. My brother is a big burly rugby player with really curly adorable eyelashes - it's hilarious/awesome.

12. Guys have eyelashes so I think why not? However, I rarely like eyelashes on my dolls whichever gender, unless they are very very tiny and look proportional. I tend to think eyelashes stuck on the top but then painted on the bottom is a little odd...but of course it works in the doll world.
      I only have noticeable eyelashes on dolls if that is their look, that they maybe wear false eyelashes, mascara or it makes their eyes a certain way. Usually having eyelashes darkens the eye colour if the eye socket is small.
      I have very very tiny eyelashes on my Soom Lazule, they need cutting down a little more. I also cut the eyelashes on my Elfdoll Vivien to look more natural.

13. Yeup. My male doll wears eyelashes. Most of the time, in my opinion, they complete a face-up. Also eyelashes don't equal female, femininity. Really though, it's all about opinion and personal tastes.

14. My guy has eyelashes, I think dolls look funny without them :) Well, unless they're doing some thick eyeliner or punk/gothic style.

15. Most of my boys do. My tiny boy doesn't because the face-up artist who did his face up didn't do them. Aric doesn't have them because he has partially closed eyes and they don't really seem to suit him though I have considered it. I might try putting some in and see what I think. I'm afraid his eyes will look completely closed if I put eyelashes in. Noble doesn't wear any either and again he has smaller more closed eyes and that is why I've never put any in.

16. Yup! Otavi wears eyelashes, and I think that all my male dolls will. And so will my female dolls. It does add some realism, plus I just think they look nice.

17. This makes complete sense for most female dolls, I think, but what about male dolls? Do you or would you have them have eyelashes too?

Males and females have eyelashes. I mean, real humans do! I like eyelashes on my males. You really don't notice them all that much, but I still like having them and it seems strange to not have them. I think faceups matter more than lashes... If you put thick eye-liner and lots of eye-shadow on your males, that will make more of an effect than eyelashes. (I should know--I have lashes, but not long or thick ones. I use eye-liner to help that out since mascara wouldn't do enough.) If you don't like your guys to look girly, then don't make the eye-liner on the upper lid look thick and dark, and shade eyes more like blushing the body rather than like wearing makeup... That makes for a more masculine look.

Do you shorten them so they aren't so feminine? Or do you not include them at all, because many 'guy' doll faces look feminine enough as it is?

I use the shortest, least-thick lashes I can find... I have cut lashes sometimes. But I definitely like using lashes.

If you do have them where them, why? Is it to be realistic, or for uniformity's sake, or some other reason?

I think it looks more realistic. All people have lashes unless something is going wrong. It looks more natural to me. But as I said, I don't use super-thick, long lashes for boys. Human men have eye-lashes and can look very masculine.

18. All of my dolls are boys and they all have lashes, that's just how I prefer it. However, looking at pics in the forum, I usually don't notice if a doll doesn't have lashes unless it's actually pointed out. In fact, one of my boys had an eyelash that was hanging half off and I was struggling so much with reattaching it that I tried to pull it off but darn! DOD sure do use some strong glue :? So persevering, I did get the lash reattached, but it wouldn't have bothered me if he'd had to lose them.

The only way to shorten lashes, that I can think of, is to cut them, then they'd look wrong because lashes should taper to a fine end not be blunt.

19. I'm going to have atleast 4 dolls before the year is up and I think i'll put eyelashes on them all. The more girlish males will have longer lashes just because I think long lashes make for a beautiful character but my more masculine characters i plan to shorten the lashes. I really think that lashes help add to the realism no matter if they are short or long. To me that will really help when I use the dolls to draw.

20. Mmm... depends on the mold, I think. my JDF Terra has eyelashes, but the DZ Hong I have on layaway right now doesn't, and won't, simply because his eyes are soooo squinty. He'd look like he was asleep instead if I gave him lashes, I think!