1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would/do your male dolls wear eyelashes?

Jan 7, 2011

1. I would give a male doll eyelashes, everyone has them. Some of my guy friends naturally have the longest eyelashes I have seen.

2. Yes, of course he does :D. He came with eyelashes. They look cute on him.

3. When my doll arrives, he will have eyelashes. :) I plan to have lashes on all my dolls in the future as well.

IRL the eyelashes I am most jealous of and wish I had are usually on guys! A LOT of guys I know have beautiful, long, thick lashes that girls would do anything to have. So to me it's very natural for male dolls to have beautiful lashes :aheartbea

4. My male doll wears eyelashes but I don't like them for him at all...Make he look more girly, but maybe it's only because aren't a short ones

5. The longest natural eyelashes I've ever seen have been on guys, and in my experience, male eyelashes ARE generally longer than female eyelashes. (I think I remember reading something about how that might be evolutionary; males in hunter/gatherer societies needed longer lashes to keep the sun out of their eyes while they were hunting/gathering.) So yes, my male dolls wear eyelashes. :)

6. All humans have eyelashes. As pointed out, Males usually have nice thick long eyelashes. Especially boys :P The thing is that they don't wear eye makeup that accentuates them. When drawing males, at least in comic style, a lot of artists don't add eyelashes. Which is fine in art, but in dolls I think it looks weird. I think it's better to have the doll have the eyelashes, but very little eye makeup, it's more natural in my opinion. Anyway, to answer the question, yes my male doll has eye lashes. I got petite somewhat sparse looking ones. They aren't super styled and combined with little eye makeup well it looks realistic *but*if I was going for a more gothic look I probably would have more styled eyelashes, but no matter what no eye lashes look weird too me :P

7. all my guy dolls have shorter eyelashes and yes it is for the sake of realism

8. Not that I disagree, everyone, but I don't think that comparing human male lashes to doll males counts as a reason. Perhaps one might refer to said statement as a 'realism' reason. However, as VampireAngel13 stated earlier, real people have many features and such that dolls don't. If you were making a specific person from real life, on the other hand, that might pertain to the subject. I just didn't want to get off topic here.

I am fully aware that human males often have thicker eyelashes than females, as I've heard such been said about my brother, but I really don't care about my or his lashes. I don't even know how people see the difference in thickness in real life, but that might be because I'm not a person who pays attention to human appearances unless I'm drawing them.

This is more of a question about your and your dolls' personal styles. It's like with drawings - everyone has lips, but does everyone draw lips on their characters? Many just have lines for mouths, particularly in manga and anime. And on the occasion they do, lips are almost always exclusive to females. Again, it's just a style. Also, though some might argue that dolls 'look weird' without eyelashes, some get along just fine with painted eyelashes rather than attached ones. Any opinions on those?

Again, not trying to put anyone down. I'm just tired of reading that humans have eyelashes (This I know. It's dolls that I'm asking about). I just want to stay on topic.

9. Do you mean painted upper lashes? I don't recall ever seeing any dolls like that. I have seen attached lower lashes. My dolls have attached upper eyelashes and painted lower lashes. I can see them getting by just fine with no upper lashes, especially Lucah and Marley who have more of a "tender" look to them, but I think I'd pass on painted upper lashes and/or attached lower lashes.

10. I added thin brown eyelashes to my Ize, they looked fine.

But then I realised because he wears an eyepatch they would just get crushed so I got rid of them =A=

Neither of my boys have upper lashes. But Nymeria, my girl, doesn't wear eyelashes either and I don't find it odd. She doesn't even have lower painted lashes.

I think part of the reason why it works is the scale, even though men in real life have eyelashes, because of the often exaggerated styling and scale of dolls, such details often get enlarged in proportion and can look odd. We don't necessarily notice people's eyelashes in real life, eyelashes are a small detail of our facial features (made moreso by the fact that eyes take up a much smaller proportion of the face on real people), so it doesn't necessarily look strange for dolls not to have them.

11. I disagree. I do think that using the real world (guys have lashes) is a good reason to share. I am guessing that many of us look outside the doll world for inspiration for our dolls. I have a folder filled with non doll photography that I use as inspiration for face-ups etc... I prefer the boys with long lashes :)

My boy does have lashes and I would always give my boys lashes. I don't think boys look too girly with them but I DO avoid lashes that look less natural. Some lashes have a mascara look and I would not put them on my boy. I don't want him to look like he puts make up on in the morning because that is just not his personality. I also avoid the longer lashes but really none of my dolls have super long lashes because they seem too out of scale to me. I plan to try long lashes on my new doll but that is a young girl. My last reason for putting lashes on my boy is, artistically they tie everything together. The wig and lashes combo merge the whole face-up (texture and color). I find that no lashes makes my doll look more flat and plastic and the wig seems somehow disconnected? Not sure if that makes any sense but that is how I see it.

12. i used to have my dreaming lishe boy wear eyelashes, cos it was fun to photograph from the top, but it hid his eyes which were already hard to photograph, and so i gave up after i sent him off for a new faceup. i was deliberating between him having and not having eyelashes, but in the end decided they weren't that needed so no, no eyelashes. my other doll has a gorgeous faceup by meggilu that i'm trying to take extremely good care of, and i realised i suck at attaching lashes, so i decided not to ruin his faceup by trying to attach them. he looks fine without it anyway. personally, i don't mind if a male doll has eyelashes or not (attached ones, i usually like painted on lower ones ;D) because eyelashes can look badly out of scale if you buy the wrong ones, and they don't always add on to the look of the dolls. sometimes they are...too rigid and make the doll look worse, if you get what i'm saying. by worse i mean, they look less ...in character. i get easily distracted by misplaced eyelashes, and sometimes, you can't help but get frustrated at them. so i figured that if i don't have them on my dolls (male ones only for now) i won't have that much trouble. no upper eyelashes also helps a bit in photographing dolls with small eyes like my dreaming lishe.

the exception i would make is light coloured lashes, which are a contrast to the eye faceup. generally though, i prefer black eyelashes, so the attached ones on top are rather redundant. but if my doll has pale hair or if i want the fact that he has pale hair to stand out, pale eyelashes attached to the top lid would be fantastic. other than that, i don't particularly care if a doll has eyelash or not.

oh, and when i say eyelash, i generally mean the ones on the upper lid that's attached with glue. cos they're really hard to attach D<

13. Why not? It's true that some owners feel that resin!guys with lashes look more feminine, but it depends on the sculpt and the level of realism you're going for, really.

Poppy's individually attached eyelashes are <3<3<3 - they aren't overlong, girly and simply look natural on the doll - enough that I would want to have them on every guy I have in my crew, if only I could (bear to) send them over just for eyelashing. >_>

14. I don't understand what things humans have (exterior things, of course) that bjds don't have. The argument that anime characters don't have lips doesn't apply to dolls. Every doll I have seen has eyes, ears, lips, noses, and all other body parts that humans have (excluding the fantasy dolls, which often have different body parts). We give our dolls hair, eyebrows, and sometimes even facial hair. Not putting eyelashes on male (human) dolls take away from the realism our dolls have. They even have anatomically correct parts to distinguish them as male and female. Not giving a doll eyelashes just seems like laziness- they were either forgotten, or too hard to find, trim, or glue in. The sculptors didn't forget any body parts that humans have, and the faceup artists didn't forget the eyebrows. Eyelashes are, in my opinion, necessary.

15. My female doll has eyelashes, but males (I have 3 now) don't have them on purpose. I tried to put eyelashes on Leo once and he looked sooo girly)) And I struggle for my males to look masculine.
      Many people discover that my males do not wear eyelashes only if this fact is pointed out or seeing them close in person))

16. It sounds truly curious to me because I have more male than female BJD and I have never thought about any of them, whatever the gender is, without wearing eyelashes. I just try to stick to the look of every (Manga and anime already given or own creation) character and I think the combination of several things (Face-up, hair, eyes, eyelashes,...) is what gives you the final result you are chasing. The real fact is all my BJD wear eyelashes since the beginning, the same way all of them have lips, each in a style to fit his/her character. Of course, owner's likes or dislikes usually are the main point to start, but in my opinion, the same male BJD may need eyelashes or not depending on the combination of the several things which affect the result and on how you really want it to look.

17. All my boys have eyelashes, except for one, because he didn't come with any... I think it depends on the sculpt, because for my particular doll, the eyes are more spread apart on the face, and not really "sunken in" so I think eyelashes would look too extreme on him. Long lashes kind of bother me though so I just trimmed them a bit. And contrary to my belief, they don't show up that much in photos, so I'm fine with that. :)

18. I don't mind if someone else's male/female BJDs don't have eyelashes. I think a doll can be beautiful without. All my dolls have eyelashes, because I think they look naked when they don't have eyelashes. I really think lashes enhance a doll and make the face more striking. This goes for tinies and SDs.

Hugs,
      Jolanda G

19. Absolutely, if humans have them so should the male dolls. Actually every girl that ever dated my brother said his lashes were longer and nicer than theirs were.

20. All my dolls have eyelashes, both male and female - they just don't look finished, to me, without them. And in fact I can go to quite some lengths over getting exactly the right lashes for any given doll; one of my Shiwoos is blind in one eye with scars across it, and I used two different colours of eyelashes on him - dark brown for most of the eye, with pale blond just on the parts that are scarred - hair often grows paler over scar tissue, and it was very important to me to get it right, even though most people wouldn't even notice.

But then I do tend to be something of a perfectionist! :)