1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Yellowing prevent you from buying your Dream BJD?

Dec 28, 2011

1. So, I was thinking about this earlier and I tried to find a pre-existing post but didn't find one like this so....
      I personally have a doll that I have now had since I started in this hobby (I was around 16 or 17). He was already yellowed when he was bought for me by my very supportive mother. I'm now nearly 21 and he's going to be here until he crumbles, his forever home is with me.
      Now, I'm curious as I seem to have noticed a "trend" in the community of people shying away from yellow/yellowing dolls. Obviously it's something that's bound to happen eventually whether you lock your doll up in a box in the closet forever, or you let them out on a daily basis for pictures. So my questions are....

1.How do you personally feel about buying an already yellowed/yellowing doll?

2. Would you only buy it if it were a rare doll that you couldn't obtain unless it was on the Market Place?
      3.What happens to your dolls when they do start to yellow?

2. 1.How do you personally feel about buying an already yellowed/yellowing doll?

I wouldn't mind it if the seller warned about it :) I mean, my Narae is a few years old and yellowed like woah, and I knew about it beforehand, but bought her anyway. I love her :)

2. Would you only buy it if it were a rare doll that you couldn't obtain unless it was on the Market Place?

Nah. Some dolls yellow really nicely, some not - it all depends if I like the doll itself, not if it's a rare one. If it looks good even though it's yellowed, I might buy it. If it looks awful yellowed, even though it's rare/super-limited, I won't even consider it. But that's just me.

Nothing. They become yellow ;)

3. 1.How do you personally feel about buying an already yellowed/yellowing doll?

As long as I'm aware of the yellowing. In and of itself I don't beleive yellowing has to be ugly; it's entirely dependant on the way it yellows. Just got an older volks body from '04 which has certainly earned itself a mellow hue without looking bizzare or out of place. In contrast I strongly dislike the way most whiteskin I've seen yellows!

See above, depends on the yellowing. I avoid buying yellowed whiteskin dolls as it is so much harder to discern the exact shade of the resin&I know I'm more likely to be bothered by it.

Only one of my current dolls has and it causes me much tutting and sighing as his head is still paper white while the body is starting to yellow ¬¬. The other I sold but for reasons unrelated to his skintone.

4. 1.How do you personally feel about buying an already yellowed/yellowing doll?
      If the doll is the one I really want, i'll not care about yellowed or not too much.And I think everyone will be appricate to the seller who can mentioned about yellowed or not first.
      Same with above,will depends on yellowing. And I think I will not buy white skin dolls.
      I always put my dolls in their box when I'm not playing with them,so they haven't start yellowing now.

5. How do you personally feel about buying an already yellowed/yellowing doll?
      It's not a problem, al long as I don't intend to make a hybrid and the doll is yellowed evenly and not into a strange colour. Of course the price has to be marked down, though. Even if the doll is LE. I wouldn't buy otherwise.
      Would you only buy it if it were a rare doll that you couldn't obtain unless it was on the Market Place?
      Yes, since I would buy it via the company otherwise.
      What happens to your dolls when they do start to yellow?
      They just yellow. As long as I'm liking the colour and there are no patches or colour differences, I don't try working against it.

6. 1.How do you personally feel about buying an already yellowed/yellowing doll?

I don't mind~ My beautiful AS Yuma had yellowed some when I got to buy him off the Marketplace. As long as the seller states the year when the doll was created and how far the yellowing has progressed I think its perfectly fair for the buyers too~

Not really. o 3 o As long as I like the doll it's al fine whether its rare or not.

. A.;; they... become yellow? I take it as a sign of aging, nothing bad. xD Just the doll/resin growing older.

7. 1.How do you personally feel about buying an already yellowed/yellowing doll?
      o3o S-should I feel somehow? Uhhh excited? For buying a new dolly (new for me) and giving it a new home? >U< Some dolls yellow very very nicely (f.e. I prefer yellowed fairyland dolls somehow o3o At least from what I've seen in pictures hahaha)

I'd buy any doll from the MP, no matter how far it has yellowed (price according to yellowing of course uvu ). I just need to want it >u<

They become yellow, like everyone else has said ahaha 8D

8. I'm also a picky collector and I understand the feeling, but seeing as resin will yellow all on its own, I think that I would go for it. Since the doll is older, I think if might be impossible to find one that is perfectly pristine. Also, I tend to try to think that the yellowing makes my doll unique and gives it character. Sometimes everything feels better if you think about it like that :lol:

9. To be completely honest I don't think the yellowing really shows. The only time a discoloured doll has ever stood out to be unnatural or "ugly" to me was a type of white that turned a greenish colour over time.

10. Not even for a second.

11. Nope. I have several severely yellowed dolls. I don't mind it at all because as my dolls are usually sick-looking, the yellowing fits in with that look. Another doll I have who is really blotchy is never ever naked so it's impossible to tell. I have one beauty-green doll who is approximately the colour of the inside of a cucumber- I think one of his past owners may have put him in a sun-bed- but it's fine because he's meant to look sick and unhealthy anyway!

12. Well, I have one FL head im still really peeved about. I got it to use with a FL body and the head was described on ebay as pristine and no yellowing. Alas, it looks like Pipoos cheese mouse. Dont know how anyone managed to get it this yellow. Never seen any FL dolls get this yellow, and ive seen and owned quite a few. I would never have bought this head if it was represented more honestly.

13. Yellowing doesn't bother me unless it is a horribly bright yellow or even greenish. Or extremely uneve, but simple yellowing itself..no big deal. I actually think a lot of WS dolls look BETTER after some yellowing. My AoD Chen looked so pretty and creamy after yellowing set in, I kind of wish my AoD Gu would hurry up and get some yellowing. lol

14. Thought provoking question...
      I'm not sure - I'm a perfectionist BUT that being said I might compromise for a *dream* doll. After reading the responses on this thread, I understand not all yellowing is blatantly obvious. And I suppose it would depend on the original resin color, too.

15. doll will yellowing eventually so why i should stop buying my dream doll just because every doll gonna yellow in the end? ^^

we can not stop the yellowing , this is the sad part of being in this hobby
      but we can slowing the yellowing by taking good care of the doll

but of course it has to be the 'dream' BJD , because we don't want to buy random doll and didn't bond with them at the end ;)

16. hahaha! nope, it didn't stop me at all. unless you are going to get something brand spankin' new from factory, you have to factor in aging in resin. just part of the hobby....

17. Yellowing would not prevent me from buying my dream doll. I know that once I find him, and I have the money to buy him, the age of the resin will be the least of my concerns. In fact, the yellowing may just give him more character, though I would prefer, if I buy a yellowed doll for the yellowing to be mostly even...

18. It's something that will happen eventually,I'm buying my first doll froma a new company and the resin is really white but no one knows how it will yellowing, I'm hoping it won't get all yellow chicken .

19. For me Yellowing wouldn't deter me from buying my dream doll. Honestly I don't have a dream doll as of yet since I am just starting to learn about the different BJD companies, but I know yellowing is just part of the natural processing of the resin. I personally would just make up a fantasy faceup that would conture to the bjd's yellowing. such as doing someing in blue or purple would look really nice with yellowing as well as pearly colors. That is just my opinion though.