1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Yellowing prevent you from buying your Dream BJD?

Dec 28, 2011

1. All dollies yellow at some point, it's unavoidable. :(
      Some though age well and actually look better with time.
      I admit, I avoid buying dolls knowing they can yellow easily, or turn greenish.
      I loved white resin, but then I found I prefered the way natural resin aged.
      So all of my future dolls will me normal skin.

Sometimes even when your dream doll shows up for sale, it doesn't hurt to pass if you're unsure.
      Another one will show up again eventually. ;)

2. As long as the yellowing is even, I wouldn't mind. And I would rather it have yellowed from age. If the doll has been left out in the sun wearing a t-shirt and shorts, and thus now has a farmers tan.......I'll pass.

3. Even yellowing never bothered me, and if my dream doll was an LE or mold that was discontinued and it was the only way to get him...? I would not yellowing bother me. Even uneven yellowing can sometimes be fixed with some sanding, or disguised completely by blushing, so really that might not stop me either! I got my dream doll three years ago and he was WHITE. He's still the whitest doll I have, but I can tell he's mellowed a tad since buying him. I'll still love him three more years from now when he's even less white <3

4. To me, it would depend on where the yellowing was and what I expected to do for it. A yellowed body or legs wouldn't bother me so much, but if the face was yellowed and I really liked the faceup I may or may not purchase it. Yellowing, I understand, can be cleared up to some extend, but if you're in love with the faceup and it's going to have to go to clear up the yellowing that is extra, added expenses. Of course, if this is your grail doll, yellowing may not matter at all.

5. No. The yellowing is going to happen someday. I've seen some yellowed bjd, and it looks alright to me. And if it's even than it just looks like a normal yellow resin tone.

6. No,only if it's REALLY bad and only on some parts of the body,that would be annoying for me to handle...

7. I've recently bought a very yellowed doll second hand off of an old friend, still with the original faceup. I think she had the doll for... six years? The yellowing is even but horribly obvious, and she was even a bit of an impulse buy. I don't mind the yellowing at all. I actually find it charming.

8. I think that i would buy a yellowing doll. as long as it's even, it could still look natural...

9. Yellowing isn't a big deal to me now,but I was devastated when I found out there's nothing you can do to prevent it. My first doll is sort of yellow even though she's been in her box most of the time,and has never been in direct sunlight. There are some things you can do to make it less noticeable like body blushing,and some people are good with airbrushing and can paint the resin white again.

10. Yellowing really isn't that big of a deal to me so long as the price is low enough.

11. A little yellowing is normal but yellowing past the realm of normal skintones would require a major discount for me to buy and I'd be hoping that I could lessen it.

Something I was thinking about: You know what's lovely about anthros? A resin color that would look "jaundiced" on a human doll is a perfectly reasonable fur color for an animal.

12. Not to me, but I have had one hopeful buyer back out because she was afraid the doll was yellowed too much. Not that I can tell she has. But to each their own. I guess those people will be selling old dolls to replace with newer molds of the same doll if it bothers them that much.

13. I actually love the look of some yellowed dolls, it's kind of like a fine cheese for the eyes, it takes awhile to get used to but then you realize how wonderful it can be if you give it a chance. Course it's all personal preference though. Also back to a older question

1.How do you personally feel about buying an already yellowed/yellowing doll?
      Personally I'm a-okay with with, I would actually enjoy the more natural look, but my parent's loathe the idea

2. Would you only buy it if it were a rare doll that you couldn't obtain unless it was on the Market Place?
      I'd buy it either way if it was my dream doll. Nothing is gonna stop me from at least trying to find it :P

14. Yesss! Unfortunately, yes. Yellowing really bothers me! If I found a limited or rare doll that I had been wanting and I could afford it, I would consider minimal yellowing, but for the most part I would definitely pass up a doll due to how much it has yellowed.

15. If the yellowing is even and not a terribly unnatural color like "beauty green" I might not mind. I don't know, I don't have a dream doll that is particularly old. My limited dolls so far, one is green on purpose XD and the other I snapped up when it came out.

16. It honestly depends on how the doll looks for me. With some dolls I saw that yellowing actually made their skin tone look more 'natural' and suited them better than their original skin tone, but some dolls get a funny-looking tone when they age. So basically it depends on the company and their resin mix.

But if it was my dream doll, I really don't think a bit of yellowing would stop me. I've also seen a lot of tutorials out there to help 'lighten up' a doll's skin tone after yellowing so after some cleaning and body blushing I think the yellow-ness would become a lot less noticeable.

17. Sadly, yes it has for me. I had bought a Luts Delf Shiwoo vampire head in beauty white within a couple of months of Luts then announcing they were going to stop selling the original CP / Delf line. I didn't have the money to buy him a body before the original Delf line ceased sales and was then left to look for one on the second hand market. Now most experienced CP doll owners will know how beauty white ages to a rather unique greenish yellow shade, as had all the bodies I could find on the marketplace so I was turned off both on looking for my boy's body and the idea of keeping his head and hands for fear of seeing them similarly yellow in the future. I now know I will never own the Delf Shiwoo vamp I had hoped for.

18. My dream doll was a Volks Kohya(2004) and I bought him butter yellow in 2009 but I gave him some treatments and now he's more of an ivory color and maybe someday I'll finish the treatments and get him back to the creamy white he started as but for now I'm too lazy and it doesn't bother me much, so no yellowing did not prevent me from buying my dream doll :D

19. If yellowing is slight and evenly why should it become a reason not to get your dream? After all you can allways sell a doll if it's colour will bother you.

20. I myself wouldn't reli mind the changes as it is a natural process, as the doll u like is kept in the box which prevents a lot of possible damages from all sorts of ways~ also the doll will not yellow as quick as the ones on displays and so on.

Well it depends on the medium they use, Volks as the company who initiates the BJD hobby chose to use resin, so every other BJD company follows as the norm~ And dolls like the Dollfie Dream n Obitsu uses the soft plastic that their skin colour will not change that quick like resin, every material has its pros n cons like it would stains easily without being able to remove it like using resin. It also depends on other factors such as the quality of the resin the doll company uses n the resin colour itself, some resin is more durable n do not go yellow/green as quick as some others.

If one day they can find a better material... let's hope for that~