1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Yellowing prevent you from buying your Dream BJD?

Dec 28, 2011

1. unless she was some crazy, bright banana/neon yellow or yellowed really unevenly I'd go for it if it was for my dream BJD

2. If it's even and not super crazy yellow it won't keep me from buying.

3. Nope. I'd just magic erase'em as much as I could, blush em, and say they're just a bit sick :p

4. not really, coz resin will eventually get yellowed in the future. and i find that some dolls will actually "mellowed" nicely and i think they are still pretty =)

5. At this moment yes, I would prefer a non yellowed doll

6. If it was uneven yellowing or really dark yellowing I'd pass on buying my dream doll . I've been waiting for him for a very long time already , so more time really wouldn't matter . If it was slight yellowing (like your dream doll) I'd jump on it !

7. Oh god, if yellowing stopped me from buying my dream doll I would be screwed. XDD Both my dream dolls have been discontinued for quite a while, so unless I hit the absolute dolly jackpot of someone having preserved this doll in a vacuum then they're gonna be at least a little yellowed when I get them. That's the price you pay for having dream dolls that are older models. XD

8. Yes, if they were super yellow. Like they have been left out in a sunny room for many years. I had a Aya head that was yellowed and I always felt I loved her less because of it. She still looked amazing but it made me just a tiny bit bummed.
      That being said I do own several slightly yellowed dolls that I am perfectly fine with because they are yellowed due to age and it is so slight it doesnt bother me. I guess I should say it depends on the type of yellowing, even good, uneven bad and the amount.

9. Nope. It's sort of like getting a puppy and knowing that it will be a dog some day. If you want the puppy you have to accept the dog that it will become too so to speak...and with it all of the years of potential joy and memories it will bring you.

10. A little yellowing would not stop me from buying a doll I want.

11. Yellowing would bother me. I had one that had yellowed a bit and I didn't bond with her right away. Finally I used baking soda on her and it lightened her and I liked her better. I think that it was just the sealent that had yellowed and the baking soda took it off.

12. This is a really nice comparison :aheartbea

13. I understand that all dolls eventually yellow, or mellow, depending on which company produced them and when. If I knew that a limited I wanted was from a batch of resin that turned lemon yellow within a year of being produced even when kept in a box with no exposure to light, I would have no problem purchasing a lemon yellow limited more than a year after it was produced. However, if I knew that well tended dolls of the limited I wanted would not have changed much from their original color within the time frame, I would not buy a doll that looked like a banana. It is one thing to get a puppy, knowing it will be a dog some day, and accepting that it will become a dog, and buying a domestic house cat kitten, expecting it to grow into a domestic house cat, and having it grow into a lion. My opinions might change if I ever wanted a doll that I knew only a few existed in the world, but for now, I will accept yellowing if the yellowing is something to be expected for the time frame.

14. I collect vinyl fashion and character dolls. Yellowing happens over time and I really hate it. But I've not seen a BJD get as yellow as some of the other dolls I have. I guess it would depend upon how yellow? Pee yellow would likely be a deal breaker but a mild case, maybe not. It would depend upon how much value it decreases too. Buying an $800 doll for $150 because it's badly yellowed might be a deal I couldn't resist and what the heck I've been wanting to try the Retrobrite thing anyway, just might under those circumstances.

15. Definitely not, even if the yellowing was really bad, if it was a good enough deal. I'm not afraid of trying to dye the poor thing back to non-zombie color ... I've come to realize that I like modding even if I haven't done much yet, so getting a dream doll and a restoration project all in one would be pretty cool in my book. :)

16. Personally, I would definitely buy the doll if I were in your position. My experience with dolls yellowing from age (as opposed to sun exposure - I keep all my dolls in their boxes 95% of the time) is that the colour they change to is not bothersome. Yellowing from ageing tends to be incredibly even (unlike sun damage, which can be uneven and thus more noticeable). It's also more of an ivory colour, rather than a bright yellow.

17. Yellowing would absolutely not keep me from buying my dream doll! I might want a little taken off the price because of the yellowing, but if the seller was willing to work with me on that I would totally buy him/her. If the yellowing is barely noticeable I might even pay full price. Having my Ultimate Dream Doll would just be that important. :)

18. Yellowing is a fact of dolly life. I had no problem buying my girl when I found her at a great price and fairly yellowed, the thing is for the most part it doesn't look bad. We know they're yellowed, but most people won't. And if I can photograph her and she looks lovely, I'm not too worried about it. If I really love a doll, I'm going to shell out the money as long as its a good price. Good luck! I hope you get a dolly you love!

19. As long as it was even and not too severe I wouldn't even give it a second thought. You could always blush it to hide the yellowing if it was too bad.

20. If it were a doll I had no hope of ever finding again, for example from a company that had folded, then I'd buy a yellowed doll as long as it didn't have a blotchy face (anything else could be covered with clothing, I think). But if it were a doll I might reasonably have a shot of buying brand new from the company some time in the future, then I'd just be patient.

Actually, this kind of happened to me. I wasn't familiar with Soom's periodic resales of their limited dolls, so I made a 'wanting to buy' thread for York. A year went by and I didn't see a single one come up for sale and nobody answered me....until Soom had a winter 'free choice' event that included York! So someone offered me theirs, but I said no thanks because I preferred a brand new doll from the company. Purchasing is safer that way anyway, rather than buying from someone you don't know online. People may exaggerate the condition of their doll even if they're not total scammers, so...

Also I wanted an IOS 'S' and their site showed all their stuff out of stock/sold out. So I made a wanting to buy thread for S. A year also went by and no one was selling. Then IOS moved to a new site and I caught wind that if you bug them about a sculpt you want they might rerelease it. I posted on their Facebook page, emailed them, and posted on both their websites and then they answered my prayers! XD It's funny, but as soon as they were selling S again, I started seeing one or two on the market. But I always prefer to deal directly with a company and buy brand new if I can, so that's again what I did. ^^