1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Yellowing prevent you from buying your Dream BJD?

Dec 28, 2011

1. I can handle a doll getting slightly darker or more pink or olive etc but the whole pee yellow thing that's a bit much for me. I've had vinyl dolls go weird colors but usually it's no big deal unless it's totally yellow. I just cannot like that. It just looks horrible.

2. Most Normal-type skin tones seem to age pretty well. In my experience it's the Beauty White dolls that are prone to being problematic.

I own several CP white dolls, as well as one Soom white (my Emerald King Chalco-), that have gone very green over the years. They're not at all a pleasant color. <_< In contrast, all of my NS dolls... even my ten year-old Volks Tsubakis... look fine.

3. I think my oldest doll was made in 2007,and she has yellowed but it's a natural looking color. You can always do some body blushing to make the yellowing look less noticeable,and there are some useful threads here on DOA about treating yellowed dolls.
      If I were you I would get the doll anyway. A bit of yellowing wouldn't stop me from getting a sculpt I really love.

4. It depends on the price. All dolls will eventually yellow, so unless you plan to sell and rebuy the same mold every 5 years it is inevitable that you will eventually end up with a yellowed doll. I keep my dolls stored in a dark, closed closet, only take them out to play, and never place them in direct sunlight. I think that none of them have changed in color since I first got them, but it would be hard to tell for sure. I know that eventually, however many years it takes, they will yellow, so although I take care of them in this way I also try not to get too paranoid since I accepted the fact that resin ages by yellowing before I decided to enter the hobby.

However, that said, obviously a yellowed doll is not a good deal if you are buying it at the same price as a doll that isn't yellowed. I don't think dolls will turn lemon yellow, but the type of yellowing and how fast the yellowing occurs depends on the resin. So, I would do some research about the doll company first, and that might help give you an idea of what to expect. Maybe a search for Fairyland specifically, or asking in a Fairyland thread, would be more helpful. I know that I definitely decided against buying certain dolls after hearing that the company's tan resin tended to turn greenish with age. And after seeing that a certain other company's blue resin dolls aged to an uneven yellow-green that I did not like at all.

I purchased a yellowed doll head from y!j auctions once before. It was a very old head, from 2006 I believe. I found that the difference was minor and it matched a newer body almost exactly. I knew I was taking a gamble when I bought the head, though, because who knows what setting the seller's camera is on? Color can vary a lot from photographs to real life.

I'm not sure what choice you should make, but I hope some of these considerations can help you.

ETA: By the way, that head was a Volks F-16. I no longer own the doll. My next oldest doll is a K-Doll Kill_U from 2009. I do not think he has yellowed at all, or at least I can see no noticeable difference.

5. From my collection, I would say that SOME companies' resin does yellow while others mellow (age) with time. Some are much faster than other.

Whether you will like it upon arrival that is a personal opinion. However, unless the resin is really banana yellow and that you have a new resin to compare it to I doubt you will be able to tell. The key is that whether the yellowing is even or not. Not even is not a good buy

My Soom BW resin yellows within months even when kept out of LIGHT (AKA hidding in their cushion and boxes). Others like DOD the colors ages from a pink resin to a nice skin like resin color - so in this case I actually want the aging process.

6. I remember someone long-long-ago posted a de-yellowing tutorial... she used Arm & Hammer Baking Soda & Peroxide toothpaste to de-yellow a Narin. I can't find it now, but if I recall, it basically involved giving each individual part a good coating of toothpaste, then a good good scrubbing with a toothbrush, then letting them sit in the toothpaste for a long time. Like overnight or something. Checking occasionally to see if you've reached the shade you want. It didn't result in a completely bright-like-new doll, of course, but it did give the color a noticeable lift.

My snow-white Soom doll yellowed within a year or so, even though I kept the doll draped; my cream-white Soom doll has never changed much (but was a more yellow ivory-tone to begin with). Results may vary, even from the same company.

My Dollmore Amos started out absolutely colorless chalk-white, and has yellowed considerably, but then that doll is 7 years old. I just fix his yellowing in Photoshop-- his faceup is LE10 and it ain't gettin' wiped. When it comes to dolls with a special faceup / edition that you're specifically looking for, yellowing is really a minor concern, because just finding one for sale is amazing enough in the first place.

All my Normalskin dolls happen to be Volks... and Volks Pureskin Normal resin ages SO beautifully! Everyone is a glorious warm ivory, so they all photograph with a glow like Old Dutch Master paintings. Even my leather-clad bad boys look like they were done by Vermeer. There are a couple dolls here who are about 10 years old, and their resin is gorgeous. Volks dolls age so well I don't hesitate to buy them secondhand.

7. I have two DZ white skin dolls from 2008, and in some lights they look kinda yellow, and in other lights the resin color is really creamy and beautiful...

8. So are there skintones that yellow quite more intensive than others ?
      I really like cream white by the company Soom, but when I am going to buy such a expensive doll and it gets yellow, isn' t that frustrating some how?
      And whats about grey skintones (soom has also grey skin sometimes, wich looks very nice) ?
      Do they change aswell? And if are they getting yellowish to or it's maybe more like greening, blueing or something ?
      (Well i hope not xD)

9. My first PukiPuki has yellowed a little bit, and honestly I do not mind it a bit.

10. As long as the yellowing isn't super uneven somehow I would be still be happy

11. I have a yellowed Bobobie Ophelia. She's the color of custard, but I find it to be beautiful. She was a white-skinned doll, made probably in 2006 or so. I'm not quite sure because my friend who I bought her from did not remember. I do know that it was several years before 2009 (which is when my boy was made). She was left out in the sun for a month while her previous owner went away, and didn't know that she'd get hurt. She's also just an older doll, so her yellowing is pretty even. I did get her at a way discounted price, which helped. Often, yellowing can be minimized by a good wig choice or clothing colors. I was privileged enough to be able to see her in person before I bought her. A lot of people like yellowed dolls, but many do not. There's no way to really know until you've seen the doll. All dolls will yellow over time, however. The original skin color can also affect how fast that doll might yellow afterward. The lighter, the faster. Also, tanned dolls will eventually take on a greenish hue. I'd say that if her price is good, it might be worth it. It certainly was for me. But, I'd make sure that the yellowing is even. And, I'd consider that if you didn't end up liking the color, how willing you'd be to dye the doll (or some other way to combat the yellow), or how easy she'd be to resell. Unfortunately, I've only ever seen one yellowed doll. I don't have any experience with Fairyland dolls either. But I hope this helps in some way! I was in the same position with Lily!

12. My sister has a yellowed Kid Delf that I have compared to my newer one (winter 2012-2013) but I have no idea when hers was made. The yellowing is definitely noticeable but in indirect sunlight, it doesn't appear too different. In other forms of light, I can say it appears more on the yellow side than what people would consider a normal skin tone (both resin-wise and human-wise) as it looks just slightly unnatural if you pay attention to it. It certainly isn't bad and like JennyNemesis stated, there is a de-yellowing tutorial (at least one as I've seen another that uses a bit of a different process) somewhere if one is bothered by it. I personally don't mind yellowing as long as it is even.

13. Right now the doll I really want the most is a RS Dai and no, for the right price, it would not likely stop me unless she were a bright pee yellow, and even then I'd still be considering it, lol. The way I see it any resin doll I buy has the potential to change color a bit over time. Worse comes to worst I'm sanding and dyeing or spray painting the doll or trying the retro brite thing. Bottom line I'd still have that doll. I wouldn't be sitting here wanting it. I'd actually have it. Yellowing can be dealt with. I have fashion dolls that eventually yellowed to the point where it broke my heart. But rather than throw away a $150 doll I chose to do something radical. I took off their heads, took out all their hair, spray painted them colors, faced and wigged them back up and made fantasy dolls out of them. I just refused to totally give up on dolls that expensive. I would not give up on a resin doll either. If I really wanted the doll that badly? I'd make it work.