1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would You Buy a Doll with Scented Resin?

Mar 2, 2021

1. It's a hard 100% "no" from me.
      Scented anything sounds like a nightmare. I am incredibly sensitive to smells to the point of avoiding all scented things regardless of the scent so I would never accept a doll (or really anything) that was scented as a gift much less pay for it.
      Dolls made from scented resin would be a major deal-breaker for me much in the same vain of dolls that come from a smoker's home and thus stink of tobacco.

2. My biggest problem with the idea is that I wouldn’t be able to sniff it before purchasing. I also have problems with a lot of scents so if I don’t have the opportunity to test it out before committing huge sums of money I’d want no part of it. Besides, I really just love the smell of resin so I wouldn’t want to change that! Now, if someone were to produce a New Doll Smell air freshener for my car? I’d probably just start throwing wads of cash at them :lol:

3. Imagine a Dollmore Trinity just emitting the scent of strong cupcakes in the corner of a room :lol:

All of these replies are so fascinating! I too suffer from a sensitivity to smells, I just had to ask what others' thoughts would be! The idea of a musky, sandalwood doll does sound kind of comforting though, in a strange way.

4. i can only imagine the scents that would carry after being mixed into resin would make my head spin in a really not good way. that being said, i love when dolls have a little bit of smell on them. i once kept a doll body in a lush cosmetics shipping box for a few weeks while i waited for his head to come back from the faceup artist, and he smelled like bergamot and lavender for months. it was honestly awesome, and i am tempted to recreate this by putting little bags of bath bomb dust in my doll's heads.

5. 'Not sure I'd go for scents actually mixed into the resin itself... I assume it would eventually gas off and go away just like the scent that resin normally has when it's new. Plus I just can't imagine the combination of New Resin Smell and "Vanilla Sugar" or "Floral Paradise" or what-ever being very pleasant. It would probably smell like a chemical spill in a perfume shop to me. :lol:

That said... I do keep natural cedar balls in the drawers with my gang's clothes, and in the chest where I store extra wigs. So, my dolls do tend to have a light cedar scent. It just comes from their outfits rather than their resin, and is subtle enough not to be in-your-face OMGFOREST.

6. I don’t think scented resin sounds very appealing (or healthy) but keeping sachets in the dolls or where you store their clothes *does* sound rather interesting...

7. Man, I'm glad that's not just me! I find coconut "meh," but that artificial vanilla stink that gets put into everything is the most vile odor known to man, and because it seems like people love it anyway, it'd be very likely to get stuck into a doll. And I'd be really irritated if I fell in love with a sculpt, only to find out that it's covered in fake vanilla.

Besides, I'm not in the habit of huffing my dolls, anyway, so either the smell is so light it's pointless unless you're shoving the resin in your own face, or so overpowering it's like a cheap air freshener sitting on your shelf. Both sound unappealing. Better for the owner to pick a scent that's pleasing to them, and store the wig or clothes in a box with a sachet of that, than to shove it down everyone's nose. :)

8. Probably not for me.

I tend to be very nose-blind so when I do finally smell something it's like probably overpowering and obnoxious. And I'm very easily annoyed by scents that are too artificial. It's like the uncanny valley of smells lol

And due to the very online nature of the hobby, it would be hard to smell a doll before hand lol

And I feel like a lot of scented stuff will eventually get kind of gross and stale anyhow.

9. I agree! A tiny would be cute but it just seems odd for a large doll to smell sweet or like a toy lol

10. It would be a strong no for me. I don't like scented candles unless it's food/sweets scented and most floral/nature scented things gives me migraines. Also, I would have to take my partner's sensitivity to 99% of any artificial scented things as their allergies start kicking up as soon as they smell anything too chemical scented.

11. It might make me sneeze, but it's a cool idea! Although, I think it would be cool if they had like a "manly" or cologne scented doll for boy characters.

12. Hard pass based on how many shampoo fragrances I don't like! For floral anyways. I would at least sniff a cookie or maple-syrup scented doll, tho, just to say I did XD

13. Oh my goodness. I can't stop thinking about this and laughing!!!
      :pcupcake:bcupcake:pcupcake:bcupcake

14. That would be a "no" from me. Even if I could sniff the scents before they were applied to make sure I liked it, it would just end up being like the scents in my build-a-bear plush: forgotten, eventually fading away entirely.

15. I wouldn't mind if the resin smell of the resin lasted longer. It smells so good! Resin-scented resin...

16. I'm not a fan of the resin smell, It's okay, but I don't find it pleasant. I don't understand why some people like it. It'd be interesting if my girl dolls had a light floral scent! Something that's not super strong since I am sensitive. I would love it if my YoSD had a light smell of baby powder or lotion. His resin stinks really bad. I don't know why, but it's just him.

17. I am sensitive to smells, so I would prefer they not smell like anything. Some resins I have gotten have that new resin smell, but it goes away soon enough that I can deal with it, but to have one infused with a scent...I don't know that I could deal with that. I guess it would depend on how strong it is.

18. I think it's a cute idea in theory, but it would probably annoy me in real life, especially if you can't choose a scent yourself and a doll you really want is saddled with a scent you hate. I can tolerate most artificial scents but I despise that fake coconut smell and I would be so irritated if a doll I bought came with it and stunk up my room with that.
      Anyway, I kind of like the fresh resin smell (to a reasonable degree... some resin smells are WAY too strong). It's a unique scent that I don't really smell in any other situation so my brain has a positive association with it and the excitement of having a brand new doll. :)

19. I don't think I realized so many were like me, in that they are super sensitive to smells and can get migraines triggered. I guess because at my office (pre lockdown) there were folks that went super heavy on cologne and perfume, and I sometimes had to leave early because of resulting headaches.

I can deal with light smells like a light candle as long as it is gourmand but most things are a nope.

So, I think it's a cool idea (such as the mentioned tiniest) but it's not for me, and I agree that the smell would likely just fade out anyway.

20. Optional mild scented doll? Why not! I had this scented retro mlp and first few days I had to put her outside (way too strong smell!) but now she is in my vitrine with my dolls and I kinda like that apricot (?) smell on my dolls.

So yes if it's optional and not that strong smell :D