1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would You Buy An Unstrung Doll?

Jul 4, 2019

1. Personally no, unless it was a really rare doll or something, I wouldn't. I can restring dolls if I have to but I absolutely hate it, even after several years in the hobby. Whenever I see that a doll will be sent unstrung it turns me off from buying it... :sweat
      I bought a body from Bluefairy a couple years ago and got it unstrung to save money, but that was the only time I bought an unstrung doll. Unfortunately that was also the worst restringing experience I've had because I had lost my restringing tool. My boyfriend helped me out but I don't remember how we ended up doing it, maybe with ribbon? In any case it wasn't as effective as a stringing tool AND I had managed to cut the elastic too short so it was difficult to string her for that reason too (I didn't have any extra at the time either). So yeah, I get that restringing isn't necessarily complicated or "hard" but I always end up having issues with it personally... :XD: I would much rather get my doll in one piece and be able to pose/play with/display them immediately.

2. I think I have bought more unstrung dolls than strung ones at this point xD Obviously it doesn't bother me. I nearly always restring my dolls when I get them anyway because I'm quite particular about how loose I want them (usually looser than how they are sent to me!).
      I will say that the one thing I miss is the excitement of getting a BIG DOLL BOX in the mail. It triggers something in my brain that just makes me insanely giddy and happy when I see a SD size doll shaped box. Also, pulling a full doll out of the box and unwrapping it is very exciting as well, even if I do end up taking it apart to restring after. And even though it is inconvenient for storage I do quite like to own the original box, especially if it is an old doll.
      Hmm. I think if I was given the choice between unstrung or fully strung with the original box, unless the difference in shipping was very significant, I would go for the fully strung doll. But I am definitely not put off by unstrung dolls in the slightest. (it just slightly annoys/baffles me when some sellers don't think to label the parts when they're wrapping them! Such an easy thing to do and saves so much confusion on my end!)

3. Absolutely! I unstring and clean all dolls I buy, whether second hand or new. If the doll is sent securely packed and unstrung this actually saves me some time.

#63 beatnik, Jul 8, 2019
      Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    4. I personaly would prefer strung doll as I want also the original box most of the time and the feel after unboxing is just better. But it's true that unstrung doll in smaller package can avoid customs in my country so it can be a great option in some cases.

5. Although receiving a complete doll is more festive in a way, I have no issue buying an unstrung doll. I have saved a LOT on shipping in the past; although the size of the box doesn't matter at all in my own country, this is different in f.i. the US. And if it's a body, chances are that I will hybrid and need to take the body apart anyway (I hybrid a lot where I need to add or remove Fairyland neck connectors). So it's fine with me, although if pushed I would say I prefer to receive the doll or body already complete.

6. I would prefer my dolls to arrive strung; I think if they came in pieces I would be too likely to leave them that way.

7. In short, no. And especially not just to save on shipping costs.

8. One of the first things I tend to do with a new or new-to-me doll is restring it (I'm picky about the way dolls are strung), so getting one unstrung means less work for me! I will always choose unstrung.

It did backfire on me once, a million years ago, someone sent one unstrung and didn't include any of the string or s-hooks...which sucked.

9. I don't see why not! I've had to restring brand new dolls before- when I didn't like their tension- as well as restring them for just general maintenance. I've also gotten the pleasure of unstringing everyone, bubbling wrapping the whole lot and shipping that big old box across country just to unwrap and restring all of them with the roommate- so one doll isn't exactly a huge heart break.

Though, on the side note- I really like to have the company boxes, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker not have one.

10. I don't mind at all! Restringing can be a bit of a hassle but it's not really a problem IMO. I'd love it if it decreased cost honestly! And I have done that with artists in the past as well -- though the doll in my mind was one I ordered unstrung but it came strung anyways.

11. I've bought unstrung dolls before and I don't see why I wouldn't do it again. I'd only be wary if the doll didn't come with the elastic or something, even though I'd probably go for it anyways if it was something I really wanted.

Unless it really cheapens shipping, however, I prefer having the doll in one piece.

12. I'm the same as @Aboost if they come to me unstrung they'll probably stay that way. For me this comes both from not a lot of experience with re-stringing, so it makes me nervous to do, and how overall lazy I am. I'm willing to pay extra shipping for the convenience of not doing it myself. Dolls are my slooow hobby so my take my sweet time with everything :lol:

I do want to eventually restring and suede everyone, but for me this is enough of a Thing that I'll just make one or two big days out of it.

13. So agree with all of this. Definitely the "slow hobby"!

14. As long as the stringing items come too anyway (elastic, hooks), I think I’d be okay as long as everything was still protected. Depends on how much I want the doll.

15. It seems a little scary, but I think I'd go for it if the savings were good enough. I'd probably pass on an unstrung doll over minor savings, but something like 20 dollars or more and I'd probably go for it. I might be more hesitant on a complex doll, like you said, but at least for a normal doll where it'd be easy to find detailed tutorials, I'd go for it.

16. I never buy a unstrung doll. I'm too lazy to do that lol.
      A strung doll is more suitable for me.

17. No. As my hands are bad I would not be able to do any re-stringing so I only buy dolls that are already strung

18. Would and have. I tend to take second-hand dolls apart and clean/restring them anyway, so getting them unstrung is saving me a step as well as postage. As long as the parts are organized and packed neatly and safely, I'm happy with an unstrung doll.

19. Nope. I have been in the hobby eleven years and have never restrung a doll. I can do faceups, and make wigs, and I sew like an angel , but for some reason re-stringing intimidates me. I have a friend do it for me.

20. It's pretty interesting to see the responses seem fairly split! I would have thought that strung dolls would be preferable by far. Shows how much I know! ;)

Right now, I would never buy an unstrung doll as I'm terrified of the stringing process; but maybe once I'm not as green that could change.