1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would You Buy An Unstrung Doll?

Jul 4, 2019

1. I used to be terrified of restringing, and I've only ever changed a few hands, but I think I would be brave enough to give it go should a doll I really want come unstrung. What is the worst that can happen, I do it wrong and have to redo it. I do prefer them strung if I have a choice.

2. I have pretty bad arthritis but it doesn't stop me from stringing! The right tools make such a big difference and I just have to wait for a "good day" for my hands to do it like with painting. It isn't that hard once you get the hang of it and it certainly can save a nice chunk of change on a doll with expensive shipping. I'd prefer unstrung to strung too tightly anytime.

3. Nope. I’m too clumsy to try to string a doll on my own. I’d mess up big time.

4. I personally would buy an unstrung doll but I'm a big 'do it yourself'er haha. I've also had experience with restring and have broken stuff before. That experience has helped a lot :)

5. Same! Haha. It's also a sense of accomplishment!

6. A doll being unstrung wouldn't stop me from purchasing. They can get packed more securely if in pieces than all strung up. It also stops s hooks from getting jammed inside neck holes. (it happened once and I was forced to unstring them) If the pull of elastic is too much that's when you enlist an extra pair of hands to assist you ;)

7. Maybe?? I've restrung 1/3 and 1/4 dolls, but smaller than that seems like it would be a challenge. Or, like, for non human dolls? I have a Cuarto wolf and I could barely get her head loose to change her eyes so I can imagine trying to figure out how to restring her properly would be something of a nightmare.

8. I prefer already strung dolls. It's not because I can't restring a doll it's because it's here and it's ready to dress, wig etc. I like the instant gratification I get from taking a full doll out of the box.

9. Nope! I never would but that’s only because of my lack of knowledge and experience messing with strings and such

10. I wouldn't buy a doll unstrung. I'm too scared to string a doll without someone in person to teach me. I also get this sharp pain in my dominant hand (pretty sure it's a damaged nerve from a blood draw gone wrong) so it may take me longer to string, which makes me sad thinking about it.

11. Yes, if I had to and it made it cheaper. I always give the that option when I sell a doll because it helps cut down on shipping sometimes.

12. I bought a body secondhand that was shipped unstrung so that was an adventure learning how to restring it but having it come unstrung saves you the time. I don't mind either way, whichever is easier.
      I've had to restring a few bodies for some of my dolls and without the proper tools, it's difficult >.< But that didn't stop me.

13. Honestly, yeah I would if I liked the doll enough. The first day I got my MSD boy home, I had to restring him cause I accidentally untied the knot trying to get his head back on. It was scary but I got him back together eventually and now I can do it with ease and not really worry about it. Long as the pieces are marked via bubble wrap "left" or "right" I'm good!

14. I wouldn't mind and if it's a used doll, I take it apart to clean it anyway, I like to wash them when I get them. I partially unstrung my first girl the day I got her to switch her bust part so I kind of just jumped in and did it, restringing most things has never bugged me. I've unstrung, coated and restrung a few dolls for other people too, some people are just really hesitant to mess with strings. But I do have a mature 1/6 kit doll that I bought new and unstrung and I have never assembled and strung her! So I'd say 1/4 scale and bigger dolls, no problem.

15. Prefer unstrung, cheaper shipping and more easily protected. My post office may or may not like to chuck packages

16. I've un- and re-strung my own dolls to clean them, so I wouldn't be totally against buying a doll unstrung, as long as the seller provided the elastics for the doll as well. I don't know that I'd be willing to buy a special body unstrung though, like a centaur or something like that. That's a little out of my depth, LOL.

17. I don't mind restringing dolls, and wouldn't mind buying one that needs to be strung -- HOWEVER, I would absolutely not buy any Fairyland doll unstrung. They have all those bits and pieces and parts with notches that have to be just right. The last time I had to put one back together (even with the right tools: correct elastic, forceps, string puller, etc...) it was a huge pain and the doll never did seem 100% right to me (mobility-wise) afterwards. Just about any other company seems easy in comparison.

18. I think of myself as a newbie in this hobby, but posts like this make me reconsider it...

I have no qualms at all about buying a doll unstrung. I'd prefer they come with elastic, but I don't care that it's in them or not. I'm very comfortable with restringing and I'm kinda picky about tension so I'm likely to restring the doll soon after unpacking them anyway.

If it's an unusual doll like a centaur or something I might prefer to buy it strung so I can see how it goes together...But honestly, unsprung wouldn't put me off of it. Unless it's a REALLY obscure artist doll I'm sure SOMEONE on this forum could tell me how to string it together. And even if no one but the seller knew the secret, I could ask them.

So yeah. Unstrung is totally fine with me.

19. My first doll was in a soom xmas kit. :XD: I didn’t realize that it was supposed to be daunting to try for the first time. I strung and unstrung her a few times to get the hang of it. I still restring after my dolls need a bit of washing because it’s worrying to get the elastic wet.

Someone recommended hemostats, more than one, and a good restringing tool. I made sure to always have some fabric between the clamps and resin. That helped tremendously. :thumbup

Don’t feel daunted! Just make sure your hands are ok to do it. <3

20. Personally i would prefer a strung doll to prevent issues with may come about during stringing. Also, a strung doll would save me the hassle!