1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would You Buy An Unstrung Doll?

Jul 4, 2019

1. I'm a strong learn-by-doing person, so I suppose I'd like to get my hands dirty and work on learning to string before soing anything else. Cheaper shipping motivates me to do a lot of things. So long as I had the right kind of string handy I think I could do it, especially if I had a helping hand (or tool) to assist with the legs!

2. I prefer the doll to be fully strung when I purchase it. However, if it was a very rare doll that I absolutely wanted and it was sold un-strung, I would probably buy it.

3. I wouldn't have a problem to buy a "normal" (Yo-SD or bigger, human-shaped with no strange features) doll unstrung as I have a lot of practice restringing with my dolls (I'm a very picky person and I change their string every once in a while when I believe their are not behaving to my liking.

But I wouldn't save in shipping with it because the collector in my usually needs the original box to be satisfied and that's something I know has an extra cost.

4. I would not buy because I have no idea how to put it back together

5. I only collect human dolls, so I have no issue buying and unstrung doll. In fact, I have done it before. The previous owner didn't have the original box anymore, so she suggested to send her unstrung to save on shipping. :)

6. Maybe....? The idea of stringing a doll for the first time is daunting. I'd maybe wanna find someone experienced who could do it for me.

7. i've bought both strung and unstrung and i really didn't care. if i like the doll i will buy the doll, simple as that

8. Considering I've never restrung a doll and I've dealt with my Little Gem's crazy legs and other issues for years now... No, not until I get over my fears. I can't imagine putting a doll together by myself. I'm afraid I'll damage it, plus I haven't the slightest clue how to make sure it's not too tight or loose and I don't have the patience for trial and error in general.

Now, if I ever learn to assemble BJDs by myself, for the sake of convenience I'd still prefer to buy assembled dolls (unless they're strung as badly as the aforementioned Little Gem, thanks Soom! :lol:) but I'd buy an unstrung doll if it was the only option.

9. I can’t buy a doll unstrung I’ll pay whatever the shipping costs! I’m honestly terrified of stringing, but i also haven’t owned a doll before so I’ve never really experienced or practiced it to be comfortable with restringing an entire doll back together haha

10. I prefer a strung doll, but I do realise that it's probably cheaper to unstring dolls for shipping - especially the larger ones.

11. Stringing a doll is not a problem for me, so I often buy unstrung dolls or bodies if the seller does not have the original box, for example. Then it is more safe to send the body unstrung, when every part of it is carefully packed.

12. For me, I could never see myself buying a doll unstrung. :eusa_naug

13. I don't think that I would buy one that I would hsve to restring.
      I have hands that sometimes have issues with small things and cramping. So, I don't think I would be able to do it.

14. It really depends on the size and complexity. I always restring my dolls when I have the energy and time after getting them, at least once before I do anything with them. If it was a tiny doll, like 1/8, 1/12, something like that, I would get it strung, then unstring and restring. I wouldn't buy it unstrung, because then I would have to figure out how the string it the best way without damaging anything. I trust the company to find that first. Same with complicated fantasy dolls, my centaur is strung pretty oddly, at least compared to my human dolls. For a doll that's pretty straightforward, like a human that isn't, say, a Souldoll that has three strings instead of two, I would go ahead and buy them unstrung. There's only so complicated two strings and four limbs can get. I would definitely prefer to have their elastic untied, though, since I don't want the loop to have "relaxed" and now be too difficult to pull through. My fingers already hate me for yanking on strings :XD:

15. Sure, I'd buy one unstrung. Most of the dolls I have are tinies, so stringing them isn't such a pain as on the big ones. Even if the doll had extra parts, it would be okay, although I'd hope there was a diagram for stringing to make it easier.

16. Right now, no. I feel like I don’t have enough experience to restring one. I know it’s cheaper and I want to learn how so I can thouroughly clean my doll and glue suede it if necessary. I would probably start simple and work my way up by taking apart a small doll and filming it so I know all the parts and then put it back together.

17. While I do prefer to receive it strung, I’d buy a doll that is unstrung. Ive taken most of my dolls apart at some point anyway so it wouldn’t bother me. I’d definitely be up for the challenge of a fantasy sculpt, but only if I have a few reference images to see what they should look like inside and out so I don’t mess something up.

18. Because I've unstrung and restrung my dolls a few times to get them how I like them. I wouldn't mind buying an unstrung doll! At least I can string it to the tightness I like.

19. I definitely wouldn't mind buying an unstrung doll if it saves on shipping.

20. I think I could maybe attempty stringing a doll! But I'd much rather prefer it is already done.