1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would You Buy An Unstrung Doll?

Jul 4, 2019

1. I bought dolls unstrung a couple times, I am even currently getting a brand new doll unstrung (Rugged Realism Epsilon)! I had never strung a doll before either, and honestly I was very confused about all the narrow holes at first too, but the seller of my first unstrung doll was kind enough to ship him with strings ready. That's worth asking, then you don't have to go completely by guessing and if the results are too tight/loose for your liking, you can just move the knot.

I managed to string both my Venitus by myself, but it required all my four limbs and a stringing hook (that was too wide to go through arms and calves, but helped a lot inside the torso as I string dolls starting from foot.) I actually pulled back the previous part with my toes while pulling the string through the next part lol. I also used a crocheting hook for the arm parts.

2. as long as it came with the elastic and s-hooks i'd be fine with an unstrung doll! especially if it saved on shipping.
      i tend to take apart my dolls when they first arrive and give them a good clean anyways, so really it would just be more convenient for me.
      i feel like an unstrung doll might also be a little safer during the shipping process, which is another plus.

3. I definitely wouldn't mind buying an unstrung doll even if I've never had the chance to buy one unstrung before. I've restrung all of mine over the course of my life in this hobby. It really helps to learn how they're put together and it's also quite fun figuring out the engineering of the different companies. :D

4. Sure, it saves shipping and custom fees. In my country we pay 12% for a strung doll and only 4% for doll parts.

5. I don't buy unstrung dolls, mainly because I don't have the strength any longer to restring them. That said, when I'm selling I've often had people ask me to ship the doll unstrung. It definitely saves on shipping.

6. Some dolls I'd rather come unstrung. The doll assemblers sometimes string them so tight it is ridiculous and can damage parts of the doll. Also I like saving a bit on shipping unstrung dolls since USPS charges for longer packages:roll::vein.

7. I think I may be okay with an unstrung doll, but mostly if there is documentation on how to string them online or if I could find a picture of the strung doll. If they provided elastics for the doll as well I'd probably be more likely to buy one

8. Yes absolutely unless it's a Fairyland doll which are a huge pain to restring I have always found. Specially the LittleFees!! Misery. :eek:

9. i did once and ive never strung her bc the seller lost a part as she was boxing her up to ship to me and soom wont tell me if they can give me a replacement part or not. im at the point where im considering learning to hand cast just so i can put her together.

10. In the distant future when I'm more experienced with resin dolls, absolutely.

11. I mean never say never, but I don’t see myself ever getting an unstrung doll. Stringing a doll sounds very complex and like something I would struggle with as I do lose patience quickly with intricate tasks! But to those who see opportunity in an unstrung doll, power to ya! If I knew how to, I might be into it!

12. I'm the same way! With only one exception, I've unstrung every doll as soon as I've gotten it. I restring my dolls fairly often anyway, and I'd love to get a kit version of a doll! That seems so old fashioned nowadays.

13. I wouldn't prefer it unless it drastically lowered the price, but if it was a rare enough doll I'd do it.

14. I still consider myself "new" and only being familiar with a couple of doll body types, I'd much rather purchase my dolls already strung. Even if they string up job is loose and needs to be tightened, at least with that I can see how the doll is put together and go from there. Figuring it all out from scratch is horrible. I received my Bash back from the face up artist and even though I was familiar with how he is constructed, I still ended up putting his shins on backwards and had to start all over!!

15. Is it rare? Then yes. I wouldn't buy one just because it is cheaper. It wouldn't be worth the discount for me. I would buy a rare doll that I have not seen any other way.

16. I'm not confident in my stringing ability at all, so it would have to be at a large discount for me to consider it.

17. I've bought dolls unstrung several times. I wouldn't necessary say I prefer it, but I learned how to restring dolls early in my hobby life so it's never really phased me to open up a box of bubble wrapped pieces ^^; I think the only downside to me is that I love dressing up new dolls so when I have to assemble it first I feel a great sense of anticipation and usually end up rushing the stringing instead of having fun with it.

18. I bought a few unstrung dolls in the past. Sometimes it has become difficult for example I had an old Super Gem body and those are strung differently from the normal way which I was unaware of so the doll ended up being strung incorrectly for a time until my friend showed me the correct way.

19. Strung, unstrung, doesn't matter much to me as long as the seller packages it properly. I can see it being a downside to those not well versed in stringing a doll, but besides that it's a great way to save on shipping and the seller doesn't have the hassle of having to drag a big box to the post office.

20. In a heartbeat, if it saves a lot on shipping or the seller doesn't have the original box. Older dolls will probably need to be restrung anyway. Elastic looses its stretch over time.