1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you buy broken or damaged dolls, from the company?

Sep 4, 2008

1. i don't have an answer if i would buy "defective" dolls, but i would think that a companies hesitancy in doing so would be this:
      -the companies are in great competition with one another to sell unique,beautiful,quality merchandise. i don't think they would want that the defective merchandise to be representative of the quality of their work.

what i mean is,what if you saw someone's "flawed" doll and asked "gee, where did you get that"? and they told you......you might think that was a bad company.

i don't think any artist would sell a piece of work that wasn't up to their standards just because they didn't want to have waisted materials in creating it.

sorry, i got a little OT but you got me thinking about this!

2. miss ally: Thats a very good point.

3. it depends on how broken it would be,
      and what sort of damage..
      but if it was a fairly "simple" problem like uneven tanning etc i'd buy...
      mostly cause i love working on details so a doll that needed work would be fun

4. Of course I would. Almost all of the dolls I own now were bought broken.

5. Old library books have a stamp that says "withdrawn" to show they are no longer in the library system, and I could see a company having a similar stamp they could put inside a factory second, and then sell it to a clearing house.

I buy my appliances, clothes and linens from factory outlets, and I think it would be fun to mess with similar doll parts--modding, dyeing and generally fooling around with them, without thinking "OMG I'm applying Rit dye and glitter to a 600.00 item!"

6. That would be cool! I would love to try my hand at fixing a broken doll :D

7. Absolutely. I did this a long while ago with a company that made porcelain dolls. I bought 100 lbs of broken dolls and got many usable dolls from the pieces, although when I was sorting things out the living room looked the the aftermath of a zombie massacre. Heads, legs, arms, torsos in piles everywhere.....

8. I think there would be a market for "less than perfect" dolls or parts. It might be fun to experiment with uneven resins or practice face-up and mods on parts. Many retail stores have outlet stores, so I think there's potential there. However, given that most people think of their BJDs as a form of art, I tend to think that many doll companies value their craft and reputation too much to set out to sell people these inferior items. I could totally be wrong, of course.

9. Miss Ally - I assume that a person would explain that the company sells defective parts as well if asked that question. Nobody would just leave it at "I got this reject from so-and-so for $X." Okay, maybe some people would, but even then they'd get the question "Why?" which could get others interested.

Whether it be intrest like "Can I buy it when you've fixed it up?" (Which would get a response like "Y'know, [company] sells actual dolls in addition to the reject parts. You could buy straight from them!) or "That sounds fun!" (Response would be "Yeah! You can get the reject parts at [company]!")

Like I said, I doubt anybody would just be like, "Yeah, they sell crappy reject dolls/doll parts." and leave it at that.

Edit: Or we could all go digging around in the dumpsters closest to the company. :XD: We'd probably get reported once someone overheard a cry of "Awesome! I found a head/arm/random body part!"

10. I might, if the price was low enough and I wanted to experiment with more . . . daring mods. As it is I'm not much for modding or "fixer upper dolls", though it would be fun to try if the risk was not so high (i.e. a $600 SD). And working on a flawed doll would be a great way to bond with it, at least for me. ^_~

11. It depends on the damage but if it wasn't very noticeable, especially when the doll's clothed then heck yes, I'd buy one.

12. I love the concept.

I suppose it would depend on whether its values as an "art-producing" company, or its practical business values are of greater importance to a doll company. Because I believe there's an obvious market; they could make more of a profit, or, at best, recoup some of their losses. It simply makes sense.

The dolls could have special names, such as "Damaged Event Head," or part, etc. Or at least, if someone asked about the mold, and saw defects, the name would immediately identify it separately from the company's normal line of dolls, instead of associating such flaws with the company in general.

13. I guess I understand the idea of not wanting to sell dolls that aren't up to standard, but I personally wouldn't mind buying a slightly damaged doll. You could do some really interesting mods with some slightly "broken" dolls, I feel. Or if the part that's defective is something you were going to mod or replace anyway, that would work out nicely.

I doubt they'll ever start selling the defective stuff, but it would be cool if they did.

14. If the discount was fair to the damage, I totally would - for a number of reasons. They would be great to practice or experiment with, not only with modding and other aesthetics, but even just for something simple like sizing clothes or accessories.

Good points also. I doubt I would ever consider selling something that to me seemed incomplete or flawed, but I've also never considered anything I've created as a material for art or as a resource as opposed to just...internal arty brain spew, or something for display or enjoyment.

15. Definitely, it would be great to have a relatively cheap hunk of resin to practice different modding techniques on

16. Yes, I would.
      It would be a great piece to practice on, especially for modding!

17. It is a very interesting questions. As a tanned skin tone doll lover, I would love to have such options of buying those defected items. However, the resin's color may vary, so it is hard to judge just by the pictures on the website, but I would need to check it in person by comparison....unless I am willing to take the risk. And that would mean that the price tag must be a friendly one.

From the point of view of the manufactuers, I do not think they would willing to do so. If everything could be fixed by buy replacement, the business of buying a whole new dolls would be dropped. I guess most of us have to save up alot of even to sell a kidney, like me,to get one set of BJD. That would not be a wise business decision, unless they are target to a different market.

Having said that, I would love to buy some extra parts for broken parts of my dolls, if any is available with reasonable price tag.

Thank you very much for bring up this topic!

18. I wouldn't buy anything that wouldn't be fixable... and not-fixable to me is like... broken fingers and such. If they have extra parts with like... air bubbles and such, or uneven tanning? Sure!

19. I think I would! A little damage isn't too bad especially if its something that could be fixed with a little work. Tan dolls are too pretty to just be discarded =)

20. i probably would, for pratice and what not on my free time.