1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you buy broken or damaged dolls, from the company?

Sep 4, 2008

1. Yes I would!!! I would totally do that!!! As long as the company clearly states and shows the damage on the doll, I would totally snatch up a "rejected" doll. I think I could really love a flawed doll that I have to fix myself. :)

2. yes i would love some, in fact i might email and few companies to get one. i plan to mod alot of my dolls so they look deformed or have diseases anyway. :)

3. Yes, I would, I would!!! :) I like my dolls with little small imperfections. So, I think I would be okay with bigger imperfections as well. And for low price - great :)

4. I would! If it was super discounted! In some other thread somewhere I said there should be a dolly outlet mall where the less than perfect can be sold for cheap! Some flaws I can live with, it's fine :)

5. i would love to buy a broken/imperfect doll- for one, i love rescuing dolls (and stuffed animals for that matter), and two, it would make that doll super unique! Almost like they create their own character themselves by coming to you with inherent limitation or flaws that are their own individual differences.

6. I think that I would, depending on the damage and price. Nothing like giving a second chance to a doll in need :) Like you said all they'd need is some fixing up.

7. Hmm, it depends. I think I could go for that as long as the damage wasn't to the face (or could be covered up with a clever faceup).

I mean, people already give scars to factory-perfect dolls, so why not :D?

8. I agree with NicoleLynn on the extent of the damage & the price. Obviously I wouldn't want to buy a broken doll for the same price as a 'saleable' one. And some damages I know I wouldn't be able to...make better? But I would do it. I have a need to 'rescue' things...whether they be dolls or half dead plants from WalMart, lol

9. Sweet_pie, I was about to do it myself ... to a company I love and already in touch with by mail. But I'm not really sure how a designer would react if I told him :Hi I can't afford a real beautiful doll of yours but I would love to buy a damaged one you would put to trash... how much ?

This is rough and ... maybe it will be misunderstood...

M

10. Well, you could do what I did with Paradise Galleries.

"Hello, my name is X and I am a customiser. I was wondering what you did with the damaged, broken, or imperfect parts, and if you would be willing to sell them by the pound to me. I would be perfectly willing to sign an agreement to ((whatever is appropriate to your situation here)) {never sell them/never sell them as company X/sell them only has heavily modified company X}."

I ended up with 200 lbs of damaged dolls, and still have an awful lot of parts.

The worst they can say is no.

11. I think that actually depends on the execution of HOW you sell the broken things... I'm thinking specifically of a glassware company I'd like to buy a piece or two from, specializing in Klein bottles. They list several sizes and varieties of Klein bottle on their site, as well as "Klein bottle puzzles." Don't know if they sell them, but the humor factor alone makes it worth having the broken bottles on the site.

As for buying broken dolls/doll pieces, I think I"d be interested, too. I've got some mods planned for one of my dolls that I've been kind of scared to start, because I really don't know what's going to happen. It would be nice to be able to get damaged pieces to practise on, or whole damaged dolls to rescue and mod without much fear.

12. Yes, I would love to, but let me tell you why big companies (Luts, Volks, Dollmore, Custom House, etc) will never do this:

Shrinkage. All you people out there who ever worked in retail should know this word. If the dolls are up for sale to people like this, it means that they're also up for sale to the workers in the companies. Target and Walmart and other major retailers THROW AWAY broken items in most cases. Instead of trying to repair them (like electronics and whatnot) they are literally thrown into the trash, or if it is a defect, they are sent to the distributer. Seems like a waste, and it is, but the reason for it is legitimate and smart.

Let's say I'm dishonest, like so many people in the world are (sadly), and I want one of the brand new F-40's that Volks has just come out with! And I work in the factory.. but I don't want to pay $1000 for him! And I know that our policy is if the doll is broken, it's 50% off.. well, I can afford $500! So I accidentally snap off one of his fingers. Oops. Broken doll. And then either I can purchase him, or a friend of mine outside the company can purchase him for me. And I've just 'stolen' from the company, even though I paid for it, I didn't pay retail, and it was damage I caused in order to get the discount.

There's no way to ensure that this doesn't happen, so most major companies simply impliment a rule that all damaged items get thrown into the trash. I say most because there are some companies out there that don't (so don't reply with 'That's garbage, *I* work for Blahblahblah, and *WE* don't throw things away!) because guess what? :) I don't care. Most major companies practice this wasteful policy, but they have to, in order to keep from losing even more money, sick as that sounds.

13. If that was the case, they would just sell the broken doll hand, not the whole thing.

Parts: yes
      Whole dolls: a little ridiculous lol

14. no never ><
      unless of course it was dirt cheap:3nodding:

15. Sure! As long as the face hasnt been mutilated and the price is a bit lower then I don't really mind. :)

16. I'd go for pretty much any of them lol.
      I love buying half broken things and fixing them up. In fact i have legs, hands, feet, a head, etc...ALL from different companies..unwanted by their owners.

And i intend to make a OOAK hybrid out of them :p

17. I certainly would! I would love to see companies do this- i don't think they ever would because of reputation- if someone saw the damaged/ uneven/ doll with bubbles and the owner didn't explain and just said 'He is a Luts' others would get a bad impression of the company.

18. I think it'd be cool to buy a broken face or something to practice mods and faceups. It would be great for people who want to start doing these things without spending a ton on a full head.

19. Hmm.. I don't think I would. I have no skill with fixing things, so it would remain broken forever... Plus, if it was a full doll, the shipping and customs cost alone in some cases wouldn't make it worth it, even if it was discounted.

20. Um no I prefer my dolls to be great condition and very well done. I like high quality and this wouldnt be my thing. However maybe for others it would be a good opportunity.