1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you buy broken or damaged dolls, from the company?

Sep 4, 2008

1. I'm surprised no one's mentioned this, because I thought it was at least somewhat known - most companies aren't going to just throw out their broken pieces. Resin can be ground up and added back into new resin as a filler!

2. SRSLY :|?
      But then, then itll be lumpy wont it? *_*
      Maybe the cheaper companies might do that, but I don't think anyone like Volks would do that :?

3. No!! it does not make it lumpy or anything. It's ground to a powder. The surface of the doll is exactly the same, as the powder is suspended in a liquid that fills every space in the mold. This does not decrease the quality of the product in any way, it's simply recycling.

4. Hm... I would never mind a slightly damaged doll. Back when I was collecting porcelain dolls I would somethings seek out the damaged ones, because I knew they would be left alone in the store.

5. D.
      It all depends on the damage to the doll. Like there are some things that can be covered with make-up and given a story, like a crack in the resin can turn into a bad@$$ scar for a boy doll. But, fingers broken off, or crucial parts missing would be harder to do. Maybe a doll with a broken leg could become a war veteran! =D that's a pretty good idea!

6. I'd love to adopt some not-up-to-par dolls. They need love too, and you can always think up a creative backstory to explain their unique features. Scratches or chips could easily turn into scars and endless storyline material. And hey,if it knocks a couple bucks off the sell price, even better!

7. i actually have considered asking the doll company if they have any broken returns theyd be willing to sell me.i love broken things, even if i cant repair the damage, i can make something new out of it or for it. EX a doll arrives with a broken leg and gets returned, i would so buy it and even if i couldnt fix it, i could make a new leg, paint it silver and call it a prostetic leg :aheartbea
      and air bubbles = freckles. and deeper air bubbles can be filled in and made into moles:D

but i dont have enough courage to ask

8. Was going to add a poll, but I spent too long typing the options.
      But the poll options were:

A. Yes! I'd love to! It's a great idea

actually it depends on the amount of dmg but yep. I would

9. I would love to, I think having repairable pieces would be great, and a cracked leg/arm could be great for someone who wants deep scarring on one of their dolls.
      I personally would love to have a darktan doll, one with an uneven tan, I can already think of things I would do with it.

10. A for sure; I'd love to be able to buy broken pieces and what not. I need spare parts to practice scars/tattoos/blushing/etc on.

11. Sure! It will be interesting and yes, convenient money-wise. I wish it were possible.

12. I would definetley buy one. It would add to charcter in a way...
      But the possibilities of that from a profesional site are near impossible because of image..

13. I think a tan doll with swirls would make an awesome tree/wood spirit, I would consider buying one like that.
      You also have to consider how much time it would take to post each damaged piece, unless they just did it "grab bag" style, that's probably part of the reason most recycle the pieces into the new resin batches... but I wonder if this is part of the real reason for the difference in color from batch to batch?

14. My pick is option C. My SD boy is hard enough to cart around.
      More issues would be horrid.
      Mind you, one of his foot hooks was glued at an angle. XD
      So his foot sort of sticks out funny, and kinda makes it hard to stand him up.
      [This 'flaw' doesn't make me love him less. . . Just some times makes me giggle and think he is trying to act like a zombie. >w<; ]

Flaws can be neat, if done purposely.
      In this case though I don't want a flawed discounted doll.
      I'd rather make my own flaws >D Much more fun.
      Despite owning a doll with.. a bit of a foot issue. :doh

[Ps: Sorry if I posted here once before, I don't think I did 0.o
      Though I do remember bringing up Yi's foot some place.]

15. I would definitely buy broken or damaged dolls. They can be great for learning to customize, dye, even learning to do face ups and general blushing. It'd be fun to try to restore it without endangering my other dolls.

16. oh yes...I would buy them...I would feel sorry for them....

17. I would! as long as the face was nice and fine.

18. You would think that most of these companies would occasionally offer "factory seconds" at a discount. I would love to get dolls that have something quite fixable for a cheaper price. They could also if a doll say had broken fingers there is no point tossing the whole doll and they could sell the parts seperately so those of us who are constantly broke could just buy dolls piece by piece till frankendoll is complete!!!
      Even if the doll had a mongy tan you could always give it a dye job or spray paint it an even colour perhaps if enough of us emailed companies about buying seconds they may eventually sell them

19. Sure, that sounds interesting! I love rescuing abandoned inanimate objects and doing them up. It would make for some very unique dolls. :chocoheart

20. I wouldn't mind if there were broken fingers, uneven casting, bubbles... Give me a acceptable price and a doll that looks good when it's "good" and I will buy it. I would just see is as an art project to make it look good. :3 And it's so sad for those dolls being thrown away! Poor dollies.
      And I don't believe in throwing away stuff if it hurts the environment, so I would do it for the environment too as well as for my own greedy and artistic reasons :XD: