1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you buy for your doll a wig of dog hair?

Aug 22, 2016

?
  1. May be

79 vote(s)
    47.0%
  2. Never

89 vote(s)
    53.0%
    1. Why not? If it's well cleaned, removed of its smell, obtained in an ethical way that causes no distress to the dog and looks good I see no problem with it.

2. I would not, but that is because I am very allergic to certain breeds of dog (and pretty allergic to animals in general) so no matter how well washed or 'hypoallergenic' it might be I wouldn't take the risk.
      However even if I wasn't allergic, I would still find it a bit weird to be buying someone else's dog hair, in the same way that I'd find it weird to buy a wig made of someone else's hair, but would be perfectly fine with making one out of my own hair. I would probably consider it if it looked good and was well priced though, I'd just have to get passed the initial weirdness.

3. This is hard for me to imagine, because I don't have a lot of experience with dogs whose hair would make nice wigs! My two puppyfriends are English Bulldogs, and they both need constant brushing and shed like crazy--- but their hair is short and coarse and when I brush it off them it's like a pile of tiny little spiky bits. Absolutely nothing that could be made into any kind of wig, that's for sure.
      I adore dogs, so I wouldn't be grossed out by a wig made of dog hair... but since I tend to see my dogs more as "non-human people" than as animals, I could see a wig made out of dog hair possibly feeling oddly/uncomfortably personal... if that makes any sense?

4. I voted no, only because dog hair tends to make me break out. I'm quite allergic. I'm sure if it were washed and treated well, though, it would probably be just fine. All hair gets dirty and greasy. So I don't think dogs should get a bad rap just for being a bit smelly. All hairy animals smell when they're dirty. Even us. :XD:

5. Definitely a good question. :) I know that the underfur of the hairy dogs (e.g. collie) can be easily used for knitting though I've never tried that myself. No prejudices, I love dogs, I love their smell and the touch of their fur but I would hesitate to buy a "doggie" wig. It might sound strange but to me dogs are much closer to humans so I buy alpaca wigs (still prefer synthetic mohair though :) ) but I would never buy a BJD wig made from human hair, it is somehow too personal to me. Dogs are somewhere inbetween so I've voted May be but then I would definitely need to know that dog. :) Does it make sense a bit? :)

6. I was going to say no, but then I thought about the look on people's faces when I'd tell them my doll's wig was made of dog fur. :lol: Now I think I need one...

7. Ha, I used my son's hair to make a doll wig. He is totally creeped out by it, but I love it. So yes I would use dog hair if it worked for the look I had in mind, any fiber really if it was suitable. I've used feathers also. I really don't understand what's so creepy about a dog's fur? Animals that get regular hair cuts, what's the big deal? The animal is not harmed, it's not like leather.

8. Hmm I am not sure what to think of this one. I have three dogs, and I get it is summer and they are hot from all their fur and the heat, but eh.

It would ruin their haircut if you were to just take a chunk to use. but I suppose if you got them shaved or whatever you would have enough hair to make a lot of wigs. Maybe even enough to sell them online.

If someone was selling a dog hair BJD wig like on etsy of something, I would want to see the reviews first? Is it actually soft? Does it smell alright? And most importantly, is it a wig that I would actually want for a doll color-wise.

So I suppose it comes down to quality and price. If those two seemed legitimate to me, then I probably would be interested in buying if it fit my doll's character.

9. Haha i don't see an issue with it, its animal hair just like alpaca... I like the idea of using different hairs to create different effects! More power to ya!

10. my only two concerns would be the smell and allergies. I for one couldn't because i am allergic to all dogs, yes even the hypoallergenic. but i can understand wanting to do it. some dogs have nicer hair than people.

11. Sounds cool. :) I'm not into natural fibers (synthetic all the way), but I don't see dog hair as intrinsically different from other types of mammal hair. Go for it!

12. The only issue I see with it is that getting enough dog hair to make a wig, much less enough to sell them would be difficult. Now if someone had a dog that had suitible hair type and wanted to make a wig for personal use I'd see no problem with that.

I always find it somewhat strange when people say they wouldn't buy a bjd wig made of human hair, especially when I come from the African American hair community and everyone is always buying human hair wigs and weaves for themselves :XD: it's a billion dollar industry!

13. I honestly laughed when I saw this because of the gag gift I'm buying my friend for Christmas. It's a book entitled "Crafting with Cat Hair". xD Honestly, I wouldn't buy a wig made of dog hair because it feels kind of odd to me. But I am also squeamish towards human hair wigs because I can't stop thinking about who this hair used to be rooted to.

And an actual excuse I have is that I am allergic to pretty much all animal fur anyway. .-.

14. The only thing I would be hesitant about is 1. Dog hair can be more fine than human or alpaca hair. Sometimes this may make it difficult to keep the wig in tact. Another worry would be color. Dog hair may not take color (particularly a dog with dark color). Another concern would be length. Your dog would have to spend a few months growing hair to make a long wig and you would only have a certain amount for you. Then there is the allergy concern/smell concern because imo Yorkies have a distinct smell to them. I would try it for a couple of yours first!

15. "Doggy"-smell aside, it's just animal hair, so I wouldn't see it as any more off-the-wall than a wig made of wool or alpaca... But I probably still wouldn't want one for my own crew.

That's not because of any potential qualms over the material. It's because of my cat...

Mei can't stand dogs. 'Absolutely hates them, to the point of puffing up and snarling if she can smell on my hands that I've been petting one. I adopted her as an adult from a shelter, so I don't know a lot about her early life. I don't know if she was frightened or chased by dogs as a kitten or what, but the girl's got issues when it comes to the pups. I have a feeling she'd shred a dog-hair wig Tasmanian Devil-style the minute she got a whiff of it.

16. Hmm....I suppose it is about the same to use dog hair as alpaca hair, since they are both from animals. Perhaps the idea that we keep dogs as pets why it may seem strange. Regardless, I don't think I could put a dog hair wig on a doll I owned.

17. For me is a no, even if the dog hair itself didn't gave allergy I already had an allergic reaction to a product used to clean mohair in one shop, while others shops didn't affect me at all.

And since there's other animals like alpaca that have longer hair available I don't really see it becoming an idea for me to consider.

18. No, because I don't like how dogs smell and I have enough cat hair in my house to make my own wigs lol.

19. I voted Never. I agree with what others are saying that animal hair is animal hair, regardless of being alpaca, mohair, dog, etc, but I don't want any kind of animal hair on my doll. I don't care much for the look of it more often than not, and if I can't physically see how the animal is treated in person, I won't take the risk. I know most of these things are regulated, but it's something I just can't personally do. Even with human hair, I'll only use hair from people I know.

20. No, it'd be very concerned about the welfare of the dog the fur came from, in countries like China they butcher dogs and use their fur which is disgusting. There is no need to have real fur wigs when there are decent synthetic fibre/ synthetic mohair wigs available.