1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you buy for your doll a wig of dog hair?

Aug 22, 2016

?
  1. May be

79 vote(s)
    47.0%
  2. Never

89 vote(s)
    53.0%
    1. Hah maybe not :p but hey you never know

2. I have never considered this. But I know for a fact that Yorkie hair resembles human hair in many aspects and it's very different from fur, not to mention, hypoallergenic as well. It's got a pretty shade and all, I don't understand why people are grossed out haha. But in my case, I prefer synthetic fibers, that's just me. I like the cheap things :whee:

3. Dog hair is in general too wiry for me (even breeds that are supposed to be soft). I'd be much more inclined to buy rabbit or cat fur, but the fibers for a cat or dog are too short. I think there is something called an "angora rabbit" (not angora mohair, which is from a goat), which is longer.

4. I would have to say no to a dog hair wig. My reason being that I'm highly allergic to dogs (pretty much most animals with fur). I can only imagine going to a meet and someone's bjd is wearing a wig made out of cat or dog hair. It would be an awful day for me :horror:

5. I surely would, I have recently bought a lambskin wig for my doll and the quality is just amazing! So very soft and pretty

6. Ummm, probably not— I don't know, since Alpaca and synthetic fibers exist, after all. ;;;

7. I lean toward no. I don't like the feel of most dog hair, and I'd worry how my dog and cats would react to a "strange dog" entering the house. They're curious enough about different kinds of wool.

8. No. Pretty sure my cats wouldn't like it too much if a dog-scented wig came into the house.

#68 Selenae, Nov 20, 2016
      Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    9. I understand some people prefer synthetic fibre, but if you are willing to use alpaca or sheep wool then there is no reason why you should be grossed out by dog fur. For all the people thinking it would smell like a dog, obviously the fur should be properly washed, then it would be just like angora which doesn't smell like a rabbit & alpaca & sheep wool doesn't smell like a farm.

It depends on the breed of your dog & their hair of course, but I think it's a great idea if done properly.

10. I would say no because I kinda don't like natural fibers. I like synthetic fibers. One a side note, I would use some donated human hair as long as its clean.

11. Depends on how it looks on the doll. If it looks good, why not? :kitty1

12. I'm not a big fan of fur wigs in general so I doubt I would buy dog hair based on that, but I'm not against the idea. I have a Great Pyrenees who sheds tons of very soft fluffy hair. If it was cleaned, I'm sure it would make a great wig material. My sister once joked about making a pillow that was stuffed with our dog's hair because it's so soft.

13. Sure why not. If you can use alpaca you can use dog. As long as the animals are in good health and you can make it work, go for it.

14. I'm with others on the point of the health, sustainability and well- being of the donor is the number one factor - but otherwise source (dog, alpaca, sheep, human, plants, etc...) doesn't really matter in the decision. What matters to me is whether or not the wig is of the style, quality and price that I want.

15. I definitely would, if I liked the look of it. Of course how the hair was "harvested" counts, but if you think about it long-haired dogs often get shaved or trimmed and there's a lot of fur that would otherwise be wasted. With most dogs though I think the hair would be too tough to work with. I have personally tried to make a wig out of coyote fur from scrap leather for a smaller off-topic doll, and it was a nightmare. Doesn't lay nice at all. But maybe a little fluffy dog or a long-haired shepherd?

16. I wouldn't. I'm severely allergic to dogs, and like PP, if I showed up to a meet and a person had a wig made out of dog fur I'd have a crappy day. I can see why other people would, though.

17. Sure, why not? One of my dogs has amazing fur. Long, thick, fine...hmm...if I had a pet goat, I'm sure I'd use tne hair from the goat, so why not the dog too? I have a large vintage doll with a human hair wig. Dog hair, human hair, goat hair...what's the difference as long as no pain is involved for the donor...whatever, whoever it is.

18. I know with huskies you can get another dog when you brush them. I don't see why not as long as the dog isn't getting hurt

19. Hm...I'm not sure. Is dog hair durable enough for that sort of thing? I guess it would depend on the breed. But considering how much most dogs shed, I don't know that it would be a good thing.

20. See this is pretty much the same situation as people saying it's okay to eat a cow but not a dog because it's ''different", meat is meat and fur is fur so of course I would use it if i had some.