1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you buy for your doll a wig of dog hair?

Aug 22, 2016

?
  1. May be

79 vote(s)
    47.0%
  2. Never

89 vote(s)
    53.0%
    1. This sounds very interesting and I wouldn't mind trying it, because hair is hair.. but I guess people with allergies won't have much fun with it :sigh

2. I prefer Synthetic fibers, I have too many allergies, so even wool is something I avoid. So nothing against it, just not for me.

3. I have a mixed feeling about this...but I guess, the bottom line is if there's no animal cruelty involved, then I guess I'm fine with it...

4. Since it's from your dog and I'm sure you wouldn't be hurting him I'd be fine with it if you could remove the doggy odor. My dogs already smell doggy enough so I wouldn't want my dolls to smell too.

5. Nope, definitely not. Besides being grossed out at the thought (I am not a dog person), I'd be concerned about my allergies and the cleanliness of it.

6. I'd consider making one using my own dogs' hair, actually, but it'd take a long time to collect enough that would be useable. I think their ginger fur would look really nice as a short wig, though.

7. As a long time knitter and spinner who has processed more raw fleece than most people on this board will ever see in a lifetime, I'm lmao at the people who are afraid that the dog hair won't be clean enough, or will smell funny, etc.

Nice, clean fleece that comes from a sheep who wore a jacket is still way grosser than any yorkie I've ever seen. Y'all realise us spinners expect to pick poop particulates out of "clean" fleece, right?? XD

Of course, by the time you're using it to spin or make a wig, it's been washed lock by lock and is actually clean. But it's a lot of work to get it to that point. Honestly, dog fur can be cleaned exactly the same way.

As long as the person seemed to know what they were doing and the wig looked nice, I'd be totally on board with buying a dog hair wig.

(I used to have a beautiful Samoa/Malamute/Something Else mix who had an undercoat that was basically dog cashmere. Y'all better believe I cleaned that fluff, spun that fluff, and knitted the softest and least scratchy sweater in the world out of that fluff.)

8. Maybe. Long Yorkie hair is soft, and if it is the shiny golden color, it is very pretty. The wig would have to be well treated for odor though, no animal smell.

9. No, not for me. I have a very sensitive nose and mild allergies. I prefer synthetic wigs or faux fur wigs.

The wig looks good BTW!

10. Hard to say? I like really long hair on dolls and I'm not sure if dog hair could complete that.

11. I suppose it depends on the kind of hair. :) I wouldn't be totally opposed to it, especially if it looks good. Though my allergies might disagree with some breeds....

12. I wanted to make a wig with hair from my rabbit, but her fur is too short. :( (Also, she's hyperactive and hates sitting still for brushing...)

I agree that it's difficult to know the standards breeders have and I don't like the idea of anything being mistreated for fur, really. I would consider alpaca fibre, but I'd only buy from the uk as I know our animal welfare laws and although I can only view the farms online, at least I can contact them. I'd like to visit one.

Human hair freaks me out unless it's from someone I know. Tempted to grow my own, or get my nephew to grow his... He has nice straight, shiny hair!

Otherwise, synthetic is fine or I've just discovered plant fibres, which look interesting!

I'm finding people discussing the smell quite funny! Hair is the same, it's made of the same basic material, washed and dried. I remember seeing a programme on TV about a woman making a jumper from dog hair and when asked about the smell she said, "Have you ever smelled a wet sheep?" :XD:

13. I would! But for some reason if it was human hair, I wouldn't. And it's much less because of an "eww" factor than a, well, "energy/spiritual" one. Weird :<

14. My knee-jerk response is hell no! But after thinking on it ... well, why not?

I mean, I have human hair wigs for my Lusions and Trinities. It looks natural and the fibers are heavy and lay beautifully. Plus, they can be styled and washed more easily than the fake-fiber wigs. They can be curled with an iron and won't melt. XD

And for smaller dolls I love mohair to get natural curl.

I'd dearly love to know how is dog fur any worse than goat or alpaca or angorah rabbit? If you have a long-haired dog and it needs shaved in the summers, the trimmings would just get tossed anyway. If it works then why not make a wig? I'd call that recycling.

The way some people are reacting you'd think the OP had asked for recipes to EAT them or something. :XD:

15. I don't think I'm allergic so I'd buy as long as it was:
      Clean. It must be 100% clean and free of dirt, insects, etc.
      Ethically obtained. If it was gained in a way that caused pain, discomfort, or injury to the dog, I would not buy it.
      Reasonable price. This is based on my preference and is determined by other factors.
      It smells good. Sounds weird but I wouldn't want something that smells like wet dog on my doll :XD:
      It is a color and style I like. Once again based on preference and decided by other factors.
      It's soft unless intended to be otherwise. Self explanatory.

And that's about it, the same goes for any wig.

16. I had a Yorkie once and I can see where you're coming from, it's honestly not a bad idea. Though saying that, it's not for everyone so I think it would be okay if you were making a wig for one of your own dolls and using your own dog's hair because you've been living with them (so no worries about allergies too!) and you obviously care about them so you would be ethical about obtaining it.

17. What would the benefits be?

18. I actually prefer synthetic wigs for BJDs, which sounds weird given that I am an artist that uses a ton of natural fiber in my work (talking about 50-100 lbs of wool annually). I love natural fibers and have over 25 years of experience I spinning, felting, knitting, weaving, tatting and have used just about every kind of fiber that I could get my hands on. My family has also raised several different kinds of sheep, goats, llamas, and dogs through the years.
      I have used dog fiber (siberian husky and maremma) in the past, mostly for knitting and felting. It is lovely and incredibly soft if processed and cleaned correctly. The down I was using may be too fine for a doll wig, but I am intrigued by the silky long texture of yorkie hair. I am sure that a person willing to take on the challenge could make a really cool wig out of it.

However, while I use mohair wigs on my off topic antique dolls, I prefer synthetic for contemporary BJDs (although it really depend on the doll and specific wig). So I'm in the "maybe" category here.

19. From a long haired indoor cat maybe or a Rex rabbit but not a dog, I don't think it would work all that well. Best not to tell me so I won't know what I'm getting and I won't think about it.

20. No. I have allergies to cats and dogs. Most animal fur I don't use in general. Faux fur and synthetic only.