1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you ever buy an outfit for your bjd that costs more than the doll itself?

Oct 24, 2010

1. YES YES YES
      I see clothing as a work of art for me it's my favorite part of the hobby the cothes! and when you actually have these beautifully sewn, top quality fabrics and tailoring in your hands you know why they cost so much. Some of them are mind boggling.

2. Never. I can't imagine finding an outfit that would strike me as so awesome I would shell out that kind of money for. But then I prefer casual styles for my dolls, I.E. T-shirt and jeans.
      Still I see buisness suits that I love go for $100 or more. But still even if I absolutly love the outfit I just cant justify spending that much on one outfit that may only be used occaisonally.
      Where do I draw the line? Well I could pretty much safely say $80 for a buisness suit. If it is truely an outfit I can honestly see as being a sort of default outfit for one of my dolls, then maybe $100

3. I haven't spent more on an outfit than I have a BJD yet, but I wouldn't ban myself from doing such a thing. ;) In fact, I do see myself spending $300+ for a few gorgeous dresses for my girls when I get a job, I imagine it will just be a matter of time before I get more expensive ones even than that. Since I buy YoSDs ($400-$550), it's not that hard to believe I'll end up spending more than the doll is worth at some point if I can already picture myself spending more than half of they're worth on a dress already. What can I say? I love pretty dresses. :sweat I'd rather have less dolls and more clothes than more dolls and less clothes any day!

Although luckily for me, Rosenlied gives me a glorious middle ground. Lovely seamstress dresses at half the price! :D One of my favorite seamstresses is Klesis (I hope I spelled that right :|) and Rosenlied will have limited edition dresses by Klesis once in a blue moon. They're normally less than $100 including shipping, too! That's wonderful for me. To be able to get such lovely dresses at a fixed, shop-set price instead of it getting bid up and up on an auction site.

Sorry to stray off-topic a bit. :doh I tend to ramble about things like this. But yeah, I'd spend hundreds and maybe even thousands on beautiful dresses, that sort of thing makes me really happy.

4. I did once, but the doll was 150 and the dress was 150, so ye xD
      I really don't want to go higher than that tho. I guess because it's enough money to buy another doll for.
      And yes, most clothes are worth their price, but seeing as I could buy a wedding dress that's 3 times bigger from that money for myself, it just doesn't add up enough for me to get dresses like that.
      There's plenty of well made clothes that are affordable luckily.

5. Would you be (or have you been) willing to spend as much on an outfit for your BJD as for the BJD itself? Why or why not?If your answer is no, where do you draw the line?

I don't see me willing to spend more than $100 for an outfit set. I spend $40 on a good quality single item once and awhile... but they are staple peices that I can leave my doll in happily for long periods of time (And I like to change their outfits so that's saying something). I also like dressy casual and casual clothing for my dolls though, I'm not into super froofy things with glittery bits sewn all over etc etc. With the number of dolls I like out there and my small wallet - I'd much rather get my dolls and a few nice but more inexpensive peices. This may change when I get most of the dolls I want but I doubt it. I dont even spend $100 on a single item for me expect for winter jackets lol.

6. No. I can't see spending more than $50 on a doll outfit though. I rather just make the stuff I want myself.

7. Well, if I had the money, I would readily do that. I know what work is behind well-made, good fitting clothes.

However, as I make these myself (up to shoes and armor), normally I would not spend money. Another probable way of getting beautiful clothes is trading. And this may be a possibility.

But as we have a very good sewing shop where you can also buy and have a look at hundreds of different types of fabric (and leather, too), I am pretty sure a lot of my money will end there - fabric, buttons, zippers, etc.

8. Depends on the doll and the outfit. My least-expensive doll right now is about $350, and my personal outfit spending limit is $150-200, so no. But the limit of what I'll spend on an outfit isn't really related to what the doll cost me; I'd be as likely to buy a $200 outfit for a $100 doll as a $600 doll, if I liked the outfit enough to spend that much on it.

9. Definitely...NO
      I rather spend the equal amount to buy tons of other outfit and match them into similar ones like the expensive one rather than spending that much to buy just one set of outfit.
      The same amount I could afford 10sets of other outfits :/ (maybe)
      I just find that..it doesn't worth that much D:

10. Would you be (or have you been) willing to spend as much on an outfit for your BJD as for the BJD itself? Why or why not?
      Definitely not, unless my BJD in question was bought cheaply for whatever reason. I don't care what other people do, and if they can afford to spend that much on their dolls, more power to them. I think it's awesome! But as for me, I have enough trouble trying to justify spending money to get much-needed clothing for myself, let alone one of my dolls. If it comes down to it, I'll just throw pieces of fabric on them, with safety pins keeping it all together, and call it good. (Hey, if it looks good on camera, that's all that matters!) Granted, if I see something I really want (or my doll really wants) then I'll see if I can either replicate the style (or have my seamstress girlfriend replicate it!), or try to save up enough to get it.

If your answer is no, where do you draw the line?
      The most I'd be willing to spend on a BJD outfit (not including shoes) is probably $120. Definitely no more than that. No matter how beautifully crafted an outfit is, I just can't see myself spending any more. I don't even spend that much on my own clothes, so why should I spend any more on a doll?

11. Sure, depending on the price. It doesn't matter to me which cost more. I have bought eyeballs that cost more than an outfit & a pair of shoes combined, because it was just the right thing I needed.

So far I haven't seen the outfit that would make me want to spend $1000, but I would spend the $300-350 it takes for some of the ones I've seen. If I DID find just The Perfect Outfit Of All Time and it happened to be yea bucks, then yes, I would throw down for it. It'd have to be seriously perfect, though.

But I already find incredible quality stuff, in the styles I want, in the $100-200 range-- so I haven't really had the question come up. At least, it seems easy to find "reasonable-spendy" fanciness for the 60-70cm boy sizes I need, which is a good thing. My favorites are HZ and DollHeart and AnotherSpace, sometimes Volks, and I don't think I've ever had to go above $250. But I guess if I had girl dolls, and I really liked those couture looks for them, I'd be splashing out some silly money for some Soda gowns and those mad-exquisite Japanese ateliers you see selling at Dolpas.

12. For me it's not so much a matter of how much a doll cost or not, it's that I won't spend more on a doll outfit than I would spend on clothes for me. So at the moment, that means I top out around $200 or so for a doll outfit. It's not that I won't buy several expensive items, back when Mio was actually sending out orders I bought a few nice skirts, tops, and sweaters from her, as well as I've bought several high quality outfits at Japanese doll events, but spending $300+ on a single outfit.... not so much, because I just won't do that for myself and I come before any of my dolls. I do appreciate all the hard work and design of those 300+ outfits, just like I do for human size ones, it's not something I am willing to spend the money on at this time. So while I can appreciate say a DDK outfit, I never expect to own one, and honestly they tend to be froofy for my tastes.

I do tend to prefer higher quality things and I've loved having the chance to see things in person. I'm not all that cheap with my dolls, my first choice for eyes is Silver now that she takes pre-orders <3 I just tend to also want to spend money on things that directly benefit me (or well my husband and daughter) more than my dolls.

13. I haven´t read all the replay yet, and i´m like you, new to this hobby. But I agree whole heartly with you, we thought the same at one time ^^!

Meanwhile I´ve drawn the line at the piont where the doll-clothes get equally expensive or more than my own. If I´m not paying that much for an outfit for myself, I´m definitively not spending that much for dollclothes.

14. Would you be (or have you been) willing to spend as much on an outfit for your BJD as for the BJD itself? Why or why not?:
      No i would not, and have not. every time I see an outfit for as much as a doll I think "I could get another doll for that." I would much rather have a new doll then an outfit that's not even going to be on my doll all the time. I get tired of clothes, I don't get tired of dolls.

For SD I'll spend up to about $60, but only if I really like it, and it is made well. I live near a doll shop that sales mostly secondhand stuff, so I usually spend around $20.

For MSD I'll got up to about $50 for the same reason as with SD, but usually spend $20 or less.

I just make all my yo clothes.

15. The only time I've ever spent that much on clothes was for myself.
      I could never justify spending more that $50 for a doll outfit. Especially since I could get a nice dress or shirt and jeans for me with that money. :I
      And my doll wasn't that expensive.
      I mean maybe if I'd fallen in love with the outfit...but anything over $50 has me wondering where I should spend my money.

16. I don't think so. First, I haven't seen clothes more expensive than 250$ and if they exist, ok, I can't afford them, so... I enjoy clothes, may be, sometimes, more than the doll itself, but I suppose I have my own limits although I have quite expensive outfits and shoes for my dolls. Not being a millionaire don't helps in this task too.

17. Would you be (or have you been) willing to spend as much on an outfit for your BJD as for the BJD itself? Why or why not?

It depends on how much the BJD cost. I can't see myself spending $1300 on an outfit for one of my dolls. But for another doll that only cost me $200? If I saw an outfit that I absolutely adored, I might spend that much (or slightly more).

It took several months of convincing myself to buy a $300 designer dress that I absolutely adored. I figured that I'd rather have that dress than to buy ten dresses that I didn't love over the next year. The same would go for doll clothes, even if it means that their dress sets are just as much. I suppose I draw the line on the actual spending. Getting that nice dress (either for myself or a doll) means cutting spending on other clothes, that's all.

18. I have definitely spent more on Chae-ri's clothes and wigs and such than on the doll herself, but never on a single outfit. I'm also a seamstress and love to sew for her, so if I saw an outfit that cost megabucks I'd do my best to make something similar for her myself. Not identical, of course, but close enough to satisfy me.

19. My cheapest doll was in the range of $250-ish, and I would have to say no, I would never spend more than that on a single oufit either for him OR one of my more expensive dolls. I have only ever once purchased a fullset outfit that cost more than $100 and in the end I was sorry to admit to myself that it didn't feel worth it. That doesn't mean I won't in the future still shell out the cash for another pricey fullset, but it wouldn't reach the point of nearing $250 (about half of that is how high I'm willing to go).

That isn't to say my dolls don't have pricey ensembles however. I have one boy in a $50 top, $35 pants and $45 boots, which equals to an $130 outfit and I absolutely love it. But it was not a fullset which is what I'm assuming the OP is referring to as I did not buy all the pieces at the same time and I was able to pick and choose the various elements of them. So to answer that way, then yes, I could eventually see my boys wearing outfits that cost more than my $250 cheapest doll, but it would be from pieces I bought at various times, not all in one go.

20. no way xD
      i barely even buy clothes for my dolls, i would certainly not buy ONE (not going really far with just one outfit...) outfit that cost so much! even though it wouldnt be more than the doll, i wouldnt even pay 200$ for an outfit :/ (100 is my maximum xD)