1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you ever buy an outfit for your bjd that costs more than the doll itself?

Oct 24, 2010

1. I wouldn't ever spend more than my doll costs for an outfit. I Probably sound like an awe full tacky cheapskate but my spending limit for any one out fit is about $50 dollars:sweat

2. My absolute top limit for a well made intricate outfit is about $250, which is more than my cheapest doll. It would have to be perfect as-is with no unwanted pieces though, I'm not paying that price just so I can use the pants and box the rest or whatever. Some of my separates are pretty expensive on their own, put together on one doll I'm probably close to the limit already.

3. I like MSDs in the $300 - $500 range, and I can't imagine spending even $50 on an outfit. This is mostly because I have yet to see something that didn't make me think that I or my mother could make it better (but I am sure there are lots out there!)

On the other hand, I could see myself spending a LOT of money making the perfect outfit, because I am such a perfectionist... so I can understand why people charge a lot, I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much myself.

4. Me too... I love making them and it is very rewarding, but not necessarily a money saving solution to a doll deprived closet. Once the dolls and the outfits get home I never think about cost.

5. I think it depends on my which BJD in my fam would actually use the outfit for the purpose of a photo shoot or to fit a character. I guess the limit is definitely $100.00 for me.

6. The most I've paid for was for Volks Suigintou's clothes, ~$500. That's about the same price as the girls that wear it. Those are the most expensive clothes I own--for a person or a doll!

But that's probably my true limit and Suigintou is a very special case to me. My most expensive doll is about $1200 and a lingering part of me still kind of regrets it. Therefore, I don't think I could handle the guilt paying anywhere near that much for just one set of clothes!

7. Well, it depends which doll I'm talking about, I'm willing to spend (although I haven't yet) around $160 for an outfit, which was my Bisou Ai's price. Especially if the outfit is very rare/detailed/perfect for a doll of mine or commissioned. I'm planning outfits to commission and bought a couple DH Fukubukuros recently, but until I have a really good job, around $100 is usually my limit. Spending the price of an SD, around $500 on an outfit might be a little much, but it depends how much you want it. ^^

8. Never never never would I be tempted to buy an outfit that cost more than a bjd!! (unless the bjd was free ;D )
      Obviously the total wardrobe will eventually be greater than the cost of your bjd, but I think there are so many bargains out there that can easily be customised with a little bit of practice that there really is no need to spend such a great amount of money. Not when we have a fantastic resource like DoA to make beautiful things! XD

9. I might, if the outfit is really really attractive and I really really like it. But well, at this moment, I can't imagine myself doing that.

10. Would you be (or have you been) willing to spend as much on an outfit for your BJD as for the BJD itself? Why or why not?

Personally, I wouldn't want to spend that much on an outfit for my doll. I like sewing so I prefer to make things for Elyssa myself, but if I did buy her something I probably wouldn't spend any more than $60 on one item.

11. if had enough disposable income, i would drop several hundred bucks on a BTSSB or H.Naoto outfit for my MSD. *_* and then love it and regret it all at the same time after realising i could have spent that same amount of money on the same outfit for MYSELF XD

i would seriously love to have some burando for my doll... if i could afford it.

12. The original question gives a ton of leeway for answers since dolls can vary so greatly in price. My most expensive was $575, and my least expensive was around $275. I can't imagine spending that much for an outfit for any of my dolls. My mother has an adorable BB Lucky that was only $80, and I have spent more than that on one outfit.

The most expensive single outfit I have is around $95 dollars from Dollheart and it consisted of six pieces including a lined wool coat. It's beautifully made, and I love it. It's worth every penny and more. Still, I couldn't see myself spending too much above that for anything... maybe $150 for something really special--like a cyberpunk piece that was really inventive for my SD girl.

Increasingly, I sew my own clothes and can get as intricate or simple as I want. Most clothes out there just aren't my dolls' styles, so I might get ideas from things I see and then incorporate that in a piece that works for my doll. Using fabrics from clothes I don't wear allows for some very lovely materials without extra expense, and I keep a tub of fabric and repurposed clothes handy for sewing. Making a special outfit myself gives me a sense of satisfaction and pride.

13. i would not pay more for him then i do myself for clothing. so no i would not. but i would rather do it all at once and save on shipping. right no i have the outfit picked out but my problem is i want everything for him with this outfit, including socks, underwear, and a jacket. so on separate pieces i would never pay more then i do on my own clothing but all together it is going to cost about $100 (but that is with shipping) which is more then i will pay at 1 time but about as much as some of my outfits.

14. Nope. I prefer sewing for my own dolls, and even if I had purchased an awesome outfit, I would probably get sick of it after awhile and want to change outfits. That's one of the reasons why I sew my girls' dresses myself, so that I can constantly sew different outfits of my personal taste and change their outfits X-D But if I did buy something for my dolls, my max budget would be $100 - I'd rather much purchase new shoes and/or wigs though.

15. (Not picking on you directly, reality_chaser. You're just echoing what others have said.)

This is really funny, considering how many people posted in the "I wouldn't spend that much on my own clothes" thread. :XD:

16. Emma's cost (with faceup) is almost $300. If there was a dress that cost that much, I could just get another doll.

Doll or dress... I'd pick doll. An outfit is kind of insignificant if it costs that much. Especially if the outfit costs over $1,000 - I could get 3 more Dollmore Kids with face-ups (and free shipping, and possible the special gift no one knows about).

$1,000 for a dress - or even one doll - just seems outrageous to me. I have to be realistic in how much, and how long, I want to save, and there's no way I'd ever succeed in reaching $1,000. I mean, people always say if there's a doll you really like, save up for it, but you really also need to think of how far you're willing to go - and $1,000 is way over my limit.

Plus what am I going to do with that outfit? I'm going to have to keep in perfectly secure somewhere, and take it out only once or twice. I'd be way too scared to take it out of the house, worrying it will get dirty, or something. The more expensive the item, the more psycho crazy I get about protecting it. In fact, I wouldn't even spend that much on an outfit for myself.

For any singular outfit, I think I wouldn't feel good about spending over $20-30.

17. More than my doll? No. But that's 'cause she cost me like, $1000. I'd buy another doll with that. However, I have spent $200 on clothes. D:

18. When I got my first doll, I bought her a limited edition outfit, and I think I spent about $120 on it.
      Even though that isn't more than I spent on the doll, in my case it was not worth it. It was neither custom, no OOAK, and the fit was not great. The skirt was nice and fit well, but the shirt looked like it had been designed for a much thicker doll, and always fit really loosely. I might pay that much again in future, for a custom outfit from a seamstress who's work I liked, but in that instance I was paying solely for name brand, and I'll never do it again.

I enjoy making clothing for my dolls myself now, even though I'm not that great at it...

19. Kudos to everyone who responded. ^_^ There are some very well thought-out answers here!

Addressing my own question, I have yet to spend as much or more on an outfit than a bjd. (Although I've come painfully close a couple of times. :sweat) What it all seems to come down to is whether or not you see the outfit in question as a truly desirable piece of art in its own right (on par with the doll that's going to wear it).

Personally, I can't say this has happened to me yet but I don't know that it's out of the realm of possibility either. The circumstances would have to be pretty darn special. The outfit would have to be a knock-out of course, but besides that I think it would have to be a OOAK type of deal. I couldn't see it happening for a limited edition.

20. I think it depends on the doll too, If I ever get a Volks Williams I can't imagine spending $3,000+ for an outfit for him.